• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Deep Blue Z Summer Beta 2 2023 is Live!

Kittenmittens

Tripwire Interactive Community Team
Staff member
kf2deepbluezkeyart.jpg

To opt into this beta on Steam, join the "preview" branch available in the Beta drop-down list. Admins will need to use the following SteamCMD flag:
  • app_update 232130 -beta preview

To opt into this beta on EGS, the Beta will be accessible within KF2 owners’ game libraries as a separate install called “Killing Floor 2 Beta”. Users may need to restart their EGS launcher for the Beta to populate and be accessible to install. Progress for stats and inventory is shared between both versions on EGS so for users switching between Beta and Live be sure to sync your game data to use the latest timestamp to prevent any lost progress from participating in the Beta. The Beta on EGS also includes its dedicated server within the install folder for your hosting needs for this version.

Event
Deep Blue Z
  • Unveil the secrets of a Horzine Deep Sea Underwater research base, deep in the Marianas Trench, that has definitely seen better days. Who knew Zeds could dive? Clean up the facility in the new map, Subduction. Unfortunately, there has been another outbreak besides the Zeds, and it’s a really dangerous Contamination in the air. Defend the Safe Area in Contamination Zone Weekly Mode and be careful with staying outside, you might end up more beaten up than after fighting a Fleshpound. Luckily, there’s a new HRG weapon to help you keep the crowd controlled and defend a spot: the HRG Bombardier. A heavy-loaded Drone that will make Zeds go boom if they get near. Check this new content coming right from the Depths!

New Additions and Highlights
  • 1 New Community Map
    • Subduction
      subductionbelow.jpg
      • Compatible with Survival, Weekly, VS, and Endless Game Modes.
      • A submarine Horzine facility.
  • 1 New Weekly Mode
    • Contamination Zone
      contaminationzoneingame.PNG
      • On each wave, a Safe Area is marked on the map.
      • Players will receive damage if standing out of that Safe Area.
      • All of the map will be safe when 5 zeds or less are alive (per wave) and during Trader Time.
      • Zed spawns are modified.
      • Length: 7 waves.
  • 2 New Weapons
    • HRG Bombardier for the Demolitionist
      hrgbombadierbeautyrender.png
      • An alternative version of the Commando’s Sentinel for the Demolitionist perk.
      • Assistance equipment that deploys a Grenade-firing Drone, controlling crowds with Area damage and Stumble power.
      • Right-click will create a cluster explosion by detonating the drone.
      • Trader price is 500 Dosh.
    • S12 Shockgun for the Support (Not available for purchase individually during BETA)
      s12standardbeautyrender.png
      • The S12 Shockgun is a paid DLC weapon.
      • A tier 4 Semi-Auto Shotgun with a special trait: its Alt-Fire creates an EMP wave to help avoid being surrounded and lethal for weak Zeds.
      • Trader price is 1500 Dosh.
  • New Steam Achievements
    • Subduction related achievements
  • Time-limited Objectives, Tickets, and Cosmetics (Not available during BETA)
    • Seasonal objectives related to Subduction and the Weekly Mode
    • Complete all seasonal objectives to earn the Shark Jaw Head Accessory
  • Zedconomy (Not available for purchase during BETA)
    • Stingray Weapon Skin Bundle Pack
    • Jaeger MKIV Weapon Skin Bundle Pack
    • Junkyard MKII Weapon Skin Bundle Pack
    • Predator Weapon Skin Bundle Pack
    • Horzine Diver Outfit Bundle
    • S12 Shockgun Weapon Bundle
    • Killing Floor 2 - Cosmetics Season Pass

Addressed Community Feedback
As mentioned in the 2022 Killing Floor 2 ‘State of the Game’ our goal is to bring to the community a continued stream of QOL changes for each update throughout the year. Please continue to report any QOL changes you believe should be added to the game by submitting your feedback in the ‘general’ section on our official forums at: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forum/killing-floor-2

General

Balance
  • Weapons
    • S12 Shockgun
      • Increased weapon’s Stumble power from 5 to 10
      • Increased main fire Damage from 24 to 28
      • Increased Spread from 0.08 to 1.2
    • HRG Bombardier
      • Increased main fire’s explosion Damage from 35 to 50
      • Increased projectile’s speed from 0.6 to 0.2
    • Minigun
      • Damage from 35 to 38
    • Sentinel + HRG bombardier
      • Both drones will not enable Scrake/Fleshpound’s rage due to the amount of attacks received. The drones can still enable these Zeds’ rage due to health threshold.
      • Both drones will no longer trigger zed time.
        • Additional Designers note: Apologies! These Sentinel and HRG Bombardier notes were missed on Beta 1 changelogs!
  • Perks
    • Field Medic
      • Took back Symbiotic Health’s self heal to 6%
Designer Notes:

Buffs for the Minigun were well received, but apparently, it was not enough! We gave it a slight damage buff for all those Minigun lovers.

