• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Do you use the mortar visual trajectory?

Do you use the mortar visual trajectory?

• Yes

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 45 51.1%

• Total voters
Simple question. I found that it's not really needed. I can get lots of kills with it by just adjusting the range and looking at how far the enemy objective is. Then I just set my range to match closely to the distance from the objective, and kill enemies around it.

I never did use the visual thing. So does it really help as much as it is intended? I would still be able to use it very well with out it. And since it's unrealistic to have a laser pointer on it, I would remove it from the game.

I'm surprised the alpha testing group felt this UI element was needed at all when we have objective markers and maps to estimate our distances. When I try to use the glowing orange arc, I find it's very inaccurate and I often have to dial the range ~20m more than where I am actually aiming to hit the enemy. I wouldn't mind at all if this was removed from the game, but I also wouldn't mind if it was kept since I think it is absolutely useless and doesn't help the mortar operator at all.

Upvote 0
I think there is some confusion in here between the range tool (the trajectroy line when in knee mode selecting range)

And the big red circle you get when you press X which i dont understand?? Some one said you can mark a spot on the map to fire into with it....but i cant figure it out?

The rajectory line should stay, it gives you the feel you would get in real life which you cant get in the game for trjectory on that scale.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised the alpha testing group felt this UI element was needed at all when we have objective markers and maps to estimate our distances. When I try to use the glowing orange arc, I find it's very inaccurate and I often have to dial the range ~20m more than where I am actually aiming to hit the enemy. I wouldn't mind at all if this was removed from the game, but I also wouldn't mind if it was kept since I think it is absolutely useless and doesn't help the mortar operator at all.

Funny you should mention that...

Until the open beta phase, the distance at which you set the Type 89 was where the mortar round would land (additionally, the orange arc was an accurate approximation of the flight path and the "destination" of the fired mortar round). During the open beta, a lot of people complained about the Type 89 being "too accurate", so TWI made some changes such that there is now a wider radius in which the mortar will land. Since that change, for some reason (intentional? unintentional?), all mortars rounds fired while using indirect-fire mode will land 20-30 meters short of whatever range you've set (example: you set the Type 89 to 100 meters, you'll kill or team-kill whoever is 70-80 meters away from you)

I honestly have no idea if that is intentional, but I think it's worthwhile bringing attention to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't use it myself... I use direct fire and "guesstimate" how far up my screen I need to point the mortar. I'll maybe lose a round or two narrowing-down the range, but I usually do alright.

I think it feels more dynamic and exciting to be seat-of-the-pants... and for me, the range trajectory feels like a "normal" mortar rather than a quick-deploy guerrilla weapon.

Upvote 0
My problem with the Light Mortar is I feel it is actually underpowered now.

I have always assumed it to be a counter for the strength of the US Flame Thrower.

There has been debate about the trajectory guidance, with the round often falling 50-70m short of the set trajectory.

Someone commented that you must be on a 100% flat/even surface but I have still seen the mortar rounds fall short.

This makes it highly unreliable to use and even if the mortar was closer to being accurate, you really need a team mate to spot for you when using the indirect fire.

The Mortar was also nerfed during the beta, the splash damage used to be much larger, which made it pretty effective to use even with the inaccuracy.

I can find myself blasting the wall right next to an enemy target and he survives. This would never happen during the beta.

TLDR

-Improve the accuracy of indirect fire
-Increase the splash damage slightly

Upvote 0