• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Eastern Front Expansion? Maybe Finland?

mattlach

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2011
Massachusetts
It's nice to see that the game continues to be expanded, with Rising Storm and Rising Storm 2.

Could never really get into RS WWII in the pacific, and I doubt Vietnam will do it for me either.

Something about fighting historical wars in a game as my own side (I am american) feels too jingoistic to me, and fighting on the opposing side doesn't do it either. That and the whole jungle warfare thing just doesn't work for me as well as the frozen eastern front.

The Finnish Winter War and Finnish Continuation War. Now THAT would be amazing...

Finnish weapons loadouts. Russian weapons loadouts. Heck, even Swedish "volunteer" weapons loadouts.

I wish I had the time and the skills to program mods. I'd start a project post haste.

If RS can get a Vietnam expansion, how about a Finnish expansion for HOS? I'd preorder...

As a Finn, I think it's a shame that the Finnish fronts in WW2 aren't really represented in any commercial FPS, but I can see why. It would be quite a risk to invest resources in that. Then again, there are lot's of things that would make Finnish front "easy" to make, for example data gathering: A lot of Finnish war documents and topographical maps are well documented and completely public.

Easiest way to include "Finnish" front to RO2 is to make maps about German troops fighting against Soviets on the Fenno-Soviet soil. There were about 200k German troops fighting in Lapland and a few "small" units fighting alongside with Finns in Karelia.

By the way, there was a mod in development called Karelian Front, but it died. Fortunately at least some models were "rescued" and those were given for IOM mod team.

Upvote 0
As a Finn, I think it's a shame that the Finnish fronts in WW2 aren't really represented in any commercial FPS, but I can see why. It would be quite a risk to invest resources in that. Then again, there are lot's of things that would make Finnish front "easy" to make, for example data gathering: A lot of Finnish war documents and topographical maps are well documented and completely public.

Easiest way to include "Finnish" front to RO2 is to make maps about German troops fighting against Soviets on the Fenno-Soviet soil. There were about 200k German troops fighting in Lapland and a few "small" units fighting alongside with Finns in Karelia.

By the way, there was a mod in development called Karelian Front, but it died. Fortunately at least some models were "rescued" and those were given for IOM mod team.
You mentioned Finnish troops in commercial fps games. Although if I am honest I wouldn't even know an exampel of any fps game that features Finnish troops wether it is commercial or independent. That being said...it really is unfortunate that Karelian Front died.

Upvote 0
You mentioned Finnish troops in commercial fps games. Although if I am honest I wouldn't even know an exampel of any fps game that features Finnish troops wether it is commercial or independent. That being said...it really is unfortunate that Karelian Front died.
A few mods have Finnish troops and some even focuses on the Finnish front in WW2. These are some that come to my mind:

Forgotten Hope mod for Battlefield 1942 has Finns as a one playable faction and a few maps for them. It really just scratches the surface.

FinnWars mod for Battlefield 1942 focuses on the Finnish front in WW2 and it has a ton of content. Unfortunately this mod only get's played around the time of Finnish Independence day (6th of December), when there are usually 2 full 50 player servers. The mod is old, so people are kinda bored to it.

Finnish Defence Forces mod for Operation Flashpoint has some Finnish WW2 action, but I can't really tell much else 'cause I haven't played this game. Later istallments for ARMA and ARMA 2 focus on the modern Finnish Army, so there aren't any WW2 in there.

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 has one map called "Mannikkala", where Finnish troops are represented by Germans. The map itself is semi-realistic; there is a village called Mannikkala in the Karelian Isthmus, where Finnish troops fought against Soviets. The topography in right, but it isn't 1:1 to the real area. Weapons, equipment etc are "a bit" off.

And then there are also many mods coming out in the future, which should contain Finnish troops:

FWW2 mod for ARMA may be the first coming out. It focuses on the Winter War and looks very promising. The "island" is based on the Taipale area and it's made in 1:2 scale.

Forgotten Hope 2
mod for Battlefield 2 currently has the eastern front in development, and there should be at least one map with Finnish troops.

If Immersion Overhaul Mutator mod for RO2 ever gets the Finnish front, then I think it would be the last of these three.

Upvote 0
It's nice to see that the game continues to be expanded, with Rising Storm and Rising Storm 2.

Could never really get into RS WWII in the pacific, and I doubt Vietnam will do it for me either.

Something about fighting historical wars in a game as my own side (I am american) feels too jingoistic to me, and fighting on the opposing side doesn't do it either. That and the whole jungle warfare thing just doesn't work for me as well as the frozen eastern front.

The Finnish Winter War and Finnish Continuation War. Now THAT would be amazing...

Finnish weapons loadouts. Russian weapons loadouts. Heck, even Swedish "volunteer" weapons loadouts.

I wish I had the time and the skills to program mods. I'd start a project post haste.

If RS can get a Vietnam expansion, how about a Finnish expansion for HOS? I'd preorder...

I have the coding skills for this, however not the modeling skills, Honestly I have to finish up a few other mods/mutators/content for RO2/RS before I could even tackle something like this.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by "you don't like fighting as your own side". Don't like the other side either. There are only 2 sides. The only "3rd" side would be the Swiss. And a game where you sit in the middle watching and laughing as you get richer might not go down terribly well.

No. This is what I mean.

Playing as an American in a war game (more so in FPS shooters than in strategy games), makes me feel too nationalistic. Like one of those raucous ruffians chanting "USA, USA" and "America, **** yeah" while bare-chested somehow succeeding in holding an american flag, a bud light and a bushmaster all at the same time, despite only having two hands, who don't seem to get that the film "Team America: World Police (2004)" was making fun OF them. :p

In other words, it makes me feel like the loud, obnoxious nationalistic international stereotype of an american, - especially in our times of much maligned american foreign policy. This is not the type of American I am, and I hate to feed the stereotype.

I despise nationalism, for any nation, and I despise raucousness instead embracing subtlety, higher education and still contemplation.

So, I can never play the role of an American in a war based FPS. The more recent, the worse, because of its association with Iraq and Afghanistan.

That being said, my grandfather fought under Patton in western Europe. As such it just doesn't feel right to fight against American forces either.

So, for me, the FPS games that are interesting, are intelligent, realism based shooters, set far enough back in history that they have emotionally mostly faded from current events (Vietnam is way too soon for me, but WWII is perfect) and also neither of the sides in the conflict (at least the portion in game) are American.

The Eastern Front (Russian Vs. German, some ~75 years ago) works for me. I can get into it more, without taking sides, without feeling nationalistic, and experience it for what it is, a solid, high realism (but not too high, like the Arma series) war game set in one of the most brutal conflicts in history.

I don't expect you to agree with me, but does this perspective make sense now?

Upvote 0
I have the coding skills for this, however not the modeling skills, Honestly I have to finish up a few other mods/mutators/content for RO2/RS before I could even tackle something like this.

I'd love to support something like this, but I haven't coded (since GWBasic in the early 90's) and the only modeling I have ever done was in the old Dos version of 3D Studio on my 486 :p

There are so many projects I'd love to get involved with, but I just don't have the skills for them :p

Upvote 0