The S12 was overall a welcomed addition, but we received a lot of comments stating that it wasn’t powerful enough to be a real alternative to the AA12, so we gave it a bit more oomph.
The damage, stumble and spread increase should make it a better Zed killing tool.

The HRG Bombardier was working as a support tool, but not efficiently enough. Increasing the projectiles’ speed will make the drone more accurate, and the Damage increase will make it more usable for players.

The Field Medic’s Symbiotic Health skill was reverted to its original state to encourage more team play, and to heal better!

Bug Fixes
Also mentioned in the 2022 Killing Floor 2 ‘State of the Game’ our goal is to bring to the community a continued stream of community-reported bug fixes for each update throughout the year. Please continue to report any bugs you discover by visiting our official forums at: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forum/killing-floor-2 and posting in the ‘PC’ or ‘Console’ sections.
Community Fixes

• Fixed an issue where the Crovel and HE Grenade were used by default when changing perks to Survivalist at the Trader Pod.

Weapon Fixes
  • HRG Bombardier
    • Fixed an issue where the drop model was not being lit.
    • Fixed an issue where the ammo count was different from 1st person to 3rd person.
    • Fixed an issue in 3rd person where the Deploy animation would play when the drone was detonated.
    • Fixed an issue where the muzzle flash was shifted away from the barrel.
    • Fixed an issue where the detonator would disappear when the player is running and throws a grenade.
    • Fixed an issue where the drone would fire multiple projectiles when firing at groups of Zeds.
    • Fixed an issue where the drone would increase its fire rate when firing at groups of Zeds.
    • Fixed an issue where the drone would be frozen at the deployment site during ZED Time.
    • Fixed an issue where the drone would fly off away from the player after being deployed in ZED Time and ZED Time then ended.
    • Fixed clipping issues with the blade in 3rd person.
  • S12 Shockgun
    • Fixed an issue where a dropped weapon with an empty magazine was Green.
    • Fixed an issue with the magazine being duplicated during the elite reload animation.
    • Fixed an issue where the weapon would clip into the camera while strafing right.
    • Updated the animations to minimize clipping and clean up all of the reload animations.
  • Fixed an issue for the G36c Assault Rifle reload animation where the magazine would disappear in the third person during both partial and full reloads.
  • Fixed an issue for the ZED MKIII reload animation where the magazine would drop to the floor during a partial reload.

Map Fixes
  • Subduction
    • Worked to improve performance on the map in areas where the frame rate would dip.
    • Updated the blood splatter in all areas of the map to ensure proper coverage is occurring.
    • Updated the impact decals in all areas of the map to ensure the proper decal is being applied from bullet impacts.
    • Updated the impact sounds in all areas of the map to ensure the proper sound is playing from bullet impacts on the materials.
    • Updated the occlusion for water audio so that it can be heard from the appropriate distance and not through areas and objects it should not.
    • Added audio for all of the generators
    • Updated the spawned weapon spawn points to prevent clipping into the environment.
    • Updated the lighting throughout to ensure the light cast matches the light source.
    • Updated the Trader Path arrows to clearly designate the path for players.
    • Updated the SYG borders to more accurately reflect the defended area.
    • Fixed an issue where the waypoint arrow for the Auditorium SYG was not present.
    • Fixed multiple invisible collisions near railings throughout the map.
    • Fixed multiple pathing issues for large Zeds near the railings.
    • Fixed an issue that caused the player’s camera to twitch while in the lobby.
    • Fixed multiple instances of z-fighting with the railings and walls throughout the map.
    • Fixed multiple instances of walls disappearing and reappearing within the player’s view.
    • Fixed multiple instances of lights disappearing and reappearing within the player’s view.
    • Fixed multiple instances of texture seams throughout the map.

Weekly Outbreak Fixes
  • Fixed an issue during the Contamination Zone weekly outbreak on Airship where the Safe Area had no SYG lines designating it.

Localization Fixes
  • Corrected the Russian text for the Projections from the Deep achievement.
  • Updated the description of the Seasonal Objective “Somewhere, beyond the Z” to fit within the designated UI

General Fixes
  • Fixed multiple instances of log spam around lighting/PCV warnings as well as StaticLoadObject warnings.

As always, thank you for your continued support!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: razorfancy
I had guessed the Symbiotic Health nerf would be reverted. Not that it's a real noticeable difference in the first place.

Not really sure about the Shockgun buffs, but sure. Not happy with the Bombardier or its buffs.

However...
S12 Shockgun
  • Increased Spread from 0.08 to 1.2
I'm guessing this is supposed to be 0.12, because 1.2 would be less usable than Borderlands gimmick shotguns.

