• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Doom2 Remake Pack beta/test version

lethalvortex

Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2009
First Release

of my pack that i have been working on.
it contains the first 1-10maps +2 bonus wolfenstein doom maps
the maps arent finished yet but people asked me if i could release a playable version. some maps u got to hunt the zeds will fix that. Alot will change in my final version. people report all bugs in this topic so i can fix them. thank you;)

download link.

megaupload
rapidshare
FileFront

some picture of the maps.

Imageshack

Reactions: rickyhorror
Linear maps can work in Killing Floor, but you've simply created one-to-one ports of the original Doom 2 maps. Entryway was pretty subpar, but the rest of the initial ten maps with all of the lifts, teleports, switches, keycards (How do you expect specimens who spawn behind locked key doors to open them?), triggered doors, great heights (Which assume no fall damage), damaging toxic waste sectors, and so much else all left intact? These are virtually unplayable. I could understand one misguided port, but I have no idea what possessed you to continue this far.

I hope none of these end up within a million miles of the whitelist because they're a perk leveler's wet dream.

Upvote 0
Linear maps can work in Killing Floor, but you've simply created one-to-one ports of the original Doom 2 maps. Entryway was pretty subpar, but the rest of the initial ten maps with all of the lifts, teleports, switches, keycards (How do you expect specimens who spawn behind locked key doors to open them?), triggered doors, great heights (Which assume no fall damage), damaging toxic waste sectors, and so much else all left intact? These are virtually unplayable. I could understand one misguided port, but I have no idea what possessed you to continue this far.

I hope none of these end up within a million miles of the whitelist because they're a perk leveler's wet dream.

agree with you that some maps arent very playable yet. but im still working on way around the keydoors.just tough it be fun to play for a change. i continue this pack coz i had alot of people requesting it. i wont do anymore doom maps, thats what i told myself:p
i just finish this pack to make it more playable. not sure what u mean with perk levelrs wet dream on all maps we almost never get to the boss wave on medium let alone hard. the maps have 1 time faster spawns then normal maps.

Upvote 0
not sure what u mean with perk levelrs wet dream
There are dozens and dozens of spots that specimens cannot reach or attack. The following is by no means thorough, but simply what I came across in about 10 minutes of playing:

Map02 - I chose not to hit the switch so all the specimens that spawned were simply trapped behind the pillar. Free kills with no threat for me.

Map03 - I activated the teleporter bridge and used the other teleport that leads to the rocket launcher platform. Most specimens couldn't reach the teleporter because the bridge was in the way. The specimens that could reach the teleporter couldn't use it since I was blocking the exit by standing where the LAW is.

Map04 - I stood on the box where the red key is. No specimen could jump up.

Map05 - I just picked a random ledge and waited to see what would happen. Not surprisingly, the specimens could not figure out how to navigate through all these lifts and invisible jumppads.

I stopped looking at that point.

Upvote 0
ye i know about these :) but about map2 if u dont trow the switch u cant shop either. since trader is behind the wall.il make a way for zombies to get around. map5 ye i dont know why they all want to use 1jumppad wen i added 2 there-_- but will look into it. tnx for pointing it out:)

Just downloaded your map pack. I gotta say, IDK how you do it, but they sure look good so far. I will be adding them to my server here in the next hour and see how they do. These songs and levels sure bring back memories...Now lets see if I can remember all the secrets and everything I used to know by heart. =)

Upvote 0
Ok I did play most of the maps so far. So far I like the old version of Entryway better(the final). As for the new maps, I noticed a lot of issue with the doors, mostly opening and closing by themselves all round. A lot of time the keys would not work. Doors would not let you close them, they were basically automated. On map 7, if you were inside the square you would get trapped inside because the doors would all close up and you could not get outside to the trader. Those are the main issues I have seen so far. Overall, the rebuild quality of the maps is just outstanding IMO. They look exactly like the original maps did. Great job on the replications. Just fix the few bugs in them and they will be great. Ill keep searching for bugs as I play them more.

Upvote 0
the maps are portet very well. the scaling is very good. all secret doors are there. doom is alive again. good work.

but there is a big problem. the game mechanics are not compatible.

doom is about getting to the exit. there are a lot of obstacles: monsters, closed doors and hazards. u have to overcome them to escape the level.

killingfloor is about enduring a level. there will be preasure put on u. u have to fight to stay alive. a trader sells u better equipment to stand the next, harder wave. win all waves to escape the level.

doom maps need to be adapted to fit the killingfloor gamemechanics. to port them 1 to 1 is a great achivement but its in vain.

+to make this project a big sucsess i would transform these beautyfull levels to dm-levels. no keys, stairs instead of lifts and cutting down rooms that are useless or to big.

+next step would be to retexture all the levels with KF-textures and create intresting eerie, spooky and demonic lightning. if u insist on using doom textures there are highrez versions out there and 3d models for nearly every prop that apears in doom.
try it here: http://forums.newdoom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73[url]http://forums.newdoom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73[/URL]

+at last i would ask robot if i could use his wonderfull "zeds-jump-@-any-place-out-of-the-floor" effect and use it to spawn the monsters in the most challenging way in the face of the players.:p

even if u put away anything i said let me asure u: u did a great job. keep it up.

Upvote 0