• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dismemberment Is A Bit Silly

Al_Ka_Pwn

Sep 5, 2011
The dismemberment in the game atm is a bit to eager to have people fly apart it seems.

In the trailer when the running soldier gets hit by an artillery explosion both of his legs get blown off and he goes down and it looks really good, like a war movie, but in game if the same thing happens, his head, arms and all his legs will fly off. Like his joints are all made of paper mache and the first stiff breeze from an explosion will blow them all off.

The same thing is true with the german grenades and russian grenades. Now it's a little more understandable with the german grenades since they were purely explosive, but if you are caught on the edge of the blast radius of it, and not standing almost on top of it, it looks ridiculous to have 2 legs and one arm blown off.

Also it looks silly for the russian fragmentation grenade to take off limbs since its based on shrapnel.

Also will we get torso dismemberments? it's a bit silly to hit someone in the stomach with an anti tank rifle or HE shell and watch their arms leg and head pop off with an intact torso rolling around

Also what is on the limbs that get blown off? it looks like theyr'e wrapped in bandages when they lay there after getting blown off. Anyone elaborate on what that is?

The dismemberment in the game atm is a bit to eager to have people fly apart it seems.

In the trailer when the running soldier gets hit by an artillery explosion both of his legs get blown off and he goes down and it looks really good, like a war movie, but in game if the same thing happens, his head, arms and all his legs will fly off. Like his joints are all made of paper mache and the first stiff breeze from an explosion will blow them all off.

The same thing is true with the german grenades and russian grenades. Now it's a little more understandable with the german grenades since they were purely explosive, but if you are caught on the edge of the blast radius of it, and not standing almost on top of it, it looks ridiculous to have 2 legs and one arm blown off.

Also it looks silly for the russian fragmentation grenade to take off limbs since its based on shrapnel.

Also will we get torso dismemberments? it's a bit silly to hit someone in the stomach with an anti tank rifle or HE shell and watch their arms leg and head pop off with an intact torso rolling around

Also what is on the limbs that get blown off? it looks like theyr'e wrapped in bandages when they lay there after getting blown off. Anyone elaborate on what that is?
I mostly agree, but the Russian grenade will surely also create a shock wave?

Upvote 0

Do they happen to look anything like these -

_-Red-Orchestra-2-Heroes-Of-Stalingrad-PC-_.jpg

Upvote 0

Not sure it would be the most pleasant of sights, Id rather not see a Russian screaming as his bowels fly across my screen.

I mean I can barely stomach disecting pig lungs for biology...

Upvote 0
You are entering a *splat* restricted area
Gah every freaking time! I was holding off a point as Russians and killed about 6 guys, staying in one place (a little bunker on Spartanovka). Suddenly we lost the point (Just my luck that my teammates retreated eh?) and then RESTRICTED AREA! *peeeeeewwwww BWOOSH!* There I go, Mr. Torso man.

Reactions: ptx
Upvote 0
Hehe, it's so ridiculous... But dismemberment isn't the real problem, it's the restricted area thingy... But I do hope that dismemberment will be toned down a little, it's not that I have a problem with it, but it's sometimes weird to see someone being shot by a rifle and blown to pieces...

Upvote 0
Not sure it would be the most pleasant of sights, Id rather not see a Russian screaming as his bowels fly across my screen.

I mean I can barely stomach disecting pig lungs for biology...

Well war wasn't pleasant, but it wouldn't have to be so graphic, but just have it be there so that a shot to somach doesn't cause the arms and legs to shoot off.

Upvote 0
Would you rather have invisible walls? :rolleyes:

DH had mine fields that worked pretty well with skull signs letting you know they were there. In RO2, you don't even know you're going into a restricted area. I've gone a couple of places that I was sure was OK, only to get blown to hell - down by the train tracks in Grain Elevator if I recall was the one place that seemed wierd.

Upvote 0
I have seen a couple of people get killed by grenades for no apparent reason have their arms and legs pop off.

Reminds me a bit of those crash test dummy toys when I was a kid.

Also when players die from the restricted zone thingy their bodies look a lot like zombies when watching them on chasecam.

Upvote 0
I mostly agree, but the Russian grenade will surely also create a shock wave?

Actually he has that completely backwards. The German grenade is an offensive grenade and kills purely by over pressure. You are far less likely to see ANY blood with a German grenade than with a Russian one. The Russian one is a DEFENSIVE grenade. It has much more explosive in it AND shrapnel. It's blast radius is larger, and the radius that shrapnel can kill at is up to 200m. I know that sounds nuts, but the idea of when the grenades are used is different.

The German grenade is used when you are running up to that trench and a Russian is in it waiting for you. You want the grenade to kill him, but leave you untouched. The Russian grenade is used when you are in the trench and a German is running at you. Because YOU have cover, you want the grenade to kill as many people as possible as far away as possible.

So the German grenade has no shrapnel, and the blast effect is limited. If you are in that foxhole with it, you may be dismembered. If you are not, you may not even get scratched - the over pressure will not be enough to kill. The German grenade is essentially a big flash bang. It kills by overpressure, but it is mostly about disorientation. He may be deaf and blind after the grenade explodes, but not dead. But because you were using it while you attacked him, that is all you need. It gives you the time to cover those last few metres and kill him.

This is also why the German grenade works better in confined spaces rather than out in the open. The smaller space allows the pressure to get much higher and more damage can be caused.

It's also why the Germans used a stick design. You need to be able to throw it more accurately and further because it has to be close to the enemy to kill them. The Russian grenade is about being able to carry a lot of them, and because they have such a large effective radius, you don't need to be as accurate or get them as far. You just need to remember to take cover first, because you can not throw the grenade as far as the grenade can throw shrapnel.

I don't think this has been accurately modelled in RO2 for balance reasons. Maybe I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be any difference between them in-game, anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is a noticeable difference in throwing distance between the grenade designs that is reflected in-game. But the effectiveness of each grenade is about the same. What would be cool, is if shrapnel was actually built into the Russian nade. It might cause considerable hiccuping when the server has to calculate the ballistics for each fragment (multiply that by the number of grenades that go off any given minute in an RO match), but damn it would be cool.

Upvote 0