• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do you block ads?

nejcooo

Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2012
ADS. HATE THEM. Mainly because of disgusting stuff people show there and ruin my expirence online. Not to mention popus and all annoying **** this terrible greedy generation comes up with.

So what are your thoughts on ADS, blocking ADS, and do you use blocking software? Also do you use additional ad blockers for non browser software?

I mean I would prefer cleaner websites. But the money has to come from somewhere and I personally think that it's a pretty sweet ride that instead of paying I just have to be subjected to some ads.

I generally would agree with you but I still block ads.

For several reasons, for example many ads are for cars or other things I can't afford or wouldn't buy anyway (like women hair products). Which makes these ads pointless and even if you can skip them they still waste your time and bandwidth (and the companies waste their money on you).

Ads steal bandwidth, pop-ups are a no-go and if you get really lucky ads can give you a virus. And simply ads sometimes mess up websites (for example if the whole background is an ad).

Facebook ads deserve to be blocked without any further explanation.

I have a subscription for the magazine of the main gaming website I visit, so no need to pay them twice.

And btw I don't have an adblocker on my smartphone so they still get "some" ad money from me. Also there are ads everywhere else too (TV, newspapers, in the streets, in your post box, in your email inbox, etc.).

Very few youtubers truly deserve getting a "tip" for their work. I try to compensate that by sharing their channels.

Upvote 0
Ads steal bandwidth, pop-ups are a no-go and if you get really lucky ads can give you a virus. And simply ads sometimes mess up websites (for example if the whole background is an ad).
Oh my gosh I hate that crap. Though I don't see those ads often enough for it to be a bother. If I went to wikis frequently I would probably get ad block just for those.

Upvote 0
I don't undestand why would someone just block some sites. It just takes more work, and as he said you have higher chances of getting rekt by some adware or some other ****. It's really not worth it, even though I like some stuff, if someone puts ads somewhere, I have no empaty if that's how they make money.

Upvote 0
I disabled flash and I'm unblocking some websites but mainly yes! I know they have to earn money but:

- I don't want to see a '45 sec ad before a 1min video.
- I don't want to have a website background that is animated like sh*t and add overlayers to the content i actually wanted to read.

If the ads are placed so you can still read anything without getting cancer - Ok I'm fine. Also if i need to click through a survey, ok! But if I see a "fan-gate" (Facebook Like to Unlock Page content) -> I never visit this page again.

Another reasons:
- Page load speed / Traffic on mobile devices. A big NOPE! If a page loads 2 times longer just to show me the newest toothbrush, I have to block this crap.

Upvote 0
Noscript/notscript user. I'll allow the domain and any auxiliary associated with it (eg: twitter needs twitter.com and twimg.com) and if necessary any trusted external domain for embeds (youtube, amazon AWS, googleusercontent, etc). It does in effect block most ads since they're usually from an external domain but the primary reason I choose to use it is to prevent script running from domains I don't trust. It also greatly speeds up page loads as some sites (usually MSM news) reference over 50 external domains.

Upvote 0