• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Different stuttering problem... C2D related?

BuddyLee

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2006
NCC 1701-D Neutral Zone
System Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
8600 GT
2 GB RAM.

In an attempt to fix this I have gone into the BIOS and set everything to default, when the problem still persisted I followed links telling me to download some windows updates. When the problem still continues to happen I updated all my drivers so that they are completely up to date.

That still failed to correct the problem so i removed a stick of RAM, thinking that a faulty stick might be causing it, but no that was not the answer. I would like to point out the fact that this is only happening with games made with Unreal ED (i.e. Bioshock and Red Orchestra) but runs smoothly on other games (i.e. Prey and Just Cause).

I do not believe ito to be a graphics issue with the 8000 series because this card was in my old computer and there was no skipping. I have absolutely no clue as how to fix this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8sBE3IGn0

It does seem to be C2D + 8000 that has the problem the most in XP, don't think your problem is any different.

All I know of is setting UseHardwareTL to False (cuts your FPS right down but removes stutters), use Vista x32 (removes all stuttering for me), or setting World Detail down to medium or low (removes most stutters on low but you get less grass, shrubs, smoke, rain etc). Also try the latest beta drivers ( http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html ). Also try disabling one of the CPUs in task manager, get latest intel chipset drivers etc.

If you want to try vista use a dual boot by making a new partition and installing on that (start the windows install from within winxp then select the new partition to install vista to..google for full instructions), then you can switch back to XP if you get crashes like I did.

Its a bug to do with weapon models apparently - if they aren't displayed then you get no stutters, but thats not much help for RO..maybe theres a way to reduce the detail in the weapon models as a workaround?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, the problem is on a friends box that was just built. I have a little bit of stuttering with my 8800GTS, but not as bad as his in that video. I wonder if the 8600 has even worse stuttering problems than the 8800... ?

He disabled one of the cores on the cpu to see what would happen, and it still stuttered. I am starting to think he may need to update his BIOS. Because I have not seen stuttering as bad as he is having.

We are both still working on the problem, and will keep this thread updated if we can find a solution.

Upvote 0
I don't know about Just Cause but Prey runs on a modified Doom engine, right? If so it should use OpenGL instead of DirectX. Maybe that's where your problem lies. Try to change the renderer to OpenGL in the Red Orchestra.ini and see if the stuttering goes away.
Its not a solution (white menu screens in OpenGL in RO, games that don't work in OpenGL, etc.) but at least you know if your DirectX is broken or not.

Upvote 0
Well, it seems to be a 8000 series issue.
Last week Ive bought myself a XFX 8800GTS 580XXX It stutters to in Unreal Engine games, but also on some other games like DiRT etc.
I'm running on a AMD Athlon X2 4600+
4gb Corsair DDR2
XFX8800GTS 320MB 580XXX
550 Watt PSU
It looks like Nvidia hasnt developed a correct driver for DX10 cards running on XP yet, games that runned perfect on my 7800GTX are now stuttering.
I did temp checks driver installs etc. but nothing changed the stuttering so I gues we al have to wait for new drivers and hope that they've managed to fix the stuttering, games like BF2 run perfectly even in 64 player mode and every setting @ high. And if you set the graphics at the lowest I still get fps problems in the games Ive mentioned above.

Upvote 0