• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Demo recording/Battlerecorder

-Moody-

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2014
www.youtube.com
So... I've stumbled across the demo function by RO2. And I'm quite disappointed... :(

When I record a demo I can't even see that I'm currently recording. This is confusing. Their could be a very small hint in a corner that you're recording a demo with the specific filename and the demosize. When I've tried to play the demo all I've got is a view of the map on a specific point where the leaderboards are after a game. I can't see my own gameplay and I can't switch the view if I'm not mistaken. It would be great if TWI would fix this and would add additional functions like...

• ...complete controls for the HUD. So it is possible to disable the HUD or enable specific things like the killfeed and disable the rest.
  • ...keybinds or a menu to fast forward, rewind, pause, slowmotion etc.
  • ...a cmd to make a specific number of screenshots per second. e.g. like cl_avidemo in the id Tech 3 Engine.
  • ...support for a (build-in) camera tool like RypelCam

It would be so ****ing great to do this simple thing. YouTubers would be very happy about it and it could increase the popularity immense! Let the community begin to roll this thing. RO2/Rising Storm deserves much more! ;)

Try out the demo tools for yourself! A guide:
Spoiler!

Last edited:
This is something we have looked into doing, but it is not so simple. It will pretty much require a rewrite of part of the engine.

@Yoshiro:

Nice to hear! :))) It might be a lot of work but it would be worth it.
If you guys set your upcoming projects in unreal too in particular, since you already have done this step! :)

@nymets1104:

If you run an NVIDIA GPU, check out Shadow Play Here. I have not used it yet, but looks like one stop shopping for in game recordings at high quality.

I'm a quite expierenced "movmaker" making gaming movies. http://www.youtube.com/seargantmoody ..if you want to take a look. I know Shadowplay.
But I have a AMD GPU. But did you know that their is RadeonPro with quite similar functions? The RadeonPro-Team is updating it every day and it is older than Shadowplay. But AMD doesn't have the money for advertisment and real progression for something like this.

Upvote 0
I really hope this feature will come this year... :)
I agree it would be neat, but.....

This is something we have looked into doing, but it is not so simple. It will pretty much require a rewrite of part of the engine.

They said its too much work, I doubt it will happen, there are plenty of alternatives (some are free as well)

Upvote 0
... But did you know that their is RadeonPro with quite similar functions? The RadeonPro-Team is updating it every day and it is older than Shadowplay. But AMD doesn't have the money for advertisment and real progression for something like this.
AMD is not associated with this product in any way shape or form. The disclaimer at install time shows this. I also found it pretty clunky and not very easy to use and think it does little more than what CCC already does - other than the movie record of course.

As an alternative to [strke]in game demorec or[/strike] shadowplay or radeonpro i have found the OverWolf overlay movie recorder that comes with TeamSpeak 3 to be an easy to use and reliable in game video capture tool.

Recording in realitime with a program (e.g. fraps. shadowplay) is NOT a alternative to a realtime demo :(
Care to elaborate why you think that?.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Care to elaborate why you think that?.

A realtime demo allows you to view people from different angles, rewind and view something from a different perspective.

Basically a demo allows you to replay a match, and watch it as if you were a spectator in the server watching it live.

RypeL adds a lot of nice demo functionalities. But 1st person footage is stilll not visible with it, and client side recorded demos on multiplayer servers are still not working. (aka you can currently only make functional demos if you are the server admin on a server and use admin demorec demoname, and later grab the files from the server)

Upvote 0
A realtime demo allows you to view people from different angles, rewind and view something from a different perspective.

Basically a demo allows you to replay a match, and watch it as if you were a spectator in the server watching it live.

Not just that. You can manipulate the game in a demoplay e.g. disabling the HUD or making different lightning (dependent on engine cmds) and could open the demo file with a mutator(mod) to change the gameplay for your needs (e.g. making the killfeed appear right after the kill or so which would be cool if you'd make fragmovies)
But with a demo it's not a video. It's a huge difference! It's like a MIDI file of gameplay-videos.
Converting into a video would've been done with a program now e.g. fraps.
BUT it would be better if it was possible to make like 60 screenshots per second WITH the game. The video is completely fluent and it's totally independent from hardware (besides from the rendertime). Also their is no quality-loss.

Example for a fragmovie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUwIuetozAY
(I've made this one)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try to take a look at this.

http://youtu.be/m-pHaoVvMww

This looks very interesting. I'll take a look at it! Thanks 1conu59

If this really works that well... just being courious what Yoshiro will say to this. :)

Oh, I've noticed that Zetsumei already pointed this program out. But the most important thing the first-person view is still missing... so... :( It's time to get into the next corner and... cry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This looks very interesting. I'll take a look at it! Thanks 1conu59

If this really works that well... just being courious what Yoshiro will say to this. :)

Oh, I've noticed that Zetsumei already pointed this program out. But the most important thing the first-person view is still missing... so... :( It's time to get into the next corner and... cry.

yeah I know what you mean...

If you want a chance to see one true first person view implemented one time, we need an huge support here : [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=92616[/URL]

Don't hesitate to share it to your friend in this forums ;)

Upvote 0