• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Drugs and buffs in trader?

omarfw

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Here Be Dragons
www.last.fm
I've noticed some ideas about the medic being able to dispense performance enhancing drugs of different types to players. This of course, can be abused.

But what if they were sold at the trader? You could have a slot to fill with a drug (or something else. this isn't limited to biomods.) that enhances stuff like speed or damage (yah i know, unrealistic) or melee damage or i dunno, jumping ect. Commandos could have two slots at lvl 3 and up methinks. or another class, if you think commandos already have too much stuff lol.

ideas. opinions. go.

Excellent idea!

Some military drugs
- Morphine to kill the pain (no speed reduction or red screen when on low health, long effective time).
- Amphetamine to speed yourself up again (would work perfectly with stamina bar, average effective time).
- Sedatives to increase accuracy (no breathing effect when aiming, steadier scope overall).
- Testosterone booster to increase soldier's strenght (bigger stamina bar, increased maximum health, increased melee damage, permanent effect but takes time to reach the full potential, expensive).

PS. Maybe some of these the medic class could distribute. Maybe he would gain some of them when reaching some particular level.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've noticed some ideas about the medic being able to dispense performance enhancing drugs of different types to players. This of course, can be abused.

With the revisions I made to my combat drugs suggestion, I don't really see how they can be abused. The buffs themselves would last 15 seconds and since they're class specific and mostly beneficial, they would encourage medics to keep jacking their teammates up on drugs. As it stands right now, I don't think the medic class is encouraged to heal their teammates as much as they should be. The primary reason being that medic run speed is ludicrously high and their survivability with the improved combat armor doesn't seem to fit the perk that well to me. I agree with the bloat bile damage reduction and the faster syringe recharge and heal amount (obviously fits the class). I think they should get a partial run speed buff, but drop it down to berserker level (15%). The medic class seems too "tankish" and not focused enough on supporting the team with the all important heals. I think fixing the hit box on the syringe would do a lot of good for the medic, but I digress.

But what if they were sold at the trader? You could have a slot to fill with a drug (or something else. this isn't limited to biomods.) that enhances stuff like speed or damage (yah i know, unrealistic) or melee damage or i dunno, jumping ect. Commandos could have two slots at lvl 3 and up methinks. or another class, if you think commandos already have too much stuff lol.

ideas. opinions. go.

It'd be cool if they sold specialized syringes that would do the drug effect. I want to say weight block of 3 or 4 with a price tag of 1000. Make the drug uptime : syringe recast time ratio 1:2. For 15 seconds of buff, it's a 30 second recharge on the syringe. It would also not heal you and share a cooldown with the red syringe (for all but those with the medic perk), making you more reliant on teammates to heal you. If they did add a combat drug syringe, medic syringe bonuses would apply to it. Either that or reduce the medic run speed bonus and body armor bonus by half and add in effects like:

Rank 2
Combat drug syringe discount 15%

Rank 3
Combat drug uptime increased by 5 seconds (20 second buffs: 30 recharge)
Combat drug syringe discount 35%

Rank 4
Combat drug uptime increased by 10 seconds (25 second buff: 30 recharge)
Combat drug syringe discount 60%

Rank 5
Combat drug uptime increased by 15 seconds (30 second buff, 30 second recharge)
Spawn with combat drug syringe (replaces spawn with body armor)

Here are the combat drug effects from the other topic. Replace "with his syringe" with "with his combat drug syringe" for all intensive purposes.
Here's the changes I'm making to my initial suggestion for the combat drugs:

Whomever the medic heals with his syringe gets the effect of a combat drug. The combat drug is different depending on what class is healed. Self medicating medics do NOT get the effect of combat drugs, as it could be fairly game breaking.

Berserker: Gains 15% additional swing speed and melee damage for 15 seconds. During this effect, the screen gets tinted slightly red symbolizing the feeling of invincibility (ala berserker packs from DOOM.)

Commando: Firing rate increased by 35%, and gains temporary night vision (Able to see in the super dark places like the stairways in Office and the basement in the police station). Reload speed is increased by 5% as well. Effect lasts 15 seconds.

