• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Destructible environments?

If you went into RO2 expecting BC2 level of destruction, you read what you wanted to into TWI interviews. It was pretty clear months before beta we shouldn't expect anything like that, and they went to great pains to spell out what it wouldn't be and why they wouldn't be doing it.

If you're "disappointed" in RO2's level of destructiveness, you served it to yourself and are laying at their doorstep.

by saying they "could" have had every building get flattened (that the engine would have allowed it in an interview) but only decided for gameplay reasons that they would not implied that there would still be allot of deformed cover etc..

as it stands now there is essentially none, a already crumbling wall will stay in its current state no matter how many tank shells its hit with

and would everyone stop defending this current lack of destruction with references to "well i never thought it would be like BFBC2" well OF COURSE IT WASN'T... BFBC2 had 90% destructible structures... RO2 has less then 5% ...we were hyped up a level of environment deformation that would actually be relevant gameplay wise.. right now we have fences that no longer stop tanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
by saying they "could" have had every building get flattened but only decided for gameplay reasons that they would not implied that there would still be allot of deformed cover etc..
There's that pesky thing again, "implied." Exactly how much pre-release, pre-beta coverage did you watch? Because I watched a lot.

With terrain destruction, they talked primarily about the work involved, the repetition of animations it produces (see BC2) and THEN the game play reasons for not doing it. In that order.

When devs do something like destructible terrain and terrain deformation, they're eager to show it off. It's a visual feature, a quick sell. They demo'd none of that prior to beta, claimed none of that before beta and went to great lengths to not over hype what it was actually going to do. If they had tanks blasting holes through walls, don't you think they would have explicitly pointed to it as a feature and made sure someone got video of it?

It seems like the only thing that would make TWI not in the wrong is if they'd delivered exactly what you want. As someone who followed the game very closely paying specific attention to the terrain destruction, I can say flat out they made no promises to anything more than you're seeing in game.

And if you took something they said to imply another thing....it's your eagerness to buy without knowing first that you can blame.

Upvote 0
guys stop trolling srsly twi have families 2 feed nd all u guys can do is go onto the internet and complain about video games...grow up and go outside????

Please tell me your joking...PLEASE...

Guess what genius? I have mouths to feed too, are you suggesting I should be happy with a sub-par product because TWI has to feed their families, so they can't possibly be expected to fix bugs or deliver on promises?

I wonder how much food I could have bought if I didn't buy Ro2...

Reactions: Derpus
Upvote 0
Please tell me your joking...PLEASE...

Guess what genius? I have mouths to feed too, are you suggesting I should be happy with a sub-par product because TWI has to feed their families, so they can't possibly be expected to fix bugs or deliver on promises?

I wonder how much food I could have bought if I didn't buy Ro2...

no u have unrealistic expectations nd u want twi 2 work 24/7 to make a game that is impossible

Upvote 0
no u have unrealistic expectations nd u want twi 2 work 24/7 to make a game that is impossible

No I don't have unrealistic expectations:
-to release a game with a server browser that works is not an unrealistic expectation
-to release a game that delivers on explicit promises made is not an unrealistic expectation
-
to release a game that doesn't CTD on the hour every hour is not an unrealistic expectation
-
to delay a game that is clearly too buggy for release is not an unrealistic expectation
-to release patches that do not reintroduce old problems is not an unrealistic expectation
-
to preserve some semblance of the gameplay that made Ro1 so great is not an unrealistic expectation
-to have DDE unlocks that work on DAY ONE as advertised is not an unrealistic expectation
-
to have a realistic number of Mkb42's/AVT-40's as advertised is not an unrealistic expectation
-
to have a UE3 game run with some semblance of fluidity is not an unrealistic expectation
-
to have Tripwire work feverishly to fix unacceptable problems/bugs AFTER the game has been released is not an unrealistic expectation

-Mike133
Exercising my 1st and 2nd Amendment rights

Reactions: kapulA and u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
No I don't have unrealistic expectations:
-to release a game with a server browser that works is not an unrealistic expectation
-to release a game that delivers on explicit promises made is not an unrealistic expectation
-
to release a game that doesn't CTD on the hour every hour is not an unrealistic expectation
-
to delay a game that is clearly too buggy for release is not an unrealistic expectation
-to release patches that do not reintroduce old problems is not an unrealistic expectation
-
to preserve some semblance of the gameplay that made Ro1 so great is not an unrealistic expectation
-to have DDE unlocks that work on DAY ONE as advertised is not an unrealistic expectation
-
to have a realistic number of Mkb42's/AVT-40's as advertised is not an unrealistic expectation
-
to have a UE3 game run with some semblance of fluidity is not an unrealistic expectation
-
to have Tripwire work feverishly to fix unacceptable problems/bugs AFTER the game has been released is not an unrealistic expectation

