• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Diablo 3 is here!

Real money trading - Cool. I've heard D2's trading was fouled by a bunch of shady people. A regulated system where I can earn back money from playing the game is A-OK with me. Who cares if Blizzard takes a cut? It's basically free money.

Always online - Not that I really would ever care to play offline but, this is super lame.

No mod tools - Again, super lame.

Upvote 0
ye the d2 and lod cinematics still give me chills. I think blizzard is doing an ok job with the art but the story will be ****. Not sure why the dont hire actual writers. In Starcraft2 they really failed to make me care about anything story related except for the jamaican dude. If you go against him though you kill him and blizzard said thats the canon choice.

Upvote 0
Faster-paced. Greater emphasis on items. Stream-lined characters and abilities. Somewhat redundant formula but still fun and pretty challenging content. Diablo tends to throw way more enemies at you more often and its spammy, not super tactical like DA was.

The story is told in D2 in broad strokes by excellent opening and closing chapter cut scenes, and by voice overs during game play, and some text. Its story and D1's story are fantasy-gothic, emphasizing demons and evil beasts over your typical orcs and dragons. Some places like dungeons it really nails atmosphere. Other places like the open desert level...not so much.

It's a formulaic game compared to Bioware's stuff, but IMO it's easier to have fun with because it's not trying to be a hardcore RPG. Diablo 2 set the water-mark for action RPGs. I think D2 will still be a decent introduction to Diablo 3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ye the d2 and lod cinematics still give me chills. I think blizzard is doing an ok job with the art but the story will be ****. Not sure why the dont hire actual writers. In Starcraft2 they really failed to make me care about anything story related except for the jamaican dude. If you go against him though you kill him and blizzard said thats the canon choice.

Ya I gotta agree.

I thought SC2's story was pretty poor. The mission design was so insanely good for an RTS though I was willing to look past it. Best SP campaign for a traditional RTS ever IMO, from a purely gameplay perspective at least.

I might have to pick up D2+LOD to check it out and see if I'll want to get this new one... Gotta admit I'm skeptical though about any non-Bioware RPG product :D.

And what's with all the Blizz haters? They're the only enormous video game company that can be really relied upon to release quality games anymore IMO, other than Valve. (but I just never really got into Half Life at all, or TF2, go figure... loved Portal though) I thought WoW was a horrendously boring grindefest but loads of people are obsessed with it so I guess it's just me... I don't mind, seems to be like crack to those who are into it, not to mention the whole monthly fee thing... huge turn off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
dbm0T.jpg

Upvote 0
Windows Live has forever turned me off to integrated, always connected services. Generally it causes a truckload of problems and all you get in return are the inconveniences of playing an online console game, only on PC. And prohibiting mods is just nuts. There's no way I could buy D3 in good conscience, especially since Diablo was never anything more than a casual time killer for me.

The real money trading is actually a welcome addition in my opinion; selling my WoW characters was the most gratifying part of the game.

Upvote 0
Oh come on, you didn't get the to a sellable level with sellable equipment because the game was so ungratifying!;) If a game wears out after 200+ hours is it really fair to call it "not gratifying" because you're now bored with it?

^Coming from someone who has clocked in about 5minuts of playtime in WoW and thus doesn't know jack about the game but likes to talk smart.
Just wondering.

I don't like the involvement of real money one bit. And that it means having to stay connected and disallowing mods for legitimacy's sake just makes it worse. Even IF I liked the idea that wouldn't be worth it for me.

Not sure I like the comical direction they took with the characters either. I usually like humor in my games, but what I liked about Diablo 1 was that it was so dark and evil and Diablo 2 toned that down considerably already. The videos still ruled though. Now Diablo 3 is taking another giant leap in the everything-is-harmless-and-colorful direction and I'm beginning to wonder why I should see Diablo 3 as the next big thing in dungeon crawling when Torchlight, Sacred, etc. are doing basically the same thing but DON'T annoy me with things like this real-money-auction-house and all.
A MP version of Torchlight is in development too, btw.

A couple of years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of ever saying that, but I think I'm going to wait for a demo with Diablo 3.:(

Upvote 0
Oh come on, you didn't get the to a sellable level with sellable equipment because the game was so ungratifying!;) If a game wears out after 200+ hours is it really fair to call it "not gratifying" because you're now bored with it?

^Coming from someone who has clocked in about 5minuts of playtime in WoW and thus doesn't know jack about the game but likes to talk smart.
Just wondering.

Never said I made much money. It wasn't so much that it was a bad game as the fact that I realized that the only part of the game I found at all enjoyable was the PvP only once I had already hit 70. Not worth the monthly by any stretch.

Definitely agree about the atmosphere. I loved the look of Diablo 2 but WoW and most of what we've seen on D3 looks fairly horrible IMHO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having a beta and I must say, Diablo 3 is feeling, Diabloey....

The visuals are updated but still put you into the grim diablo mood, it's criticisms are overblown IMO, It's still dark and dusty, monsters are still twisted, deaths are still disgusting. So no worries their.

Sounds sound like they came from Diablo 2, which is a good thing as Daiblo 3 still has the eerie music which still sounds brilliant :)

Voice acting is brilliant, accents sound genuine and emotion has really been put though them, only issue is sometimes the dialogue can sometimes get a little... "Cheesy" (Act 1's first boss is an example of this)

Classes are disinct and all are fun to play! There are some balance issues IMO, as I had managed to play though the beta as witch doctor barley getting a scratch, but I'm struggling to simply survive the first part as Monk, I have not played as Barb, wiz or hunter yet, I'll give my opinion on those later ;)

The biggest thong that is going to draw complaints IMO is the new command and health system, rather then simply lumping all your abilities into one big heap you then bing to left and right triggers, your moves have been pre-sorted for you though your keyboards and mouse so that specific spells are exclusive to the button it's assigned to this means it's easier to to use multiple abilities without having to cycle though anything, but also means that cycling abilities on the fly is really hard and tedious. Although I prefer it like this, there are going to be some hardcore Diablo fans that used specialized buttons and advanced keydinds to change abilities on the fly, will not like this.

Health and Mana are handled different:

Mana is now specialized to each class and all handle differently, E.g Monk's mana is called "Spirit" and does not charge over time, but, rather will charge though the amount of physical damage you do to a monster, this means that you can use your abilities constantly on large mobs, but you need to be in the thick of it in order to keep yourself charged. The witch doctor, however, has a small mana pool which drains and recharges quickly, and a cooldown on all but has primary spells, meaning that he can utilise his ability over long times without needing mana potions or a break from spells, but cannot constantly use a single strong spell all the time and conversely, cannot use all his power spells all at once.

Health is a bit different in D3, it is handled differently in the fact that they're is a much more limited amount of potions and that their are health orbs dropped by monsters.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Upvote 0