• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Determing range?

With binoculars or in a tank its not that hard. Just compare size of man or tank to triangles in sight. The manual has a quite good section on range estimation.

Whats the distance from shepards house to east wall in Kaukasus? For me thats max effective range with self-loading rifles.

Upvote 0
Get hold of Mormegil's tank range, and run it as a "Listen Server".
Then get used to how tanks looks at known ranges.

Unless you are firing "short" PzIV or JS-2, most guns have a flat enough trajectory that it's pretty easy once you get the 250m, 500m and 750m ranges straight.

I use the technique that I believe the German crews actually used. I estimate the range, put the top of the pointer on the bottom of the target, and add a couple of hundred meters to put the shell through thre center.

If you can't find a copy of the map out there, PM me, and I'll email you a copy. I've tried his old link, and it's not current anymore

Upvote 0
Most maps have an "average" engagement range on RO-Debrecen for example I usually engage at 600 meters (charging tanks near farm willage that area) so before I leave spawn I set my range dial to 600m then I correct for those that do not fall in that range. For those long range ones for those just determine what range the map is set on Debrecen is set at 1000m. At that range the target should be grey/whiteish if that map is longer range then the white/grey will appear further for example at 2000m or 3000m anything that is really small but not too grey/white is under that- if you are still unsure try to get it as close as you can then fire the watch the shot and correct although its probably smart to move right after taking a shot-:).

Remember: The round tends to drop on those Russian tanks so point the optic a little higher than where you want.

Upvote 0
For me its mainly just experience and being able to tell almost naturally what range my opponent is. It's really all guess-work.

It depends on how recent I played, but I can generally tell if a tank is 500 or 1000 meters depending on the map.

Play on the long range tank maps like one of the "Road to Orel" servers and just learn to shoot from the top of the hills across the bridges and watch where the shell lands.

I think its a matter of practice and learning the map.

Upvote 0