• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does the PPSH have too much recoil?

Does the PPSH have too much recoil?

• Yes, change the recoil back to mod levels (reduce)

Votes: 94 60.6%
  • No, keep the recoil as is

Votes: 61 39.4%

• Total voters
Upvote 0
SilverSheep said:
I think that there should be less recoil in the first one second of fire with the PPSH and increse over time. Now you can tap fire with insain recoil or just spay. Most cases you just hose the target and if you decrease recoil overall you will increse the range too much and people will not aim it at all.
Exactly. I think that is the way to change it. Dont mess with the accuracy, but make it so the first few shots are more manageable. That way, rambo-style is still discouraged, but everyone can still have the opportunity to place fairly accurate bursts if they take the time to aim.
Makimaki said:
I say remove cone of fire for mp40/41/44 all ppsh:

-less spray and pray, more hope for people who can control recoil to be effective past 50 meters.

-If you make the smgs more accurate (taking away cone of fire, gun will fire realistically ie: where the gun points).

Reduce the amount of "up wards recoil" but more of side to side recoil, then it will be more realistic, more use for smgs, and take more skill than it does now.

(they will have to aim where they want to hit and fire in bursts to be effective, rather then praying and holding down the mouse button on iron sights)
There is NO conefire. The innaccuracy you feel using the SMG is due to the shake of the gun itself. Same for the MG's.

Upvote 0
I don't care if the PPSh doesn't recoil as much in RL as it does in the game. This is weapon balancing were talking about. Maybe the PPSh did slaughter a lot of krauts back in the '40s, but if the recoil was like that in the game, then being a german would suck nuts. The recoil has to be high in order to keep it a fair and fun game, hell, I vote increase the recoil because the Russians have enough of an advantage submachinegun-wise as it is. I'm tired of being killed by crazy-assed, PPSh toting, non-aiming Communist bastards.

Upvote 0
[tR]Mad Mac said:
The innaccuracy you feel using the SMG is due to the shake of the gun itself. Same for the MG's.

In red orchestra try firing a mp40, just single shots. Notice bullets flying 5 meters off where you aimed? I do.

There is no such things as steering bullets because of the gun shake, the bore is grooved and the bullet WILL go where the gun is pointing, up to a certain distance of course, but a bullet will not fly around by itself!

Some info:

-MP40s were accurate up to/around 100 meters.

- The PPSHs were effective up to 200 meters.

In game were looking at accurate around 30 meters for each of these guns, which is understandable considering games need to be balanced, and should stay this way unless someone is creative enough to see a different route

I love this game, enough to complain about these small things, don't take me to seriously, I just want to make my point.

Upvote 0
This is my wishlist:

Smg s:

-More recoil while shooting from the hip

-less recoil while standing and leaning when using IS,at least when using burst.

-less muzzle flash and smoke puffs.It s really hard to tell if an enemy is down or not when he isn t close speically with the PPSH-41.Of course the muzzle flash and smoke puffs are nicely done and help makeing the shooting not too sterile.Still, in my opinion they shouldn t appear that much,more like every 15 to 20 shots when it comes to the muzzle flash.The smofe puffs while shooting are also very thick and block the view pretty heavy,and i would love to see this become less.

Did anybody notice that while using IS and beeing crouched and walking the IS shake more than while standing and walking?

Thx for readig

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Makimaki said:

Yeah, and he's standing. In RO, don't expect to hit your target with any weapon while standing. I think the submachinegun recoil is way overkill to make up for the small size of the maps. If the maps were more spread out, they could bring it back down to reality.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
Yeah, and he's standing. In RO, don't expect to hit your target with any weapon while standing. I think the submachinegun recoil is way overkill to make up for the small size of the maps. If the maps were more spread out, they could bring it back down to reality.

His barrel is also wandering quite a bit. I think the PPsH specifically has too much recoil- the rest of the SMGs are all right.

Upvote 0
Phoenix-D said:
His barrel is also wandering quite a bit. I think the PPsH specifically has too much recoil- the rest of the SMGs are all right.

That was too much recoil? He was firing fully auto and the gun barely had troublesome recoil :p. The PPSH41 was really a feared weapon. And with an effective range of 200 meters you should atleast be able to make rifles stick there heads down in cover, now in RO you could just take your time and aim if you're being shot by any smg with a distance greater then 30-50m

Upvote 0
Prone rested the thing has some majorly low recoil.

You have to remember that you must actively (ie pull down) control the gun's recoil. Sometimes I think that it has too much, but then I use it like it was used IRL (burst from a supported position) to give covering fire for an area and more often than not I get a kill.

You cant just expect to point and click with the thing, though perhaps shaving off just a tad of the lift when stading might be inorder.

Upvote 0
Dheepan said:
There's been a lot of talk about changing the recoil to be more realistic. However it might be that there is a silent majority that thinks it's fine, so I think this poll should be a sort of end all conclusion.

Personally I think it's too much. The mp40 and stg44 have comparabley very little recoil. Reallife videos show that it was much more controllable than in game. Anyways this isn't an arguement just vote in the poll please :p

In ironsight or hip ?

I just woud like to know that for sure.

cause, in my opinion, they are from hip, "ok", but while using in ironsight, the recoil coud be lowered. Specialy while crouched

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Sometimes I think that it has too much, but then I use it like it was used IRL (burst from a supported position) to give covering fire for an area and more often than not I get a kill.

You seem to mistake the roles of smgs and mgs. Mg's are supposed to be fired from a supported position, smg's are most certainly NOT designed to be fired while supported. They're supposed to be easily handled firing full auto while standing/moving, they're for assaulting positions after all. And this is something they can't do effectively ingame. It may be "balanced" in the eyes of some people, but it's certainly not realistic. The balance of classes is highly skewed and unrealistic ingame. It's frankly a joke how dominating the bolt action rifle is compared to the mgs and smgs.

Upvote 0
Rak said:
Seems fine to me too. Mod was suffering from PPSh rambos, and Ostfront completely eliminated them.

If there's a recoil issue that needs to be toned down to mod levels, those are the MG's.

Agreed.
I voted no
The PPsh you can control after a little practise.
The Mgs should be more effective. Less recoil and the ability to reload when undeployed would fix that. Also hip shooting with the MG42 should be hard but not impossible.

Upvote 0