• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Different Firearms

jd251209

Jun 17, 2015
Hello Tripwire and anyone reading this
Here are a few suggestions that I would add into RS2.

Additional Firearms for each class (unlocking at a later level?)

US Firearms

-Stoner 63 (MG class)
-M40 (Sniper class)
-M21 (Sniper class)
-Ingram Mac 10 (which ever class would use something like this)
-UZI (favored by SOG units, again which ever class would use a SMG)
-M14 (Infantry class)

Communit Forces weapons

-PPSH (SMG class)
-MAT-49 (SMG class)
-Chicom Type 56 (Chinese RPD) (MG class)
-RPK (MG Class)
-SKS (Infantry class)
-Mosin Nagant (Sniper class)
-SVD (Sniper class)

If you can think of more firearms that make sense for the era please feel free to post!

Last edited:
The stoner machine gun was almost exclusively used by elite special forces like navy seals. Should not really be in the game to be honest. The m60 on the otherhand was extremely widespread

During vietnam the favored sniper rifle was actually a winchester model 70. Which was not "officially" supported by the US military like the m40 was.

As for the Uzis and mac10s

just no , this isnt counterstrike.

The grease gun on the otherhand was extremely popular.

Upvote 0
Uh I know this isn't counter strike, however many of these guns were in a support hands. Just because the M3 (for example) was issued doesn't make it a great choice simply because it was on the way out. Im not sure you're understanding that the Vietnam conflict was almost a cleaning of house with old firearms that were still in service. As for the Stoner 63, yes many of these were almost exclusively for special forces, it was by no means a prototype. However why is it so hard to imagine a class like that? Honestly whats the harm? More firearm selections that correlates with the time frame isn't a bad thing.

As far as I'm concerned more choice in selection makes a game last longer.

Upvote 0
I agree against weapon unlocks. I never like them in any multiplayer game. I'd rather there be limits not only on classes, but weapons within that class, that way we don't have a situation like in RO2 where every German machine gunner has an MG42. Unlocks might work short-term, but long term I feel like they do more harm than good.

Upvote 0
So wait a second, its ok if it was in RO2 and RS1 (scope unlocks, bayonet unlocks etc) but because I propose a different idea (that will extend the life of the game) you're against this WHY again?
it was not ok for RO2 and RS,this almost killed the game for me,...and this unlock bull**** was the reason i only played Classic mode,
why do we need to unlock basic gear ? like bayonets,fire selector switches,bipods... it makes no sense.
unlocks are great for a arcade game like ,Battlefield, or CoD,but very bad for a game like Red Orchestra.

Upvote 0
it was not ok for RO2 and RS,this almost killed the game for me,...and this unlock bull**** was the reason i only played Classic mode,
why do we need to unlock basic gear ? like bayonets,fire selector switches,bipods... it makes no sense.
unlocks are great for a arcade game like ,Battlefield, or CoD,but very bad for a game like Red Orchestra.

id say "we" left that behind us a Long Long time ago....

Upvote 0
Not a fan of the rare weapons. We won't be playing as the CIA or special forces, so M/45s, Uzis and Stoner variants shouldn't be in use. If we do play as those forces then we need a proper game mode. A full scale battlefield in PvP just doesn't cut it. We would need R6/GR1 style missions for SP/co-op with content AI, proper mission briefings, ect.

MAT-49s & the Vietnamese K-50 would be nice to see. Both were used a good bit, and the VC used a lot of WWII weapons. Mosin Nagants Mausers would fit in. Not sure how many of the Czech firearms made it over, but they did supply small numbers of VZ-58s & SMGs. Mainly to the VC I believe.

But if we're going the unlock/random weapon route, I'd like an M4A1 SOPMOD Block II for the fully leveled rifleman. If we're going abstract, lets not hold back.

* Last bit was sarcasm.

Upvote 0
Before jumping to giving the NVA extremely rare weapons, consider that they had readily avaliable many weapons, and were extensively supplied first by the chinese and then by the soviets.
Only early in the way when they were fighting the french did they need to resort to take any weapon they could get. Consider adding the most common weapons before adding the rarest.

Common
Rifles: AKM, Type 56, SKS, Mosin Nagant
Smgs: K-50M, PPS-43, PPsh-41
Anti Tank: RPG-2
Sniper Rifles: SKS, Mosin Nagant
Machine Guns: RPD, RP-46
Pistols: TT-33, Makarov

Uncommon
Rifle: Vz. 58, MAS-36
Anti Tank: RPG-7
Sniper Rifles: SVD
Machine Guns: PKM, RPK, SG-43, Dshk
SMGs:Skorpion vz 61, PM-63 rak.
Pistols: Nanbu, M1895

Rare
Rifles: K98K, Type 99, STG-44
Machine Guns: BAR, MG-34, DP-28, Type 99 LMG, MG-42
Smgs: Mat-49, MP-40, MP-34
Pistols: C96, P-38, CZ-52, P-64

Upvote 0
I don't see how having another class that would use something like the rarer firearms (CIA stuff) would be a bad thing. It would keep the game fresher for longer. As for the guys saying "NO UNLOCKS" well you kinda have to get with the times.

