• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

DH bugs!!

ha$h

Sep 10, 2007
MG-34\42 - what is this? Why so fast heating??? Heating after 30 bullet :mad:
bazooka\panzershrek - why on start i have 2 ammo, and after first loading - 0?? Why, if i change weapon - bazooka\panzershrek is unload? :mad:

Map balance:
vieux - german tank list is a ****. they always smoking on respawn. stug3?? hahaha! stug3 not effective vs sherman(and even stuart), cause stug dont have turret and to come nearer by efficiency sherman - it need 2 good crew! For sherman only 1!!! And for 1 effective stug we have 2 effective sherman! Give better Pz4 Ausf F\2 or Ausf G. Even Pz3 with APCR will be more effective than stug!

And more! More time for each round! On war you haven't time, you only have reinforcements and tasks.

Last edited:
bazooka\panzershrek - why on start i have 2 ammo, and after first loading - 0?? Why, if i change weapon - bazooka\panzershrek is unload? :mad:

Map balance:
vieux - german tank list is a ****. they always smoking on respawn. stug3?? hahaha! stug3 not effective vs sherman(and even stuart), cause stug dont have turret and to come nearer by efficiency sherman - it need 2 good crew! For sherman only 1!!! And for 1 effective stug we have 2 effective sherman! Give better Pz4 Ausf F\2 or Ausf G. Even Pz3 with APCR will be more effective than stug!

And more! More time for each round! On war you haven't time, you only have reinforcements and tasks.

You're getting this for free. So, where's the problem? I'm sure,that if this are bugs, they'll be fixed. But it needs time.

Upvote 0
And thats the moment when i will intervene to this, even that i know i shouldnt.
ha$h clearly pointed out some bugs. Well mad faces and exclamation marks
are not so good way to get some points through. But i dont like that
lynching attitude. As there is group of people who allready start to
reload their weapons and dig on some explosions when someone
say something else than "Great!" or "Awsome!".

And i dont wonder that ha$h pointed out things here as on DH
forum that lynching attitude is even stronger.

If you make a public project, you need to be able to take public feedback.

Nestor Makhno once you said "Basically you need a thick skin and not to live for praise on the forums - it can turn against you"

...and thats absolutly right.

Upvote 0
I do not take any crit personally, we would not have made a mod if we could not take critisism.

he may have over stressed his post, but that is no need to linch him as you call it.
Some of the points the OP made realy are because he hasn't learnt how to use them properly.
I will admit we do have a slight problem with the zooka/shreck saying it has 2 when it only has the one shell. But we will be working on that, Having to reload any Anti tank weapons after switching from and back is a teamwork feature we purposly added in. I am sure if you loaded a Bazooka then slung it on your back the shell would just fall out (my opinion here). It also stops players getting assisted reloads in spawn, running off to god knows where shooting some guys with their main weapon, then magicly switching back to a fully loaded AT weapon, this would negate the feature of having it as a crew served weapon as it was in RL.

enough said. If anyone has any issues/bugs/glitches, could they please post them on our forums aswell as here, They will get noticed quicker there than here.

Upvote 0
It's not like anybody wants to lynch him just because he posted critisism, it's the way he posted it. Of course there are still some bugs to be worked on and therefore the DH team needs people to post them and how they are being reproduced, but that should happen in a nice and friendly way. If I want someone to do something for me I don't shout, I ask politely.
However, as I already said, it's more likely that it will be noticed on the DH forums than here.

Upvote 0

Map balance:

I’ll respond to the Vieux comments. Sorry you don’t like the map. Critiscism is ok. It is how we learn. I suppose it cuts both ways – I mean criticism. You’re critical of aspects of the DH-Mod – which is fine -- and other folks are critical of how you were being ciritcal – which is also fine. Heh heh. :D

Anyway, to cut to the chase on Vieux the force mix in the scenario is my doing. The force mix went through numerous iterations during play testing -- with critical commentary from testers following each test session. I won’t claim the final Force mix is perfect or anything like that. But I will say there was a fair bit of thought and discussion regarding the force mix for both sides – both from the perspective of map balance and historical context.

Based upon play testing the scenario, the biggest concern with Vieux was that the German side was too powerful. But these comments were coming from play testers with a great deal of Red Orchestra playing time and fair bit of tactical savvy. And by savvy I mean the play testers tended to have a better handle on historical tactics utilized in tank combat of the period, as well as the ability to adapt these tactics to the foibles of the games mechanics – a subtle difference. The two are not totally divergent from each -- I mean game mechanic related tactics and historically based tactics -- but in general players that employ tried and true small unit tactics tend to be successful in most RO\DH scenarios.

