• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Diablo 3 is here!

I would have been really excited for Diablo III sometime before 2004. Now not so much. The atmosphere and art style in D3 just leaves me meh
smiley.gif

Upvote 0
No real surprises there tbh.

I'll probably still end up picking it up, I guess it depends if friends get it as well. I find games like Diablo2 where insanely fun with friends but alone or with strangers feel really empty and boring.

Well, old RPGs were very good, when new ones are average (e.g. Dungeon Siege series)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-01-diablo-iii-has-real-money-auction-house

Blizzard will take a "nominal" flat-rate fee for each listing and sale, and an additional fee if players choose to cash out payments for sold items via a third-party payment provider such as PayPal.

Sorry, but no. I pay for game and all content of game only once.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Permitting real-money auctions for video game items? I've heard about enough of this ****.

You're not supposed to let jackasses get rich from farming items, Blizzard, you morons.

If you have played other MMOs, you'll know that it will happen anyway, so its pretty understandable that Blizzard want to take a piece of the cake instead of trying to persecute it.

On the other hand, it gives average players, I mean non professional farmers, the option to earn some cash selling a rare item.

In the end, if you just ignore the AH and don't buy anything, and then you come across some rare items, you could try selling them in the AH and potentially get your money back from the game purchase.

Upvote 0
I wasn't aware Diablo III was an MMO. I thought it was a singleplayer/multiplayer/coop action-rpg in the tradition of Diablo, and that's what I was looking forward to.:(

Good point, but today the lines between MMO and everything else are getting more and more blurred: persistence, stat tracking, mandatory online connection, shared market.

Even pure FPS like Team Fortress 2 or the future RO2 have many MMO-ish features, its even more easy to make the analogy when you talk about an RPG like Diablo.

Upvote 0
Blizzard said it did not plan to create a similar real money auction house for World of Warcraft, despite the prevalence of unauthorised real money trading around the massively popular MMO. Pardo explained that Blizzard felt the idea did not suit the "prestige system" of WOW's item game, where items are tied to specific achievements and bind to game characters. But it was considered a good fit for the "merchant economy" stimulated by Diablo's randomly created and freely tradable items.
Translation: We know doing this to an established IP that is currently playing would piss off players enormously. So we chose to do it an IP everyone loves and has been waiting for 4 years for instead.

By collecting a fixed rather than a percentage fee on auction house sales, Blizzard will have no incentive to manipulate the game design in order to make more money from the auction house, Pardo argued.
Mmhmmm. And I'm going to get rich by closing my eyes and just wishing real hard for money. Never mind the fact that they've tinkered with the loot system to hell and back, so loot only shows up for one person, and IIRC, you only see the loot for your class. No, they haven't manipulated gameplay in the slightest to make money.

I didn't play SC2, so this all comes as a fairly unpleasant surprise to me. I guess I was being naive when I thought Blizzard wasn't going to emulate the worst of what the other publishers were doing. Battlenet was sending bad signals already but I thought that was the extent of it. I never dreamed Blizzard would monetize the AH system.

On the plus side, I'm sure pirates are going to try to find a crack to take D3 offline and I wish them the best of luck and god's speed. I'll buy the game, but I want to be able to to play it on the chance I'm poor and can't afford internet anymore. Unfortunately, it sounds like a Bnet connection is going to be written into dozens of places in game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you have played other MMOs, you'll know that it will happen anyway, so its pretty understandable that Blizzard want to take a piece of the cake instead of trying to persecute it.

Even TF2 players make money selling their stupid rare items, doesn't make it right or something you should support.

Why not? You probably don't have to think very hard to imagine the reasons.

I can't wait to see how invigorated gold/item farmers become now that they have a legal form of income.

Upvote 0