So we should have a "CIA class" which does nothing but run around with random weapons? What is the point of the class system then? Don't we have enough CoD/Warface type games out there?

Before jumping to giving the NVA extremely rare weapons, consider that they had readily avaliable many weapons, and were extensively supplied first by the chinese and then by the soviets.
Only early in the way when they were fighting the french did they need to resort to take any weapon they could get. Consider adding the most common weapons before adding the rarest.

Common
Rifles: AKM, Type 56, SKS, Mosin Nagant
Smgs: K-50M, PPS-43, PPsh-41
Anti Tank: RPG-2
Sniper Rifles: SKS, Mosin Nagant
Machine Guns: RPD, RP-46
Pistols: TT-33, Makarov

Uncommon
Rifle: Vz. 58, MAS-36
Anti Tank: RPG-7
Sniper Rifles: SVD
Machine Guns: PKM, RPK, SG-43, Dshk
SMGs:Skorpion vz 61, PM-63 rak.
Pistols: Nanbu, M1895

Rare
Rifles: K98K, Type 99, STG-44
Machine Guns: BAR, MG-34, DP-28, Type 99 LMG, MG-42
Smgs: Mat-49, MP-40, MP-34
Pistols: C96, P-38, CZ-52, P-64

Keep in mind the Viet Cong had varied in terms of training and equipment. Some only carried minimal ammunition and had little to no training. Others would be better equipped. A small number were equipped well and received training from the north or foreign advisers.

Plenty of Viet Cong carried Mosins, Mausers ect. into combat. They were out gunned compared to their foes but that is often how war is. It isn't fair or balanced. ;) But if RO2/RS is anything to go off of, the teams will play the same and be balanced in artificial "gamey" ways like a Battlefield title.

As for SKS sniper rifles, you've been playing too much Battlefield.

Upvote 0
So we should have a "CIA class" which does nothing but run around with random weapons? What is the point of the class system then? Don't we have enough CoD/Warface type games out there?

Totally agree.

I dont want more kids in this game. If you want some arcadeish style gameplay with ultra rare unlockable weapons to rape new players and get a 20x combo, go play the other hundred first person shooter. This is different, realistic, and asymetric.

Upvote 0
Totally agree.

I dont want more kids in this game. If you want some arcadeish style gameplay with ultra rare unlockable weapons to rape new players and get a 20x combo, go play the other hundred first person shooter. This is different, realistic, and asymetric.

I agree so please see yourself to COD then. But back to my point, a CIA class could easily have abilities or unique capabilities such as pseudo commander positions (able to call in support) possibly the ability to "direct" where spawns could be (such as where helicopters would be able to drop units). There are a million different ways that a CIA class/ Elite unit class could integrate into the game. You have to understand their entire purpose in the war was gathering intelligence and allowing the main forces to knock out a target. It would make sense that they would be able to gather Intel (unit positions, effective commander strike zones, effective spawns, etc) So please don't discredit the class without first thinking of what the benefits could be. As for the weapons, yes there are many weapons on the table here but again allowing more firearms is an easy way to keep the game fresher for longer. It just makes sense.

Upvote 0
So please don't discredit the class without first thinking of what the benefits could be. As for the weapons, yes there are many weapons on the table here but again allowing more firearms is an easy way to keep the game fresher for longer. It just makes sense.

The CIA thing was a joke. I think you might want to rethink it. :p The real world isn't like Counter Strike or Avengers where all the good guys get together randomly to fight the bad guys.

Random weapons doesn't help, unless it is a fictional setting with artificial balance. Like a BF game. Hard to be a Vietnam War game when the only thing Vietnam is map location and voices. I know that is what you're looking for and it might be a bit hard to grasp that others don't want another one of those games. Those kinds of games do have a place. But I want to play a Vietnam War game. Really the only reason why I am here checking for updates because I really want a good Vietnam War game even though my expectations are low for RS2.

Upvote 0
You have to understand their entire purpose in the war was gathering intelligence and allowing the main forces to knock out a target.

Which apparently regular recon in a unit with some communication cannot do in the game's scale then? Nah, we need special guy with Ph.D. in disguise acting as double agent in middle of a battlefield armed with XM773, radio, and whatnot. Sure doesn't look suspicious at all. I suppose we could include SASR while at it with special ability to turn near-transparent because stealth that requires effort is for weaklings. And special forces glamour rarity.

Upvote 0