Now that the DH-mod has gone public the cross-section of players doing the tank maps is far more diverse. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in terms of a greater mix of less experienced players injected into a specific side and how this player diversity affects scenario balance for the different DH maps.

My own statistics for Vieux collected since the mod release are pretty limited, and I certainly would not draw any black and white conclusions until I have played both sides ten or twelve times each. Thus far I have played the map six times on public servers. The Germans side has won twice and the British 4 times. When the Germans did win it wasn't even close -- the team worked togeather and roled up the map with plenty of time to spare. When the British win it is a longer drawn out affair and the British rarely are able to capture the last two objectives -- Vieux and the Bridge next to the German rear spawn. BY the way, in addition to the steel bridge, there are two fords across the river between the German rear spawn and the Vieux side of the map. Check you map -- see where the roads seem to terminate at the river and than pick-up again on the other side of the river -- those are the fords.

The problem, as I see it, boils down to how the German team works – or does not work together. The German's side map performance is also very much tied to the performance of their two uber-tanks – one King Tiger and one Jagdpanther. Both are very very powerful tools against the British Shermans. If a couple of players with tactical savvy, gunnery skills and an eye for terrain are operating these two –uber tanks they will make all the difference to the Germans side chances of winning. But as powerful as the these two tanks are, the German players need to resist the urge to think that the two tanks are industructable. They can be destroyed quickly when employed carelessly. The Germans must therefore adjust their scenario tactics accordingly. If these two uber-tanks work together they can dominate the map from a central position. They just need to have a bit of flank support from the stugs and MkIVs. If the Germans are not careful with their two uber-tanks than the map becomes very difficult for the German side. Moreover, there is a re-spawn limit of (I think) 6-KTs and 6-Jagdpanther per spawn location. If the Germans blow through these KTs and Jagdpanthers by carelessness they don’t get any more.

The scenario boils down to the German team tactics and the ability to work together. Get some anti-tank infantry in the two central objectives and hunker down – Maltot and Haut. Get the Jagpanther and KT established on the Maps central ridge position – hull down in the wooded area around Maltot with a stug or PIV on either flank and the Germans win. DON'T SKYLINE -- I am here please shoot me. The duel magnification of the KT and Jagpanther combined with their almost impeneatrable frontal armor will dominate the very open central portion of the map.

If the Germans play like the KT and Jagpanther are indestructible – and they let Shermans work around them for flank shots, the Germans will fall apart quickly.

Yes, my post is long and most won't have the patience to read the whole thing. Which is fine. But having spent probably 200+ hours monkeying with various itterations of Vieux and it's layout, I figure writting a few paragraphs on the thing isn't much of an additional effort. It's not a masterpiece by any means. Stuomont is a masterpiece. But I hope Vieux will be fun for the RO tank map fans and hopefully stimulate other potential map makers to make better DH tank maps and keep the tank crowd happy with new and interesting scenarios.

I'd say if you don't like VIeux or are frustrated with it, you should push on to other servers that are playing some of the other very excellent DH maps. There is no point in beating your head against a wall if you are not having fun. Big tank maps will not appeal to everyone. I like big tank maps and am less fond of the infantry maps. To each there own. Find the nich you like and have fun with it.

Best Regards
JD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't confuse people with "teamwork", Jeff. They usually end up injuring themselves trying to comprehend such concepts. DH does many things well and any maps, RO or mod, that require teamwork always get verbal abuse from the R-n-G and solo-expert crowd.

Heh heh :D

On that line while playing the excellent Wacht am Rhein map and also while playing the Vieux map last night I teamed up with another dude to form a little artillery spotting group. I worked as the radio operator and the other dude worked as the FO (officer role). Worked pretty well I must say.

For those unfamiliar with some of the very interesting add-ons to DH, an officer can call artillery from anywhere on the map. You don't need to be next to a fixed radio to call for artillery. The catch is you have to team up with the "Radio Operator" role. This role carries a radio and the Officer marks artillery targets in the same way with his binoculars. He than calls for the fire mission via the radio operator guy. You obviously need to be standing next to each other while doing this. But it worked really well last night and we managed to do our fair share of blowing stuff up via this little bit of team work. We both had the high scores several times. And it goes without saying our side won everytime.

Upvote 0