• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

EA's CEO on Micro transactions

Not sure why companies would do this. If you pay 60 bucks for a game and then you have to pay more money to enjoy the game...why would you buy the game in the first place?

Good thing about forums/ social groups/ media outlets...is the second a company tries to do something this REDONKULUS we can uproar and cause alot of people not to buy their products.

The free market my friends :)

Have faith in it. If something like this happens...by any company. Lets be sure to have no part of it and insure their failure.

Upvote 0
Erm, does it sound that evil? I think he's not referring to DLC to ordinary retail games, but rather to free to play models. He distinctly said "play now, pay later".

I interpret what he says as: "w should make good free games that people really get invested in, so they gladly spend money on microtransactions for it", and honestly, I think that's a good idea. the Battlefield "clip" example was there to introduce the basics of the idea to non savy investors, I guess, and does not outline actual plans.

But then, it's not putting an "evul" spin on EA or Riccitello, so I guess my opnion on that is less valid...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that in the future, most games if not all, are going to be f2p with microtransactions. There are more and more f2p games every year, and the quality gap between them and the pay to play games is getting smaller.

Of course there are examples of some games getting more expensive. Specially the over hyped ones like Guild Wars 2, that is priced at 50 quid in Amazon.co.uk, which is double the price of standard PC games like Alien's Colonial marines, and it doesn't even have a DVD inside the box.

They probably think that the amount of fanbois will allow them to get away with this, and the sad part is that they may be right. Oh and its a pre-purchase, not pre-order, which means, pay now, play later.

Their excuse may be that it has no monthly fees... well, to me that doesn't justify doubling the price... because that only means they are charging me those monthly fees in advance. F2p games don't have monthly fees either, and they not only don't double the price of the product, they give it for free and live exclusively from microtransactions, and yes, Guild Wars 2 will also have microtransactions so they have no excuse for that abuse.
So IMO they can shove their 50 quid "free" game up their asses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that in the future, most games if not all, are going to be f2p with microtransactions. There are more and more f2p games every year, and the quality gap between them and the pay to play games is getting smaller.

Nope, a few years back people were saying the same thing about MMO's, how since everyone was trying to make one (to get at the fat WoW cashcow) it would be the future of gaming, but it didn't pan out that way, and neither will this.

The F2P model has proven itself, there is good money to be made there, and that's why we see all the big fish jump on the bandwagen right now, follow that money! That's just what they do.

But like any hot new market it'll become oversaturated with games trying to get a slice of the pie, infact it's allready happening, and then the profits will tank because there's to much on offer and not enough open wallets to share between them.

We'll continue to see F2P games, it's here to stay, but it won't be the end-all and be-all of anything, the cream shall rise to the surface and the silt shall sink to the bottom, it's just the nature of things, and there will allways be games where the F2P model doesen't make sense and won't work for them.

But it'll get worse before it gets better, we can expect to see companies try to monetize more and more things going forward with microtransactions (that often won't be so "micro"), even in games that aren't F2P but cost us 60 buxlol to buy, they will try to suck us dry any chance they get.

But it'll crash eventually, the cost of living is on the rise, but our paychecks haven't been rising, so there is a very natural limit to what we'll pay for, and how far we'll go along with it. Even the dumbest of fanboy consumers will eventually get sick of beeing hassled for coins and there will be a backlash.

Upvote 0
>clip
nzHns.gif

This is why we can't have nice things. If EAvision stopped fvcking up the terminology they wouldn't be evil money-hungry paedophiles.

Upvote 0
But it'll get worse before it gets better, we can expect to see companies try to monetize more and more things going forward with microtransactions (that often won't be so "micro"), even in games that aren't F2P but cost us 60 buxlol to buy, they will try to suck us dry any chance they get.

Already happening, the example is in my post above.

Upvote 0
Oh we've been on this downwards spiral for several years already, and this is just the latest symptom of it.

But it's starting to pick up speed now, and it will get much worse going forward..

On the other hand, you've got companies like Bethesda that adds a lot of updates with free content to Skyrim. Which is ironic, considering that they invented the very concept of DLC with their 5

Upvote 0