• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I'm getting more and more hyped for this game, despite several of my disappointments:

- No option to play the game in first person, and with lean
- Radar shows enemies
- No lock picking, biotic energy and multitools

I can kinda live with the regenerating health because Deus Ex also had regen health in the form of an augmentation, and the regen is relatively slow. It's just that in DE3 it's unlocked right from the beginning (unfortunately it won't cost biotic energy though).

The augmentation system looks pretty cool and RPS wrote that there will be more to explore than in the first game, so that's great too.

The soundtrack definitely won't fail. Michael McCann will do a great job, I'm sure:

YouTube - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Main Theme ( Michael McCan - Icarus )

YouTube - Deus Ex Human Revolution: Michael McCann - Sarif Industries theme

Sarif Industries viral video and website:

http://www.sarifindustries.com/[url]http://www.sarifindustries.com/[/URL]

YouTube - Sarif Industries TV Spot

Seriously considering pre-ordering this. On the other hand it might be better to wait for the Steam holiday sale. Dilemma, dilemma...

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I can say this here, but apparently the preview build (PC) has been leaked. There is footage of it on that famous video site you might know about. My opinion? Looks pretty damn good. :D Makes me even more excited about the game. I've only watched a couple of minutes of it though. Don't want to spoil anything for myself. I'll definitely purchase this title.

What's peculiar, according to this article, is that Eidos doesn't seem to send DMCA's all over the place. Everything is still up:

Surprisingly, developer Eidos Montreal has allowed users to comment about the leak on the game's forum. Community Manager Kyle Stallock even encouraged users to share links to non-press reviews and comments on the leak. Torrents of the leak remain available on popular torrent sites, yet to be taken down by publisher Square Enix - not that it's certain Square could stop the leak, at this point, if it wanted.
Now, on one hand the leak is a bad thing for obvious reasons, but on the other hand, Eidos' aloofness can be a sign of confidence in their product.

EDIT: another track from the OST:

YouTube - ‪Deus Ex: Human Revolution OST Police Ambient Theme‬‏

Michael McCann, you genius bastard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I can say this here, but apparently the preview build (PC) has been leaked. There is footage of it on that famous video site you might know about. My opinion? Looks pretty damn good. :D Makes me even more excited about the game. I've only watched a couple of minutes of it though. Don't want to spoil anything for myself. I'll definitely purchase this title.

What's peculiar, according to this article, is that Eidos doesn't seem to send DMCA's all over the place. Everything is still up:

Now, on one hand the leak is a bad thing for obvious reasons, but on the other hand, Eidos' aloofness can be a sign of confidence in their product.

Alright, so I couldn't resist and downloaded the leak. Not a nice thing to do, I know, so mods - feel free to delete if this post goes over the line. But then again, neither Eidos nor Square Enix seem to mind too much about the leak. I think they're using the comments that are popping up on the DX:HR forums to gather feedback.

I'll share my findings (no spoilers).

Let me tell you... having played the prologue (~30 mins) I'm now more hyped about this game than ever before. Ignoring the kinks and WIP-stuff, it's shaping up to become a really good game. Because I didn't want to see any spoilers I skipped through the cutscenes.

I'll share some of the good news: the game runs really well. During the first part of the game, where you're walking on rails while Megan and Jensen converse, the game runs at a solid 60 fps on my four year-old system (Intel Core 2 Duo, GTX260, 2Gb RAM). :eek: During the combat scenes and in areas with a more extensive level design it varies between 30 fps and 60 fps. And the game looks pretty damn good as well. Not great but definitely good. The game's graphical quality comes from the level of detail and creative design. I'd definitely call this a beautiful game. None of the 'console jaggies' you see in the screenshots are actually there.

Cover system... takes a while to get used to. It's actually pretty good and it's somewhat possible to play the game without it, although there isn't any lean (which is bad). Will reserve judgement.

HUD: seems PC-friendly. During the prologue you don't actually have a HUD at all (you're not augmented yet).

The game's damage system is actually pretty hardcore on the highest difficulty level (which can be changed on the fly). You can only take a couple of bullets and regen is slow. I wanted to see how long it took for two enemies to kill me so I showed myself, fired a burst into the air and got killed immediately. Took about one second. :) Very impressed with that.

The NPCs are much, much more human than in DX1 and it seems there's plenty of stuff to explore. Those 30 minutes of gameplay were enough for me and I won't play more of it.

This game is a Deus Ex game, dudes. :) Day 1 buy for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mr. Daedalus, you've curbed some of my skepticism. Still assuming the worst until I've seen it, but at least I'm willing to actually take a look now.