Minigun
  • Damage from 35 to 38
I do have to laugh that this thing keeps getting buffed more and more. It's already more than usable at this point if you halfway understand what you're doing with the thing and you're not playing Formula 1: Nuked map edition.

Most players say the minigun is bad because they're not expecting a minigun to be balanced with this game's recoil/reload gating/etc. mechanics in mind, they're expecting something like the minigun from Doom 2016/Eternal where all the shots go completely straight, there's one ammo pool with no reloading, there's no recoil whatsoever, and the gun effectively mulches anything you point it at while allowing you to maintain full speed while kiting (read: they expect it to be able to chunk Fleshpounds and Scrakes without headshots, even in Hell on Earth).

Obviously that isn't the kind of experience KF2 is aiming for, nor the basis for the Commando class itself (which is accurate, paced shooting with fire and recoil control), and players who continue to misunderstand it will continue to ask for buffs until it's basically a superior FAL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
That is unlikely to change for this update, but it is something the team is interesting in learning why players feel this set of objectives is bad so it can take note for the future.
It took me 5 or 6 hours of playtime working on only the EMP objective to get it done. I don't like the RNG objectives either, but this one was just a little too big. I understand that it's a "seasonal" and meant to be completed over the course of the event, but I don't play games like that. Myself and many other players will play a game in bursts - I don't play every day, but I usually play once or twice a week at this point, and I tend to do all available objectives in just a couple sittings. I wouldn't be able to keep coming back daily for shorter play sessions because my life just doesn't work like that. I'm personally not able to concentrate on daily tasks and, as is often the case in online games in general these days, daily chores. I hope this message is helpful to you. Thank you for the fun update! :D

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
I do have to laugh that this thing keeps getting buffed more and more. It's already more than usable at this point if you halfway understand what you're doing with the thing and you're not playing Formula 1: Nuked map edition.

Most players say the minigun is bad because they're not expecting a minigun to be balanced with this game's recoil/reload gating/etc. mechanics in mind, they're expecting something like the minigun from Doom 2016/Eternal where all the shots go completely straight, there's one ammo pool with no reloading, there's no recoil whatsoever, and the gun effectively mulches anything you point it at while allowing you to maintain full speed while kiting (read: they expect it to be able to chunk Fleshpounds and Scrakes without headshots, even in Hell on Earth).

Obviously that isn't the kind of experience KF2 is aiming for, nor the basis for the Commando class itself (which is accurate, paced shooting with fire and recoil control), and players who continue to misunderstand it will continue to ask for buffs until it's basically a superior FAL.
I totally concur, as always. I never got what the fuss was about regarding the Minigun... Sure, I guess the idea behind T5 weaponry is that its supposed to be THE ULTIMATE option for their respective perks. Yet, stuff like the Gravity Imploder (lol) prove that it's not always the case.

The minigun comes with many downsides, but that's to be expected of a goddamn MINIGUN. It's heavy, ammo-hungry and needs to be prepped up in order to unleash a rain of lead. It's a pure wall of bullets in exchange for versatility. You just CANNOT expect that thing to be as good as a FAL, SCAR or even AK12, which are much lighter and versatile. It ain't the perfect way to play Commando, but should you choose to commit, you have to understand that the Minigun is there mostly to be a pure trash annihilator. Is it worth trading your precious assault rifles is another debate entirely... In most cases I'd say no.

That is unlikely to change for this update, but it is something the team is interesting in learning why players feel this set of objectives is bad so it can take note for the future.
Well... It ain't rocket science, and I honestly don't get how game devs could think that pure grinding would be embraced by the community, especially so late in the game life cycle. I clearly don't agree with flashn00b's idea of having more RNG-based objectives... They are equally frustrating if not more so because you have no control over them. Ideally, I'd like to have more "challenge-based" objectives, which ask you to pull some specific stuff like when you had to boomstick jump.

It just ain't fun to use the same weapon for two dozens playthroughs.

Reactions: Cannonaire
Upvote 0
I clearly don't agree with flashn00b's idea of having more RNG-based objectives... They are equally frustrating if not more so because you have no control over them
The reason I suggested that we should go back to RNG objectives is because prior seasonal objectives came off to me as a case of "be careful what you wish for", cuz the end result ended up with objectives that were worse than RNG reliance. If they refuse to make objectives that are fun to play, then I'd rather take the less bad option than the current ones.

