• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does the PPSH have too much recoil?

Does the PPSH have too much recoil?

• Yes, change the recoil back to mod levels (reduce)

Votes: 94 60.6%
  • No, keep the recoil as is

Votes: 61 39.4%

• Total voters
There's been a lot of talk about changing the recoil to be more realistic. However it might be that there is a silent majority that thinks it's fine, so I think this poll should be a sort of end all conclusion.

Personally I think it's too much. The mp40 and stg44 have comparabley very little recoil. Reallife videos show that it was much more controllable than in game. Anyways this isn't an arguement just vote in the poll please :p

I find it somewhat irritating that this subject keeps coming up. At least the Russians have a choice. You can take the '40 which has decent recoil/accuracy at average RoF and a drum mag, the '43 which has improved accuracy but a box magazine (still better than the MP40 IMHO), or the '41, which has lousy UNBRACED accuracy but a ridiculously high RoF.

Personally, I prefer the '40 because it behaves similarly to the MP40 (which is the SMG I'm used to) but has a ton of rounds in the drum.

If you don't like the '41's recoil, which is a bit high, then simply choose one of the other 2 SMG's. At least you have the choice. Of all of the SMG's available, I like the MP40 the least.

Cry "realism" all you like. We're fighting battles where only 16 men in a division can be represented at a time on a map that's usually about 2km square, with no fear of death. How "realistic" can it possibly be?

Upvote 0
Well, depending on the map I can average around 20 fps, but it's still too high.

As a rifleman, I shouldn't be able to turn the corner to face an SMG about 25 feet away that's already aiming at me, only to have him fire, spray everywhich way around me, and give me time to ironsight and shoot him in the chest.

It's at the point where I don't fear the PPSh. Odds are, the person using it won't hit me.

Unless they have under 20 fps. :p

Upvote 0
I don t know the mod recoil but the PPSH-41 needs to get toned down a little bit.Specially while standing and leaning the PPSH-41 has an uber recoil.In fact while standing and leaning all smg s have too much recoil although they are better to control as the PPSH-41.

Of course there are other weapons to choose,and everybody in a clanwar or ladder fight will choose the guns which are easier to control or are better.So why not make the PPSH-41 are bit more realistic and controllable?

Upvote 0
I think the recoil is just fine. If you lessen it, it will end up being a smg sniper gun. In the mod the mp40 was extremely accurate thanks to low recoil. It was to the point where one was able to snipe with it as if it was a rifle.

I love playing with an SMG, be it ppsh, ppd, mp40 etc. and I think the recoils are perfect. They add a great, fine balance to the game. I have no problem what so ever taking people out with the ppsh.

The other day I was playing Koitos as German. I stole a ppsh from a dead russian and started capping the ammo storage. I set up on the last window and rested my weapon. The Russians started attacking my possition, I must of took out some 5 Russians with the ppsh. Eventually they got through and stormed the place and I was fighting close quarters. Still I managed to take out several Russians.

At any point I didn't think the recoil was too high even when moving while firing. The 72 drum magazine makes up for it. I can let loose and know that out of the insane ammount of round comming out the barrel 1 or 2 will find their mark.

In the end, I have gotten use to all the weapons, and can use them fairly well. The smgs and STG more than rifles as I use those the most. It just takes time getting use to the recoil, now I have no problem compansating and controling my weapons.

Upvote 0
The recoil for smg s is in fact fine,expect while standing and leaning for all smg s! It won t destroy the balance when makeing the recoil more gentle while standing for smg s as at the moment everybody just goes into crouch and then fires.In fact in ladder wars/clanwars everybody just takes the smg s with less recoil when playing as russians.It s about realistic recoil behaviour for smg s while standing and leaning and the great part of the deal is,it won t destroy the gameplay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rogers1337 said:
they are too accurate on the fly if you ask me. Iam charging someone a mile away with a ppsh, they look at my standing or crouching and I die. Sorry thats too accurate. DO NOT CHANGE THE RECOIL, IF ANYTHING INCREASE IT.

Amen for the first

Rak said:
Seems fine to me too. Mod was suffering from PPSh rambos, and Ostfront completely eliminated them.

If there's a recoil issue that needs to be toned down to mod levels, those are the MG's.
Amen for the second

so, No for less recoil

Upvote 0
I think the recoil is just fine. If you lessen it, it will end up being a smg sniper gun. In the mod the mp40 was extremely accurate thanks to low recoil. It was to the point where one was able to snipe with it as if it was a rifle.

Im not sure, but doesnt bullet ballistics also make the gun inaccurate at longer ranges? I dont know how much it would drop, but sure gets hard to hit beyond 100m?
The recoil is nada, but bullet drop makes it diff to adjust the range... And also as the bullets have long traveltime, its diff to lead the shot...
THis is more question than a claim...

Upvote 0
I say remove cone of fire for mp40/41/44 all ppsh:

-less spray and pray, more hope for people who can control recoil to be effective past 50 meters.

-If you make the smgs more accurate (taking away cone of fire, gun will fire realistically ie: where the gun points).

Reduce the amount of "up wards recoil" but more of side to side recoil, then it will be more realistic, more use for smgs, and take more skill than it does now.

(they will have to aim where they want to hit and fire in bursts to be effective, rather then praying and holding down the mouse button on iron sights)

Last edited:
Upvote 0