• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

drop 9mm and knife

jesters puppet

Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2009
Engalnd
I have raised this on the forums before but i want to be able to drop/sell the 9mm and the knife. i want this for a number or reasons, firstly it will allow us to carry more weapons/kit, secondly the 9mm and knife become useless when you buy better weapons (whats the point in carrying the knife if you have a axe? whats the point in having a 9mm when you have dual handcannons?). thirdly the 9mm and knife clutter up the weapon selection bar, it is frustatrating when i must cycle through 2 mellee weapons and 2 pistols to get to your primary weapon (yes i am aware that i can use the number keys but i do not).
now i am aware that the 2 starting weapons perform to key functions, the 9mm is a flashlight, and the knife is a backup weapon (ie no ammo ect). and i understand complete noobs may be found dropping there knife and 9mm and then running around with no weapons and being killed (a bad player expirience, something TWI would want to avoid in there games) but this i imagine would be a rare occasion as only a complete nonce would drop all there weapons and be unable to pick them back up (this isnt ZPS folks XD) and anyone who was unlucky enaugth to do so would learn there lesson pretty quick. i am also aware that a loss of the 9mm would lead to people sticking in lighter areas/being at a disadvantage in the dark, but this would of course simply be a trade off for extra weight slots and something people would take into account when doing so.
also i feel if this decision were to be made perhaps replacing the knife with a maglite as a blunt mellee weapon/light source which is cannot be dropped/sold meaning both roles of the 9mm and knife have been combined and the 2 weapons made obselete (a last resort mellee weapon and a flashlight). of course this would mean that the knife would be more or less obselte as a weapon in the game :S which of course is a bad thing as its a old weapon from the mod and removing it would be a bad move, then again if removed it would make the machete a more viable option (reducing the over saturated range of mellee weapons).

No. The knife is useful for a lot more than "a backup weapon." My primary use of the knife is for traveling when I'm a ranged class, because it allows faster movement, and any other melee weapon would add more weight. As for the 9mm, I love the 9mm, as a sharpshooter it's my primary weapon in later waves.

If you're having trouble with weapon switching, you can bind the "Last Weapon" key, that should help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the 9mm and knife become useless when you buy better weapons (whats the point in carrying the knife if you have a axe? whats the point in having a 9mm when you have dual handcannons?).

Wrong. The 9mm and dual 9mm have less recoil and are faster than handcannon. I prefer them over every other weapon (I'm, a medic). Knife meant for speed and travel.

I see your point, and maybe people should be allowed to drop them but I like them :D

Upvote 0
yes i agree both are very good and useful weapons, and have there own niche in the weapons selection, i was not contesting this i was saying this is why we arent allowed to drop the two weapons at present, i was not bashing the 9mm or knife as i love the 9mm as a sharpshooter...knife....not so much XD all im saying is we should have the option to drop them in favour of other mellee weapons or pistols ;P

Upvote 0

Yea, I said the same thing. In later waves, the 9mm is my primary weapon as sharpshooter. It's insanely good at taking out the trash mobs with headshots. If a scrake, fleshpound, or siren shows up, bust out the crossbow to kill them quickly. If you're in an emergency and need to blow a hole through a large group of trash mobs quickly, spam the double handcannons. Those last two situations are not the most common though, most of the time I use the 9mm, to the point where I've run out of ammo for it before and had to switch to double deagles as my main. The crossbow is really not that good at taking out anything except super concentrated groups and heavy enemies, it's terrible in just common combat, you waste a lot of ammo.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why people could ever be against this. It's an option that we want! If you can drop them it doesn't mean that you have to. The fact that some people like the pistol and knife is fine but they seem to want to force it on us too. There's nothing wrong with more options people! Let us drop them!

Upvote 0