Upvote 0
  1. Like previously mentioned, not everyone has time to play a ton these days. Having to spent countless hours just farming/grinding one objective is one thing, but having to do two extremely grindy objectives?
  2. It's understandable that the objectives were made to be grindy to try and keep players around to play the game for the duration of the event. However, there needs to be a balance with how grindy it is VS how reasonable it is. If it's too grindy, players will actually end up getting far more burnt out with the event rather than being interested in still playing. If anything it discourages people from wanting to even try to do the event to begin with.
    A direct quote from a friend who spent an entire day grinding out the seasonal event...
    "It's so simple, being forced to use the same weapon for 10 different matches is exhausting, and that's if you force yourself to get them as soon as possible. Otherwise it's even more games. And not to mention you'll probably force yourself to use the same perk because why would you not be a support or survivalist with the shotgun? It's way too much."
  3. Going off of the quote and adding to point #2... Players who are trying to farm out the event objectives, will have to use the same exact play style for a prolonged period of time. Like the drone for example, you'd ideally wanna play Demo or Survivalist to maximize the drone's damage potential in order to grind out the objectives quicker. Imagine having to do that same exact thing for hours of gameplay straight, it gets annoying fast. It has such an unreasonable amount to grind towards that I've often seen the other 8 perks try to use the drone just for the sake of getting it done without having to do the same exact gameplay every time.
    As for the EMP affliction objective... it's a bit more flexible, but not by much. If you don't have access to the S12 Shockgun (which is the quickest and most efficient way to farm said objective), people would have to play as a Zerk most of the time and spam EMP grenades and the HRG Telsa Launcher's underslung grenades. As for the other options: HRG Arc Generator, Killerwatt, HV Storm Cannon, HRG Disruptor, Reducto Ray... they are not efficient enough to truly farm out the objective (though the HRG Arc Generator seemed to be semi-reasonable). This ends up having the same issue as the drone one, in which people have to forcibly play a certain play style for several hours resulting in people getting burnt out and annoyed.

Upvote 0
as a player who has been on since day 1 of the mod release.... i don't understand why everyone is so happy with gun reskin/level updates being the only thing, what this game really needs is for us to get a new boss/playable character/vs update that allows us to select the difficulty, the current state of the game is nobody plays vs cuz it's so damn easy and you only get to play normal difficuly/ only get to use patriarch. change these boring new gun/new level/ perk updates already and give us sum real content. your not going to revitalize the community with these boring content updates.

Upvote 0
as a player who has been on since day 1 of the mod release.... i don't understand why everyone is so happy with gun reskin/level updates being the only thing, what this game really needs is for us to get a new boss/playable character/vs update that allows us to select the difficulty, the current state of the game is nobody plays vs cuz it's so damn easy and you only get to play normal difficuly/ only get to use patriarch. change these boring new gun/new level/ perk updates already and give us sum real content. your not going to revitalize the community with these boring content updates.
oh and also this bogus system where we only get abandon all hope 2 times a year. make that a playable difficulty already, we are bored of Hell on Earth on xbox servers..... trust me there are very few of us who play it, we need ABANDON ALL HOPE as a playable difficulty please and thank you.

Upvote 0
Wait... Does anyone actually care about VS mode?

Playable characters don't change anything gameplay-wise, I don't get why you picked that as an example.

As for new bosses... Sure why not. But like any opponent, you're bound to learn its pattern, strengths and weaknesses. It will probably add some fresh air for a couple of weeks, but it won't change much in the grand scheme of things.

oh and also this bogus system where we only get abandon all hope 2 times a year. make that a playable difficulty already, we are bored of Hell on Earth on xbox servers..... trust me there are very few of us who play it, we need ABANDON ALL HOPE as a playable difficulty please and thank you.
I'm too bad to play that mode... But I think that should definitely be done yes. In fact, get rid of weeklies entirely and just bring back mutators. Let people spice up their game if they want to. Most mutators aren't very fun and I'll probably never play them again after earning the reward...But some would be nice to play with friends more often than by pure luck, every 3 months or so.

Upvote 0
it's actually very simple, if u you want to get more players you expand on possible game modes, they have been giving us a bunch of weapons that are just reskins of old models. with 160 plus in the game already whats the point in adding even more? a new boss would be something we can get used to yes, but it would add alot of excitement and revitilitze the community, a new playable character ads a bunch of content to the game, u don't realize how ofter everybody on the game laughs and recites the lines from the characters, they are an essential part of the game, the fact is we have had no real content updates in years because it's all just reskins an a new map every time. the biggest thing about versus is that EVERYONE wants to play it, but NOBOBDY has fun cuz u have a bunch of Hell on Earth level players fighting normal difficulty zeds. if u update versus to at least give us a new playable boss or selectable difficulty it will revive the game mode. people want to play it. it's just a guarantee to get to boss wave then u wait for the boss player to win.
but yes i also agree get rid of weekly, they are un needed. just let us select the weeklys as playable game modes.

Upvote 0
hey devs, its June 6th, what are you waiting for and drop this already.
Considering we can already play with nearly everything (from the new weekly to the new objectives, or the new weapons), I don't get why you'd be so pressed to get the update released? Unless if you're playing on console maybe?

Plus, actually, it's not even summer yet 🤓

Upvote 0