-Mike133
Exercising my 1st and 2nd Amendment rights

most of them r rong with ur pc if u cant run it then go back 2 console and cod noob, it is perfect for me and most others read the reviews http://www.gamersguidetolife.com/2011/09/review-red-orchestra-2-heroes-of.html "Tripwire's latest is a masterpiece and nothing less."

Upvote 0
most of them r rong with ur pc if u cant run it then go back 2 console and cod noob, it is perfect for me and most others read the reviews [url]http://www.gamersguidetolife.com/2011/09/review-red-orchestra-2-heroes-of.html[/URL] "Tripwire's latest is a masterpiece and nothing less."

Tell me why I'm wrong...don't just throw some no-name review site in my face that happens to disagree with me...

Remember that everyone doesn't have a liquid-cooled $3000 rig...and anyone that knows anything knows that you don't need a killer rig to make an UE3 game run well...

All my points are valid...

Reactions: Derpus
Upvote 0
Tell me why I'm wrong...don't just throw some no-name review site in my face that happens to disagree with me...

Remember that everyone doesn't have a liquid-cooled $3000 rig...and anyone that knows anything knows that you don't need a killer rig to make an UE3 game run well...

All my points are valid...

read the front page all the reviews r saying its good thats bcuase it is, if u disagree u r either 1 troll or 2 hater

Upvote 0
I have an $800 rig and I don't experienced hourly crashes, crippling lag and the game isn't "clearly too buggy to release" on my computer.

I don't disagree that most of those are not unrealistic expectations.

Then again you're also listing stuff that has already been fixed or improved dramatically to heap on to your argument.

Upvote 0
Then again you're also listing stuff that has already been fixed or improved dramatically to heap on to your argument.

Yes, I am...I'm simply taking a long view of the whole RO2 release process...rather than just looking at our state of affairs now...I and many other gamers won't forget the release fiasco when many couldn't even get their games to start up on release day...

Upvote 0
I have an $800 rig and I don't experienced hourly crashes, crippling lag and the game isn't "clearly too buggy to release" on my computer.

I don't disagree that most of those are not unrealistic expectations.

dont feed the troll, he is just jelous that he has no skills and he can only play cod :p:p:eek::rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I seem to recall claims of how the whole environment could be flattened, but they chose not to for gameplay purposes. Somehow I think this was marketing spin.

^^
Yes, this...classic marketing...talk a lot about destructible environments in a vague way...show some pre-rendered videos of buildings being blown to smithereens and tanks punching holes through walls to add to the confusion...then later, say you can't do any of it for gameplay reasons (which is a lie...its because they couldn't do it at all technologically...you see how poorly the game can run just on a 64 player server or when arty hits) and then give the people breakable fences and exploding trees and call it a day...

Upvote 0
^^
Yes, this...classic marketing...talk a lot about destructible environments in a vague way...show some pre-rendered videos of buildings being blown to smithereens and tanks punching holes through walls to add to the confusion...then later, say you can't do any of it for gameplay reasons (which is a lie...its because they couldn't do it at all technologically...you see how poorly the game can run just on a 64 player server or when arty hits) and then give the people breakable fences and exploding trees and call it a day...

i dnt fink u realse how insulting that is...they worked very hard on this game nd then someone coeming along nd saying that is very rude, what wud u do if u knew that statement made them cry? huh punk?

Upvote 0
Stop making **** up. They never showed any of that. They answered questions about what was possible with the engine, and then said and showed exactly what they were going to do instead.

Upvote 0
Stop making **** up. They never showed any of that. They answered questions about what was possible with the engine, and then said and showed exactly what they were going to do instead.

I saw the videos sir...they never SAID it would be possible...but what do you expect people to believe when they see buildings going ka-boom in trailers??

I've been around video games long enough to know that pre-rendered videos are the last thing to look at to determine what features a game has...but I've read threads of people who were sincerely under the impression complete and total destruction in one form or another would be possible...splintering trees and fences is not one of those anticipated forms of destruction

Upvote 0