• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Deleting the config files gives a temporary improvment to performance

pepihoh

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2010
Deleting my config files gives me a noticeable performance boost(gives 15-20 FPS) for some reason while all graphic settings are still the same. Unfortunately this lasts for about two or so maps and the game performance starts to decrease to a sluggish unplayable 20-25 FPS. When I delete the config files again performance is restored to a playable level, but however it decreases after 10 to 15 minutes of gameplay.

I really do not understand what is causing this odd behavior, and how constantly deleting the config files manages to improve performance over short periods while all settings remain the same.

My PC specs: Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz
ATI HD 5770
4GB RAM

Interesting. Can you please do something for us?

1) Delete your config files, configure everything the way you usually do, then quit the game and attach them to this thread. These should be your "good" config files.

2) Go back to your game, play until performance starts to suck, then post again with your config files attached. These would be your "bad" config files.

I'd like to take your files and compare the differences to see what, if anything, changes.

Upvote 0
Interesting. Can you please do something for us?

1) Delete your config files, configure everything the way you usually do, then quit the game and attach them to this thread. These should be your "good" config files.

2) Go back to your game, play until performance starts to suck, then post again with your config files attached. These would be your "bad" config files.

I'd like to take your files and compare the differences to see what, if anything, changes.

Good idea, never thought about this in that way,will do this myself and I ll let you know if I find anything out of order.

Upvote 0
1. start the game
2. immediately leave the game
3. set the config file to read only.

4. play the game and see if that config file stays "correct"
if it stays correct safe the config file somewhere.

5. remove the read only from a copy of the config file
6. play till fps is bad
7. safe the config file somewhere.

8. upload both config files.

In addition to this, please do a "stat perfdump" command in the console on the clean config and after the stuttering happens.

Then show us the .log files (named so we can tell the difference) as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0