• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Disappointed in Rainbow? Me 2, thinking about starting a UT 3 mod

Loads of old school fans seem to bash Vegas's third person view because Raven Shield has made them forget that Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear had third person in it. I'd like to see third person in this mod.

Yeah but it is hardly effective. You cant really shoot straight from the third person perspective, for me it's only there for looks and i never use it, save for those annoying stealth missions.

Btw, i also wouldnt mind having cross-hairs only and no weapon visible.
For some reason i allways liked to think about the reason for no visible weapon to be, that the weapon wasnt shouldered but lower and pointing at the ground, like you see the characters do a lot in replays. That way, it wasnt in your field of view, but it wouldve been annoying to have the weapon to pop up back in view for every kill you make, so it just stayed without a weapon model.
But ofcourse that would not be the case, still, that's the way i liked to think about it, and still do hehe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They could have an improved third person.

Would hardly remain a realism mod then, wouldnt it?
As said, for the original games it wasnt a functional gameplay position for the camera, i cant imagine why they put it in in the first place since you cant do much usefull things with it.
The first person is the heart of the game, and should be for any realism mod or game.

Upvote 0
third person and realism aren't mutually exclusive. :O You could very well make a realistic third person game, it's just a change in perspective.

True for a part, but that perspective would allow you to peek over cover in ways that you couldnt from a first person perspective, and basically kind of allows you to exploit the game. (Meaning, you can get a full view in all safety, while irl you would have to expose yourself to have a peek at what's around you)
So in that regard it's better not to have it, for that reason and a more 'realistic' playing style (people are more cautious that way for example).

Upvote 0
you are right about looking around cover, but by allowing you that situational awareness, the cover system in vegas really encourages people to use cover without slowing the pace of the game to a standstill. I'm pretty sure the system could be adapted somewhat to a pure 1st person, though.

However, I don't get how you can argue against third person for realism's sake, while argueing for crosshairs and no weapons models. After all (excluding future combat programs like landwarrior,etc.), crosshairs are anything but realistic, and weapon models help give the impression that you are actually carrying a particular weapon.
Then you are just asking for a remake of the old R6. I'm fine with nostalgia, but shouldn't the idea be to make it better, and more immersive?

Upvote 0
However, I don't get how you can argue against third person for realism's sake, while argueing for crosshairs and no weapons models.
A view without a weapon-model but with crosshairs is just an abstraction of what happens in RO. Instead of the gun pointing somewhere and you don't know exactly where, the crosshairs are always centered but the shots come out of a cone of fire. It takes away control from you and replaces it with sensible randomness. For example: With a weapon model you could have to sway around like crazy while you move so you can't hit anything. Without a weapon-model, the crosshairs increase in size to indicate that you can't hit anythign either. It has the exact same end-effect, but the way to it is an abstract one.

A third person view however gives you something you shouldn't have at all, abstract or not, and "additional awareness" is only an argument if it happens somewhere on an open field, where all you get from it is the increase in FOV. In buildings and the like, you can peek around corners without showing anything of you and that cannot be called realistic.

Unless some mechanic is employed that only renders objects you could physically see if you were seeing out of your eyes, but such a system is bound to not work, look weird, or most likely both.

At least that is true for a shooter type of game.
I have to agree with this quote...:
third person and realism aren't mutually exclusive. :O You could very well make a realistic third person game, it's just a change in perspective.
... because a game similar to Jagged Alliance or Full Spectrum Warrior would work great in a third person perspective of course.

Whether it increases the pace in Vegas and whether it hurts the game or not is a question of gameplay, not of realism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rogue Spear Black Thorn for the life. Good luck Yoshiro by setting up a mod, but i think it will hardly be feasible. I have no problems with 3rd person view! And hell yeah i DO remember SAS Mod for Unreal ;) i liked it very much was alotta fun. Also, there were loads of patches and the sound was cool (AK74 if i remember right was just genious ;) ). I enjoyed it very much.

Upvote 0
Yeh had a look and nothing look appealing :(

Anyone remember SAS for UT2004? I was hoping to find something like that really. Not just crappy sci-fi

Probably not going to happen, UT3 is dead, as is its modding scene, even the MSUC is quite dead (when it comes to bigger mods) because Epic has all but outright said "if your mod can't be ported to the PS3, you wont win".

Apparently they are working on some kind of "expansion" for UT3 though, maybe, if they don't cock it up this time, that will breathe some new life into it.. maybe.

Upvote 0