Dropping Weapon

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Fennich_FJR6

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 17, 2006
www.fjr6.co.uk
Just a thought, but when you get your weapon shot out of your hand, you drop all your ammo as well. Surely ammo would be kept in pouches not in your hands - if your weapon gets shot out of your hand you wouldn't drop the ammo as well. besides being more realistic not to drop ammo,its such a pain to try to pick up all the ammo as well as the gun. but if you choose to throw away the weapon you should drop the ammo with it.

Still, RO:OST is the best & most realistic WWII game I've seen so far - well done!

k9mike

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 4, 2005
Texas
Also, how bout just having an auto pick-up. I have been killed alot staring at a stupid gun that I'm trying to pick-up but its soo hyper sensitive with where your would be mouse curser is, that it makes it hard just to do something like pick up the damn stuff. I mean come on... it would just be simpler and with less bugs if it was just an auto pick up response. Just my opinion.

k9mike

takadi

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 15, 2006
I'm not sure what the developers think on this, there have been several complaints about this. Many have suggested keeping the ammo inside the gun when it is shot, and having the rest of the ammo in a pouch, but you would have to attach the ammo to the model, which would take extra code.

AceOfSpades

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 27, 2005
IMO, it should just be like AA. In AA, the ammo doesn't drop seperately from the gun. When you pick up the gun, you get the ammo. Unrealistic? yes, but so is having a difficult time gathering all the ammo on the ground.

Hyperion2010

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
NC
There is really an engine limitation that you cant get around since it would require you to drop old ammo as you picked up ammo for your new gun. Also atm ragdolls are clienside so you can have a "body search" function, it would kill the server.

vonRas

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 25, 2005
www.redorchestra.ru
This is one of the things that just look ugly and very unrealistic - when you shot someone you see all this stuff falling out. Same when a weapon gets shot out you see all those 6-5 magazines falling – (makes me think of AA as the most realistic game ever) . I think there is no place for it a "realistic ww2 military fps" game. Keep the magazines “inside the body” (or just presume they are there), if you pick up someone’s weapon - you just get one magazine, if it half-empty - that’s what you get - A simple and elegant solution which is really easy to implement.

Fennich_FJR6

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 17, 2006
www.fjr6.co.uk
I was thinking that, like in real life, if you get a gun shot out of your hands then you only drop the gun & the rounds/mag currently loaded in it. your spare clips/mags that are stored in pouches are still kept - a bullet that removes an ammo pouch from your belt is in all likelyhood going to remove your stomach as well. You should only drop your ammo if you choose to throw your weapon away or if you get killed (it would be better if the dead bodies stayed for longer & you had to get ammo from the body, but I appreciate that the performance would be hit with all the dead lying around)

breadtruck

Nov 21, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
Another thing about this...

picking up weapons/ammo is far to clumsy. I can live with having to look at what you want to pick up, but I shouldnt have to run in a circle/croutch/prone and tap "use" key multiple times just to pick it up.

AceOfSpades

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 27, 2005
Hyperion2010 said:
There is really an engine limitation that you cant get around since it would require you to drop old ammo as you picked up ammo for your new gun. Also atm ragdolls are clienside so you can have a "body search" function, it would kill the server.
It could just be made like AA then. No ammo lying around the ground, just pick up the gun and you got the ammo.

myzko

FNG / Fresh Meat
AceOfSpades said:
IMO, it should just be like AA. In AA, the ammo doesn't drop seperately from the gun. When you pick up the gun, you get the ammo. Unrealistic? yes, but so is having a difficult time gathering all the ammo on the ground.

In real it takes some time to loot a guys weopens and ammunition, so that it takes some time in this game is only realistic :) (you have to prioritize, maybe not the best thing to try to pick up that fine looking Luger + ammo in the middle of a firefight)

takadi

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 15, 2006
I think it's realistic in that you have to pick up individual things like the gun and the extra clips, but it's unrealistic in how each individual clip flies everywhere when the gun is dropped, shot out of your hand, or when you die.

messenger3

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 3, 2006
Prague
takadi said:
I think it's realistic in that you have to pick up individual things like the gun and the extra clips, but it's unrealistic in how each individual clip flies everywhere when the gun is dropped, shot out of your hand, or when you die.
I agree 100%.

takadi

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 15, 2006
Well I guess due to limitations, the pinata-like burst of clips can be still used for the sake realism so each individual clip can be pick up seperately. But two things

1. Don't have gun be empty. It should have however much ammo was used/left by the past user.

2. When the gun is shot out of your hand, don't have the reserved ammo clips fly out everywhere, just have the gun (with the ammo still left in it if there is any) fly out

TheBlackHand

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 18, 2006
Why not when some one dies and drops thier weapon or yours is shot from your hands, instead of dropping 9 stripper clips and a gun......, drop 2 bandoleirs (sp) (ie ammo pouches) full of stripper clips and and your gun.... less to pickup and thats where the ammo was kept.

Realistic still? Yes, more convienent yes!

SiFi

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
On those occasions when I've picked up a gun from the ground, it's only ever been empty when the guy who I bayo'd was reloading :)

Fennich_FJR6

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 17, 2006
www.fjr6.co.uk
It is NOT realistic in any way, shape or form to lose your ammo when your weapon is shot out of your hand. Unless there are magic bullets that can knock the weapon out of your hand, stop turn back & knock your ammo out of its pouches.

I don't mind dropping ammo if I choose to throw the weapon, and the scattered ammo is fine for when you are killed although it would be better if the dead bodies remained longer & you had to search them for ammo. But I really hate it when in the middle of a firefight my weapon is shot out of my hand (realistic) and as if by magic all my ammo is dropped too (unrealistic).

k9mike

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 4, 2005
Texas
breadtruck said:
Another thing about this...

picking up weapons/ammo is far to clumsy. I can live with having to look at what you want to pick up, but I shouldnt have to run in a circle/croutch/prone and tap "use" key multiple times just to pick it up.
This was my point exactly! Or, you will have a weapon you dont want sitting on top of grenades you want, but you cant pick it up because you can only make the mouse cursor report the weapon, which you dont want. Plus you cant pick up because you already have a primary weapon.:mad:

takadi

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 15, 2006
Fennich_FJR6 said:
It is NOT realistic in any way, shape or form to lose your ammo when your weapon is shot out of your hand. Unless there are magic bullets that can knock the weapon out of your hand, stop turn back & knock your ammo out of its pouches.

I don't mind dropping ammo if I choose to throw the weapon, and the scattered ammo is fine for when you are killed although it would be better if the dead bodies remained longer & you had to search them for ammo. But I really hate it when in the middle of a firefight my weapon is shot out of my hand (realistic) and as if by magic all my ammo is dropped too (unrealistic).

I TOTALLY agree with your first point, with the gun being shot out of your hand ONLY. It's just a matter of taking away some code, I don't see why it would be hard.

The second point is something I recommended, but the dead bodies are ragdolls, and the ragdoll engine isn't run by the server, it's run by individual computers, so that wouldn't be able to work because it would cause the server to crash. I'd say keep the bullets flying, except for when your gun gets shot out of your hand.

Ralfst3r

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
The Netherlands
A weapon switch like Call of Duty would be nice, just using the "Use" key. Without having to drop first, and pickup. Wich is annoying as it is, when something lies on top of the weapon you wanna pickup, it's hell to get.