• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Disappointed in Rainbow? Me 2, thinking about starting a UT 3 mod

Make it have crosshairs and no weaponmodels!
Saves a lot of time, resources and animators, who are generally hard to come by, PLUS it will restrict the player-base to those hard-core enough to be willing to play without first-person weaponmodels PLUS no nitpicking on the models (!) PLUS easier to change stuff like recoil, reloading speed, etc. because you don't need to change the visual representation too if your crosshairs system is good enough PLUS it saves your the trouble of making first- and third-person animations match, PLUS nonexistant first-person weaponmodels can't look awkward when crawling or sprinting!
PLUS further differenciation from other mods. No need for another Counterstrike-clone-looking shooter with a new set of interpretations of one and the same weapon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Saves a lot of time, resources and animators, who are generally hard to come by, PLUS it will restrict the player-base to those hard-core enough to be willing to play without first-person weaponmodels PLUS no nitpicking on the models (!) PLUS easier to change stuff like recoil, reloading speed, etc. because you don't need to change the visual representation too if your crosshairs system is good enough PLUS it saves your the trouble of making first- and third-person animations match, PLUS nonexistant first-person weaponmodels can't look awkward when crawling or sprinting!
PLUS further differenciation from other mods. No need for another Counterstrike-clone-looking shooter with a new set of interpretations of one and the same weapon.
NO! I don't think old school fans would like that even.

Upvote 0

you mean like R6, RS and GR? I

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey, a new MSU contest? Cool. Is modding for UE3 popular though?

As for the crosshairs in the first couple of R6's, they were quite unique for its time. That game wouldn't "feel" the same if it had weapon models. So leaving weapon models out would achieve the "feeling" of the first R6 a little bit better, though having weapon models is more realistic.

Upvote 0
Ok at this point it looks like I am going to move forward with it, but not at a blistering pace (IE: no MSU hopes).

Will see about setting up a webpage and recruitment in the next few weeks. But I also look to be helping another UT 3 mod that will take priority for me (as it has a team) for the moment.

Upvote 0
I don't know. People like seeing new stuff. Just look how everyone drools whenever a mod team posts some renders of new weapon models. New content often enough gets more attention than new gameplay features. Then again, the die-hard R6 fans maybe don't care. Could go either way. You need some really good texture artists though to keep up to the CoD4 standard,.

Upvote 0
I wonder how key it would be for the mod to have hand signals. It seems to me like they are kind of a holy grail for realism in tactical shooters, but they would hard to implement in an intuitive and effective way.

Even if you could come up with, say, a mouse gesture-based hand signal system (hit a modifier key to activate--easier to use than a command menu), I think that the signals would become harder to recognize on a computer screen than they would be in real life, especially as distances increase and you're in a dark corridor. So do you have icons appear above an avatar's head to show what they are signalling, or flash a text command next to him? If so, there goes a big chunk of realism.

And what if they don't get the hand signal exactly right? Although a mouse gesture system would be great, it would be easy to do the wrong hand signal--unless there's a hand signal for "Forget that, I screwed up that signal, I'll give you the correct one," which there probably is.

I just think that tweaking the weapon values for more realism, which I think is what "more realism" means to most people, is not good enough. You'd need a lot of difference to make it worth people's while, and I think hand signals are one of the ways you could do that, but I don't think it's enough. I think you could add realistic radio action--AI would use it to call in reinforcements in an unscripted way, and you could have jammers and detectors to complicate matters. That + hand signals + uh, something else fairly major gameplay-wise, and you have something that I would be interested in.

Upvote 0
Handsignals are a great idea and they would work much better in a R6 type of game than in something with much wider areas. I would suggest to use a command-menu like the one in RavenShield. A mixture of a context- and distance-sensitive command-ring though you could easily fit in more than the four blades they have in RS. Six would be a good maximum I think. When activated with a Left-Click the guy gives the orders over radio and when done with a right-click he does hand-signals.
For differenciation purposes you could also add those cheesy but helpfull woosh-woosh sounds to the movements of the arm and a good sound for the fist contracting or stretching out (only audible for your team, of course).

Last edited:
Upvote 0