• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Direct3D Error When Launching KF2 Server?

I just installed the KF2 server on one of my Server 2012 machines, but when I try to launch it, I get a Direct3D error:

LChHl3H.jpg

My Server 2012 instance is fully updated and has been running KF1 servers without issue. I'm not entirely sure why the server even needs to initialize Direct3D to run, but that's neither here nor there.

Has anyone else seen this error?

As a related aside, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the Linux server.

That was my first step after getting the error. I installed DirectX, restarted, tried launching again - still got the same error.

Well, I might have figured this out to some degree. I'm running Server 2012 as a VM within VMWare ESXi 5.5. When I try to launch the server when I'm logged in via Remote Desktop, it errors out with the Direct3D message. When I'm logged in via the VMWare console, it starts up without issue. I went back and forth between the two a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but it seems to be consistent.

Upvote 0
That was my first step after getting the error. I installed DirectX, restarted, tried launching again - still got the same error.

That is strange. I had the DX9 issue on my Win2k8 server only. After installing DirectX it went away, I was however then prompted that MSVCR100.dll was missing (which is resolved by installing microsoft visual c++ 2010 redistributable package (x64))

Upvote 0
Well, I might have figured this out to some degree. I'm running Server 2012 as a VM within VMWare ESXi 5.5. When I try to launch the server when I'm logged in via Remote Desktop, it errors out with the Direct3D message. When I'm logged in via the VMWare console, it starts up without issue. I went back and forth between the two a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but it seems to be consistent.

I have the same setup (although using ESXi 6) and it's working fine, even over RDP. Keep in mind that you also have to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package.

Upvote 0