Firebug: Run speed increased by 25% and recoil reduced by 30% for 15 seconds. This allows the Firebug to do hit and run attacks more effectively.

Medic: Medics who heal other medics temporarily increase the maximum health of the target medic by up to 50. It does not automatically go up to 50, but rather increases above 100 however much health is considered overhealing. Medics can heal other medics when their health is considered full (100+). The health gained in this way is temporary, and ticks down 1 per second until the normal health cap of 100 is reached.

Sharpshooter: Gains intense focus. Iron sights on the Handcannon and the Lever Action rifle now zoom in like the crossbow and enemy heads glow that bright red color that stalkers glow when commandos look at them, allowing for easier headshots. Effect lasts 15 seconds.

Support: Strong enough class already. Run speed increased by 10% for 15 seconds.

If the combat drug syringe were sold at the shop, it would be ok for the classes to self medicate as long as the drug uptime:recharge ratio were 1:2 for everyone but medics. The max health buff for the medic may seem a bit high and abusable, but I think it would balance out if the run speed and improved body armor aspects of the perk were toned down. The whole point of this game is to work as a team and not to go all John Rambo on the zombies and I really think that if those two aspects were toned down and the combat drugs added, you would see less and less games where it's a hard/suicidal wave and the last man standing is a medic just kiting everything around in circles capping them with a pistol and self healing to damn near full whenever they get hit.

Opinions/questions/comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Excellent idea!

Some military drugs
- Morphine to kill the pain (no speed reduction or red screen when on low health, long effective time).
- Amphetamine to speed yourself up again (would work perfectly with stamina bar, average effective time).
- Sedatives to increase accuracy (no breathing effect when aiming, steadier scope overall).
- Testosterone booster to increase soldier's strenght (bigger stamina bar, increased maximum health, increased melee damage, permanent effect but takes time to reach the full potential, expensive).

PS. Maybe some of these the medic class could distribute. Maybe he would gain some of them when reaching some particular level.

About the "breathing effect", this game doesn't have any breathing effect, does it? You aim to exact point for rest of ur life and it won't move anywhere. However this game should have it, sharpshooter perk would increase the control depending on ur lvl. With this, Sedatives would go perfectly on medic class. Every perk aside sharpshooter can enjoy this drug if medic gives em!

And amphetamine would work quite nice with stamina, this game should have that too. Especially medic, they can run faster than Mr. Pat forEVER. Stamina would (and will) bring more intense to this game. This is horror specimen apocalypse after all. You MUST feel agonized and pressure in this game. Right now it doesn't have that, and many things still needs to be fixed. But hey, this game only has been out for a month(?) or something!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Griever, thanks!

I think exactly like you wrote there.

PS. Didn't remember was there "breathing effect" or not. :)

No problems man :) Ur drug ideas sounded cool, it would really bring the "field medic" back to the "Field Medic" as it should be, atm there are no reason to call it "medic" since everyone can heal, etc. Medic can only run fast and have a tank armour vest and a bit more "effective" syringe.

Drugs, please!
Also make breathing effect and stamina to this game TWI!:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No problems man :) Ur drug ideas sounded cool, it would really bring the "field medic" back to the "Field Medic" as it should be, atm there are no reason to call it "medic" since everyone can heal, etc. Medic can only run fast and have a tank armour vest and a bit more "effective" syringe.

Drugs, please!
Also make breathing effect and stamina to this game TWI!:D

Breathing would be a bit much...it's already hard enough to aim while moving, period. And this is more of an arcade-style game anyway, so we don't wanna get TOO real. Stamina would be nice, though, but that's discussed in another topic or 4...

Upvote 0
Breathing would be a bit much...it's already hard enough to aim while moving, period. And this is more of an arcade-style game anyway, so we don't wanna get TOO real. Stamina would be nice, though, but that's discussed in another topic or 4...

Then why to shoot while moving, when u can just stand still and aim accurately? I only shoot while moving if im running away and specimens are close to me, and that's when i'm not even aiming (mouse2) i just blast the specimens away with headshots

Upvote 0