• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Don't wear a striped shirt on TV

OK -- thanks for posting your thoughts. This sounds like something I can't adjust within the SDK Editor. I haven't dabbeled in actually making textures so I think I am at an impass for the time being.

I have reduced the effects of sparkel and glitter of the furrowed ground a bit by being a bit more subtle in how I actually paint the furrows onto the terrain map. Just a real light tap tap of the paint brush such that the layer just begins to show through as the upper most layer. But I still get the sparkle effects at a distant -- again this particularly prevelent when looking at the furrowed ground from a moving vehicle.

Upvote 0
Did you create mipmaps when you imported the texture? If you didn't import it but you took it from a package, just export it and import it again into your own package (e.g. myLevel) and check the Create Mipmaps checkbox.

Thanks very much Murphy. I'll give it a whirl after work today.

I feel like I have learned an incredible amount about the SDK Editor in the last 5 or 6 months -- than I listen to you guys diagnose a problem, and I realize I know very little about the thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Foo'bar. Played your rc03 version of Alte Ziegelei over the weekend. Amazing work! Love the tank hull down entrenchments you added as well as the bunker complex by AZ. I am hoping FK#4 server picks it up in the near future, but have been discouraged by their seeming lack of interest in RO. I think most of the FK guys are playing other games now.

On the furrow field\farm fields textures used for terrain layers -- I did make progress in terms of reducing the amount of "sparkle" seen on the furrow texture during game play. But my solution was -- dare I say -- an artistic approach rather than a technical solution.

First I paint the furrows onto the terrain layer just like any other terrain layer painting. Then I make the paint brush extremely large and with the same furrow texture selected I begin to subtly apply negative brush strokes. Use real subtle taps on the mouse key while doing this. The underlying layer begins to show back through the furrows. I continue the negative brush strokes until the furrows are only just visible through the underlying layer. The furrows still show up pretty well during game play -- although they are more subdued. The sparkle is also reduced considerably. What I also did was to use the dry dirt terrain layer as the underlying texture. That way the layer that begins to show back through the furrows is dirt rather than grass or the like. You just need to make sure the furrow terrain texture has a higher layer number than the underlying dirt layer.

I also apply negetive brush strokes to any decorative grass layers in the furrow areas -- just like roads or the like.

Best Regards
Jeff

Last edited:
Upvote 0