• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

dual core and memory

Jamer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006
Canada
Not knowing a lot about computers I recently added more memory to my wifes pc after a conversation with another gamer. She's running an intel dual core 2.33 with 2 gigs of ram with 4 slots available on a nforce 650sli.

I thought I would be able to add 2 more gigs for her but customer service where I deal told me it would never use all 4. I've had good luck so far and followed his advice going with three.

She tells me she never really noticed much difference but no big deal. Yesterday it was suggested to me that a dual core would run much better with 2 gigs instead of 3 which I found interesting and looking at system info it does not show 3 gigs installed but 2.75

So is this true and why? I would like to understand this. I also have a similar rig and building a new gaming rig soon. Maybe I'll need to step away from the dual core for gaming?

Thank-you for your time.

Last edited:
Ahh ok, that makes sense now. Thank-you Putz.
No Moyako, I put my old 9800 gtx in her rig so I new it wasn't that but thank-you for the suggestion.

I'll upgrade her to the 64bit version and then I can put the other stick in so she has all 4 gigs right.
I'd like to do this today but I'm assuming I'll have to take it in to have the 32bit xp removed first, correct.

Once again, I appreciate the help and your time.

Upvote 0
What's up with laptop manufacturers handing over a 32-bit OST when they have installed 4 gigs of RAM into their notebooks? Are they tarts?
I don't even understand WHY casual users needing a laptop even need 4-6 GB of RAM, but that's how they are sold these days. It seems like more of a marketing stunt, if anything.

I game with 2 GB on Windows 7 64bit. Works great. My sister has a laptop with 6 GB of RAM and uses it for web browsing, music, you know, the basic stuff. I told her to downgrade and just save the extra dosh, but she thought she would actually get benefit from it :rolleyes:

It's just a marketing stunt. More is better, and companies cash in on that.

Upvote 0
Also.. I may be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure it works this way..

Whatever OS you are using takes into account the physical memory from your video card into that maximum limit figure as well. So, XP 32-bit may have a max of 4GB of RAM, but not all of it will show up as being used in your system configuration because the physical memory from your video card is also being calculated as part of the 4GB maximum.

Capisci?

Upvote 0
Also.. I may be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure it works this way..

Whatever OS you are using takes into account the physical memory from your video card into that maximum limit figure as well. So, XP 32-bit may have a max of 4GB of RAM, but not all of it will show up as being used in your system configuration because the physical memory from your video card is also being calculated as part of the 4GB maximum.

Capisci?

True, this is my situation. Taking into account my two video cards and all else, I am left with 2.25GB out of 4GB.

Upvote 0