• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do players suffer effects of bullet hits?

ChaoticRambo

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
What I mean by this, is that in developer interviews before the game came out, I remember them talking about players being affected by the location they were shot.

So when you are shot and not killed instantly, you bandage yourself up, are there any other downsides? I have not noticed this myself in game, then again I also have not tried to test this myself.

This was one of the big selling points of this game, that each area on the body was an individual area that would cause different effects if shot. So if they are not causing a reaction, what was really the point?

I would like to see, if for instance you were shot in the leg, you would not be able to sprint at all. If you were shot in the arm, you could not hold your rifle as stable. If you were shot in the chest (in a non vital area by a small caliber), you could not sprint for as long and have slightly delayed reactions.

I hope this is just something I have not noticed, and not another feature that was advertised and not in the game =/

There is different damage on body parts, I shot a guy 4 times in the legs the other day and he didn't die. Was with ppsh (small round)

Don't like games where you shoot legs and they die. If I keep shooting your foot your not going to die :p

Wish there was a game that modeled the body kind of like how tanks are modeled in game.

A round penetrates the body and has to hit a vital organ to kill him. Not take so much damage away from a health point system. Guess the HP system could "simulate" blood.

Upvote 0
It would be an extremely bad move to add it back in. Why wouldn't I rather be dead then to have to walk around at half speed or with an inability to fire my weapon properly?

As far as I can tell it does affect you in that it lowers the amount of damage required to kill you by the next bullet. So if you have been shot twice already the area a pistol round would kill you in would increase.

Upvote 0
It will be added back in, right?

RIGHT?!

I'm sorry, TWI seems to think we will all mass suicide.

There's a divided opinion on things like sway and bolting speed. But when it comes to the whole wounding/bandage system, the majority can pretty much agree that the current system is utter crap and doesn't actually contribute much to the gameplay at all.

I wish they would see this and add the effects back.

Upvote 0
It just seems like a lot of the really unique features of this game that were advertised so heavily just aren't there.

And honestly, I am not going to play a game that I have to rely on modders to FIX aspects of the game instead of only creating new content. This game has to be one of the worst to come out in a while if you look at what they advertised and talked about so much, and what actually made it into the game.

Upvote 0
It just seems like a lot of the really unique features of this game that were advertised so heavily just aren't there.

And honestly, I am not going to play a game that I have to rely on modders to FIX aspects of the game instead of only creating new content. This game has to be one of the worst to come out in a while if you look at what they advertised and talked about so much, and what actually made it into the game.

I am fully willing to give them time to implement features that didn't quite make the cut at release. It is very normal for developers to take out features so that they can make the release deadline.

I however do not think it's fair if they remove things that are highly requested by the community, just because it didn't quite work out internally. Especially considering that the current wounding/bandage system does not make any sense without it.

Upvote 0
Why is seemingly everyone on the forums assuming the damage system is final and never to be changed? I'm not going to deny that the current system is lame and nonsensical, but that is also why I strongly believe it is only a half finished feature to be replaced in the future. The game was rushed to meet the release date, I very much doubt tripwire is happy with all aspects of the day 1 release.

At present, there is a detailed indication where you are hit and how severely (undamaged, yellow and red) but there appears to be no features taking advantage of this detailed damage model. Obviously, the intention was to at the very least be as detailed as RO1, but pressumably the feature was not finished in time for the release.

The bandaging system is rather inconsequential. You get wounded, you have a few seconds to hit CTRL to stop the bleeding. Sometimes you are in a position where you want to find cover before bandaging, which means you may bleed out before you can stop it. Most of the time however you just hit CTRL right away and a second later you are ready to keep on fighting. Lame, and obviously, not a finished feature.

I don't think the act of bandaging yourself is there for immersion or anything. If made entirely realistic it would be an incredibly boring and pointless feature. What it does however is making the damage model more detailed and less simplistic. You are not going to get killed from being shot in the hand with small caliber guns which is a flaw in many realistic games that goes with the "1 hit, you're dead" model. That is lazy.

Once fully implemented, bandaging will become a way for the player to get hit from sloppily fired shots from unseen enemies without recieving a cheap death and being forced to respawn. Imagine having an MKB user spraying randomly through the walls of a building and killing you without knowing you were there. That would be incredibly frustrating, but it would also be frustrating if you could hit people several times over and they won't die from it. Bandaging becomes the middle ground, it makes it so you don't need to be 'randomly' killed by sprays of bullets, but it also makes it so that every hit does have some kind of consequence, if only not a frustrating cheap death. It takes you out of the fight, but not as long as it would take having to respawn and get back to the front. A middle ground.

Once fully implemented, that is. As of now, it is just some very basic framework for a future addition to the game. A placeholder feature until the final model is implemented and ready for tweaking over the coming years.

Upvote 0