However, it seems a bit naive to consider the non-reaction regarding the leak as a sign of confidence. Another step in the devolution of game previews looks like the more probable case. After shareware, demos (DOES NOT REPRESENT THE FINAL PRODUCT), betas, now there are 'official' leaks. Someone apparently wants to get rid of the last inch of responsibility, and that's pretty much the opposite of confidence.

Upvote 0
(Minor spoiler about weapons you can choose for mission 1)

Decided to play part of the first mission. The one they've shown in one of the PR vids, so no spoilers. Again, I skipped through all the cutscenes and didn't pay attention to the non-skippable conversations.

Stealth: I'm impressed. It's challenging and fun. Stealth is based on LOS rather than darkness. Most of the time you get spotted pretty easily if you make a mistake, but sometimes I thought 'He should have seen me!'. But overall, the AI is very good. They have a tendency to look behind and around them and can wake up unconscious comrades.

Just like in DX1 you get to choose between different weapons when the first mission begins. You can choose between lethal and non-lethal and then ranged (dart gun) and close range (stun gun). Both of these weapons require different tactics and are fun to use. The stun gun is effective up close but requires you to plan a route before you move in, otherwise you'll end up surrounded. And if you get discovered, chances of survival decrease rapidly, especially if you don't find cover fast. Again, you will die from only 4 - 5 pistol bullets.

The dart gun gives you the advantage of (medium) range but requires a careful shot, otherwise his buddies will easily spot the body and wake him up. It takes a second or two before the dart has any effect unless you hit your target in the head.

Of course the game has a couple of negatives such as lack of lean and lock picking. But the wealth of improvements make up for it IMO. Many of the features that are present in both DX1 and DX3, are superior in DX3. The hacking, the AI, the stealth, the augmentation system, the art, the characters (Jensen is more 'human' than JC IMO), the voice acting, the world detail, the conversation system, the guns (iron sights!), etc. All better in DX3. Even the music is better, though that's a matter of taste of course.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is a proper sequel. Whether it will be better, worse or equally good as the original remains to be seen. I think it stands a good chance.

Mr. Daedalus, you've curbed some of my skepticism. Still assuming the worst until I've seen it, but at least I'm willing to actually take a look now.

However, it seems a bit naive to consider the non-reaction regarding the leak as a sign of confidence. Another step in the devolution of game previews looks like the more probable case. After shareware, demos (DOES NOT REPRESENT THE FINAL PRODUCT), betas, now there are 'official' leaks. Someone apparently wants to get rid of the last inch of responsibility, and that's pretty much the opposite of confidence.

If they really believed that they would have taken it down a long time ago. Read the article I've posted or check out the DX forums, Eidos allows people to freely comment on the leak in their forums and even asked for feedback at one point!

Don't let your cynicism and nostalgia-glasses cloud your judgement, I say. :) Don't forget to pay attention to the good things.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Heh, can't really view anything VG industry related without a dense cloud of cynicism.
Endorsing the leak means they can easily reap all positive impressions, and deny responsiblity for anything negative because it wasn't officially distributed. It's also remarkable that the leaked beta has more content than the press demo, which was speculated to be the source of the leak... definitely fishy. Doesn't have to be as bad as the scenario I'm suggesting, but some paranoia seems to be warranted if the subject is Deus Ex ;)

It really is looking like a good game. Adding to your mentioned positive aspects, levels after the prologue lend themselves to exploration and different approaches. Also quite fond of the art style, and the opening is packed with fan service.
Yet there's also a whole bunch of negative aspects. Despite the neat art style, the graphics pretty much suck. One of the more forgivable flaws in my book. Probably related to this is the limited interaction, too many objects are static and don't even react to things like gunfire.
The transitions to 3rd person view are unnecessary at best, e.g. those horribly cheesy CC attacks or ladder scaling. They can also be detrimental, especially when turning the cover mechanic into the centrepiece of both stealth and combat gameplay.
A pretty major gripe are the controls, both character and mouse movement are horribly wobbly. Even feels like vertical sensitivity is lower than the horizontal one, wtf? Yeah, failures like this are not too uncommon when the consoletariat reigns and PC versions are an afterthought, but combined with the heavy reliance on the cover mechanic, the combat is a major weakness of the game, just as it was in Deus Ex. Personal disappointment here, since I've always thought that this aspect could've used the most improvement.

Despite all this, I still like it. Several facets of Deus Ex are there, and strongly represented. Seems hardly related to the original universe though, this and a distinctly different gameplay make me wish they wouldn't use the name. No, it's not a Deus Ex game, there's still only one. Now it's time to polish my nostalgia goggles ;)

Upvote 0
Frankly, I have not checked whether the wheel had indeed been invented in ancient Mesopotamia (and it would have taken me less time to verify it than it did to write all this), but yes - that's when we sold out, that's when we started to simply our lives into the meaningless pulp it is today.

Oh, the good ole days of yore, what blissful times those must have been.

Upvote 0