• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

dual artyllery targeting

In short:
1. keep artyllery targeting by binoculars
2. allow us also to arty area by clicking it on map too, so you dont need to do it by step one.

I think the reason why arty dropping has been done with binos in RO:Ost is because in actuallity the spotters would have to call in arty with direct line of sight, or at least close to it. Now, I can understand where your coming from because in RO:O, its very annoying when one has to be in sight of the target and Im sure that commanders could call in arty on map postions and not have to see exactly what they were shooting at.

The only problem with your second option for arty is that it may allow spawn arty, or close enough to spawn that it makes it impossible for the opposing team to leave. Just my 2 cents..........

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
problem with that is the officer would just sit by the radio and call in constant artillery barrages.

Not much of a challenge since he doesn't have to stick his neck out. The game would be constant artillery coming from both the russians and the germans. Would get annoying fast.

So very true, i lost count the number of times i've seen this done on Arad, where the squad leader and even the tank commander never leaves the Axis spawn, but spends the whole round just calling arty on single tanks,instead of leading his men into the fight.

Upvote 0
So very true, i lost count the number of times i've seen this done on Arad, where the squad leader and even the tank commander never leaves the Axis spawn, but spends the whole round just calling arty on single tanks,instead of leading his men into the fight.

Retards and newcomers you think? They will do it, no matter if my idea is on or not.

"So what about to never not cross road, because some retard can hit you by car."

Upvote 0
Leads to a game play issue.

This would allow the commander to instantly start calling arty on choke points, and behind the enemy objectives not visible to his or her team.

It's not an issue in real war, because you don't have the same guys fighting over the same piece of land hundreds of times, knowing every nook and cranny. That's not true in RO, where the maps will be pretty well known in a few days or weeks.

Upvote 0
Leads to a game play issue.

This would allow the commander to instantly start calling arty on choke points, and behind the enemy objectives not visible to his or her team.

It's not an issue in real war, because you don't have the same guys fighting over the same piece of land hundreds of times, knowing every nook and cranny. That's not true in RO, where the maps will be pretty well known in a few days or weeks.

1. arty is not infinite
2. not visible man? when you call plane and you see them, where they are, its not visible than? You are not able to call arty due to hill? So this is your right game play?

Upvote 0
You really don't need to get so defensive pal.

On some maps, there is a ton of artillery.

Even if teams get only 10 arty strikes, I promise you those 10 strikes will all fall consecutively unless you have an old RO vetern as officer.

and the point of having to see your target is that the other team gets an opportunity to prevent/delay a possible strike by killing the officer. As officer you would have to get your hands dirty if you wanted to get artillery kills.

And he wouldn't need to call in a plane if he knew the chokepoints, he would just run to the radio and call it in, and both teams would do it, so within the first minute of the game, artillery would be falling outside of your spawn.

Upvote 0
explain

We've already listed the cons that are already evident in RO. What you describe would not improve the game, yet possibly making it more frustrating.

explain why, is it hard to go by different way, to avoid fire? For me artyllery never kill me or not often. Maybe you die by first barrage, but if you are clever enough you dont die again, because you dont go to fire. Also there is time between strikes, so if you are not dumb artyllery is not impossible to cross if you run in right time and cover in right time. What you telling is not reason against my idea.

There is no frustration, there is just your fear of something new.

I am for realism in RO, and I think that its not realism to climb hill and than go back to radio if you know where they are by recon planes. When you go back to radio, this is valuable time and enemy should not be here when you call strike but instead your troops should be there. Or your team member will tell you "there is enemy around scholl building we need artyllery strike" so I must travel there and after that going back to radio? This is waste of time.

There is also situations when using binoculars for targeting should be better and more accurate, but second option will be usefull too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0