• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Destructible environments?

SingeDebile

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006
I thought I remembered hearing buildings could be pretty heavily damaged.. not destroyed but nearly gutted none the less, after seeing plenty of artillery called on top of a building and tank rounds going through windows (ala RO1)

I realized what was missing... you shouldnt have to aim for shooting through a window opening like in RO1 for the tank round to do damage, we were promised destructible buildings. What happened?

(I have seen a tank drive over a tree, but thats about it)

I think that either artillery or tank took out part of the roof of one of the building in Commissar's House in one match. Though for example comparing to BFBC2, it is much less noticeable..

I also remember getting killed by a tank round that apparently hit inside the room since the walls were still intact afterwards.

I haven't really seen any walls coming down or being blown out thus far.. or then I can't remember them because of the intense combat :)

Upvote 0
With how poor performance is for people in this game, I don't ever see destructible environments being a possibility. I mean people have trouble running this game on 64 player servers...imagine how bad performance would be when buildings are being blown, particle effects are being blown everywhere, rubble is falling around, shadows of buildings need to be redrawn in real-time, computations concerning buildings structural integrity are being made (like if you shoot out the lower corner of a building the top corner should prob. collapse), spawn points inside buildings would need to be re-evaluated in real-time as destruction happens, piles of rubble would need to be added simulating a building collapse which would lead to pathing issues, and so on and so on

Another issue, would ruin map balance...imagine attackers at Spartanovka...all they would need to do is call a couple quick arty strikes on the church and town hall and before ya know it russians are without cover and are being mowed down even quicker than they are now

Reactions: Richey79
Upvote 0
What happened to the "map temperature" feature? I dont see that anywhere? Does anyone has a list of the things they promised, I think that plenty of things are missing in the final release.

That is in RO1 too. MGs overheat slightly slower on winter maps and I think the new thing for RO2 was that tank rounds are affected by temperature.

Upvote 0
Yes im rather disappointed about the lack of destruction, especially sine TW was flaunting it before release

I dont want to bring another game into this, but the destruction in BC2 (while over exaggerated) gives the battlefield a sense of dynamics.

The way you play on the map in the beginning of teh round changes near the middle and the end due to the reduced cover.

Upvote 0