• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Demo recording

-Moody-

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2014
www.youtube.com
Will KF2 have a demo recording function implemented? The lack of this feature in recent games is really disturbing. RO2 does have this feature but it's not that good and just serverside.

Recording a demo means recording gameplay without actually recording a video. It saves the information of gameplay and it can be viewed later on in-game. Kinda like a in-game cutscene and you can change the gameplay viewed by disabling hud or using other commands via the console. You could record the gameplay as videofile later on with a command or a extern program like dxtory or fraps. You could also view your gameplay from different perspectives.

Last edited:
Sounds like witchcraft to me! :eek:
It was pure standart including this feature in ego shooters years ago. I guess mods/mutators and custom maps are also witchcraft, eh? :p

I remember that Call of Duty had it. In MW and 2 at least. It was a really good feature, but it makes more sense to have it for games like that.
Right! I've made this CoD1 Video with demo tools even though that had some limitations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUwIuetozAY

The source engine with sourceTV includes a very good demo tool with included player etc.

Upvote 0
Sounds like witchcraft to me! :eek:

The thing about a demo is that it records game events and playerstates as a raw data on certain time intervals, and when you 'play' it, the game engine reenacts the game based on that data (with certain amount of fidelity).
It is used mainly for killcams now, but in the past that was the only way to record a match, as computers couldn't handle rendering images of frames along with normal gameplay, and the only way to make a gameplay vid was to record a demo and then use game engine via special command to render it to tons of jpgs, that you could later compile into an avi :D

Upvote 0
I've been using both demo recording and Rypel cam in KF2. The only issue that I run into is ragdolls are never the same on the original playthrough and the demorec. But other then that it works pretty good.

That's cool. I don't see why anyone would really want a demo recorder outside of making trailers for the game but it's nice that it's there.

Upvote 0
I've been using both demo recording and Rypel cam in KF2. The only issue that I run into is ragdolls are never the same on the original playthrough and the demorec. But other then that it works pretty good.

Yeah, demo recorder never seems to replicate the ragdoll physics the first time played through. I have no idea why that is. Regardless, it's cool that tool will be available to the community.

Upvote 0
Yeah, demo recorder never seems to replicate the ragdoll physics the first time played through. I have no idea why that is. Regardless, it's cool that tool will be available to the community.

Because those data are not saved by the demo. Decals position, particles, ragdolls and stuff like that would require saving a huge amount of data to the point of lagging the game and serve no real purpose. These events are re-generated each time a demo is played and if there is any random factor in them (like the vector or speed of a gib for example), it will yield different results.

Upvote 0

@Lieutenant Skittles:
- Doing YouTube Videos. (Let's Plays, Fragmovies etc.)
- Get cheaters caught
- Recording competitive matches
- Your own entertainment (what the hell happened? let's take a look at the demo file and watch it from a other perspective)

@[TW]Sanzliot:
Does it support first person with the firstperson weapon viewmodel? And can it be used on clientside?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So... The new Unreal Tournament comes with a advanced replay/demo system fullfilling everything I just mentioned and more! It will be possible streaming demos directly to viewers and they can scrub through this like it was a video.

Well here you go:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lalzCpzk37c[/URL]

So this is actually possible with the Unreal Engine (4)!
KF2 is using a highly modified version of UE3, they would have to figure out a way to use the code in KF2 if they wanted that feature. I'm sure they could work it in somehow but it may take waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many man hours to make it worth it.

I used demorec in kf a lot, tbh I wasn't sure if anyone else knew it existed because no one ever mentioned it, even my friends who use demorec heavily in UT probably never thought to try it.

But as long as they didn't change the command it's "demorec DEMONAME" and you should be good to go. "demoplay DEMONAME" will start playback.

Upvote 0