• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

DH Update No. 6

Darkest Hour Update the Sixth

The Darkest Hour team reckon they are getting close to a release now... and the team want to brag about some more new features that you'll find in DH, including:

• Suppression system: Now an MG can have an enemy squad cowering in the trenches - try drawing a bead on an MG 42 who is firing at your squad and you will see what we mean. This is a combination of blur, shake and flinching when you are in the immediate vicinity of a lot of flying lead.
  • New tracers: These are not quite as bright and visible as the standard. You can see them but, combined with the suppression, it is less easy to trace back to an MG who is firing at you.
  • New vehicle damage - Engine fires: These are no laughing matter - they kill your engine and, may also lead to ...
  • New vehicle damage - Hull fires: If one of these starts you may only have a few seconds to bail out.... or you may have a lot longer. Do you feel lucky with all that burning fuel inside your tank?
  • New vehicle damage - Crew kills: hit the right part of a tank and penetrate the armour and you might destroy one of its most vital components - the crewman.
  • Canister shot: Fired from the Stuart's 37mm cannon this is best described as

Having worked on both CC and DH I can say that the DH tanking system is a touch more sophisticated than that of CC.

Nothing against the CC system, it is just that we have been able to put more effort into this, having had more coding resources available from PsYcHo_Ch!cKeN, Shurek and Teufelhund.

Getting tracked in a speeding tank is now quite an unnerving experience - there is a clang, your vision blurs and shakes and your tank slews off to one side with an almighty screeching and grinding of wheels.

It really can ruin your day - even in a King Tiger.

[EDIT] In fact, especially in a King Tiger, cos you haven't got many of those to throw away sitting in the middle of nowhere with a track missing (and it actually IS missing)[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looking good guys. I'd sign up to test but I'm too lazy right now to sign another NDA (hehehehe), yea I know that sounds bad. Can't wait to see the final build. Just make sure to optimize those maps and polish everything! Give em hell testers!

And now to be the guy who states his opinion and gets yelled at. I hate the logo......

Upvote 0
Looking good guys. I'd sign up to test but I'm too lazy right now to sign another NDA (hehehehe), yea I know that sounds bad. Can't wait to see the final build. Just make sure to optimize those maps and polish everything! Give em hell testers!

And now to be the guy who states his opinion and gets yelled at. I hate the logo......

If you have signed an NDA for RO, then you're covered for DH as well ;) Give ole' Nestor a PM.

lol@Sidus

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just to clarify the situation here.
Yes we have damaged tank Optics, but the code has been done by our coders. I know CC had it in their Mod, but damage to a tanks Optics did happen, so should we have not added it in because some other Mod had done it before ?.

Anyway thanks for the comments, we have worked very hard to make sure this release is the best SO FAR. This is all down to our coders, artists, animators, Mappers and modelers. they have really pulled some great things out of this Oldish Engine that I did not think was possible.

Upvote 0