• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Depth

Dr. Pierre Chang

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
The Island
Is anyone else anticipating this game? It looks very interesting and will probably be a definite buy for me:

YouTube - Depth - August Teaser

YouTube - GDC Gameplay Trailer

Key Features
- Be a Shark : Take control of a 21 foot man-eater as you find and dismember sneaky divers.

- Shark vision : Experience the sights , sounds and smells of the shark's world. Track prey by the disturbances they make in the water, or the sound of their heartbeat.

- Be a Thief : Loot a wealth of glittering Sunken booty from the bottom of the ocean, by outsmarting and evading your hungry opposition.

- Heart Pounding Stealth: Take cover in dense sea-weed, squeeze into wrecks, and stay as quiet as possible while sharks patrol overhead!

- Full Body Dismemberment : Tear off your victim's limbs one by one and leave him to bleed out, or show him mercy and end it with a final bite.

Reactions: Nimsky and Shepherd
Ever heard of search function?

Yes, Herr Moderator, but I figured the game needed it's own thread (and I did post in the thread it was first mentioned in). Shouldn't you be looking after kids (or buying jeans) instead of my threads? Until Zips or someone else locks the thread because I should have used search, I'll go on about my business.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, Herr Moderator, but I figured the game needed it's own thread (and I did post in the thread it was first mentioned in). Shouldn't you be looking after kids (or buying jeans) instead of my threads? Until Zips or someone else locks the thread because I should have used search, I'll go on about my business.

Good job showing your immaturity.

Upvote 0
Seems very interesting, and very tense!
If there is one thing that would freak me out, it would be being in the water with sharks. There is only one thing that normally scares me, and that is being hunted by a predator :p
That whole peekaboo horror stuff just doesnt do anything for me, but i used to scream out loud while playing games like Trespasser as a kid.
Now with sharks with some human intelligence, that should be some scary stuff :)

Upvote 0
Edit: As this is being made on the UDK; does that make it free?

It is possible to release a free game with an UDK build, basically, aslong as you aren't making any money from the release, then Epic won't charge you any royalties for using the engine and tools, so it can be done.

But it's not done often, using the UDK is a bit different to modding in the classic sense, the UDK is for releasing stand-alone games, so unlike a mod for an existing game, it doesen't come with a build-in fanbase ready to play your mod, and with no budget, it can be hard to attract one (free is a great price for a game, but then, it also makes people sceptical about it's quality, and with no build in community HUB to advertise your freebie game from, like mods do in form of the host game's forums and communities, it's hard to get it noticed).

And since it's for stand-alone games, that means the team behind it must create everything themselves, there's no conveniant ways to re-use assets from the host-game like you can with a mod, so a UDK build is a serious time and work investment, and it's pretty hard to assemble a talented team who will do all that non-profit, and especially when you don't even know how you'll get players to notice and play the thing.

For thouse reasons, the UDK is much more attractive to team who wants to release an indie title, for money, than it is to modders who want to release something for free.

And it's a great tool for indies, make no mistake about that, but for modders.. not so much.

Reactions: Dcode
Upvote 0
It is possible to release a free game with an UDK build, basically, aslong as you aren't making any money from the release, then Epic won't charge you any royalties for using the engine and tools, so it can be done.

But it's not done often, using the UDK is a bit different to modding in the classic sense, the UDK is for releasing stand-alone games, so unlike a mod for an existing game, it doesen't come with a build-in fanbase ready to play your mod, and with no budget, it can be hard to attract one (free is a great price for a game, but then, it also makes people sceptical about it's quality, and with no build in community HUB to advertise your freebie game from, like mods do in form of the host game's forums and communities, it's hard to get it noticed).

And since it's for stand-alone games, that means the team behind it must create everything themselves, there's no conveniant ways to re-use assets from the host-game like you can with a mod, so a UDK build is a serious time and work investment, and it's pretty hard to assemble a talented team who will do all that non-profit, and especially when you don't even know how you'll get players to notice and play the thing.

For thouse reasons, the UDK is much more attractive to team who wants to release an indie title, for money, than it is to modders who want to release something for free.

And it's a great tool for indies, make no mistake about that, but for modders.. not so much.

I think I also heard somewhere that now you don't have to pay Epic until your title makes $50,000, where it used to be like $5,000.

Upvote 0
I think I also heard somewhere that now you don't have to pay Epic until your title makes $50,000, where it used to be like $5,000.

Indeed, and the fee's come in the form of royalties, so unlike licensing an engine normally, where you have to cough up a huge amount of money up front to buy the license, it's very low risk for indies to use the UDK (at worse, if the game utterly bombs, you just won't make much money, whereas with the traditional licensing system, you might be left with a huge debt and no way to pay it off).

Make no mistake, the UDK is a great tool for indies, and we can expect to see more indies try to release games on a good engine just because it exists, games like Depth, and that's a win/win for us all :)

Sadly though, it's not as great a modders tool, and Epic seems to belive that having the UDK means they don't have to include SDK's with their games anymore, and that will be quite a loss for the modding scene :(

Good thing we'll have HoS and it's SDK to fill the gap then, eh? :D

Upvote 0
Sadly though, it's not as great a modders tool, and Epic seems to belive that having the UDK means they don't have to include SDK's with their games anymore, and that will be quite a loss for the modding scene :(
UT3 was a failure and I couldn't really imagine any big mods for Bulletstorm, so it doesn't really matter since for total conversions UDK is the best choice anyways.

Upvote 0