• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Deathmessages kill distance

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
In the deathmessages the distance at which you killed someone is shown.
This is nice for long range rifleshots to boast about your skill, and for getting a sense of how far distances are.

It brings an issue though that if you didnt notice the person that killed you that you can know he was actually 3 meters behind you. So you can instantly notify your teammates.

Thats why i suggest a simple suggestion, if kills are made under say 50 meters simply display as distance <50m rather than 24 or 7 meters. This allows for more stealth in the gameplay. So that the exact enemies position cannot really be determined from the deathmessages.

Last edited:
Some features the game will have wether we want them or not, if you see an issue with a feature sometimes its better to state exactly what the issue is and try to find a solution to that.

The issue with seeing how far away you killed someone, is that you can use that information to pinpoint the enemies location. If you can take that away then the primary issue is gone.

Half the stuff will probably not be there on hardcore mode or whatever, but some suggestion can make the game better even on the default mode.

Upvote 0
Well it could work if only showed to the person that made the kill, but the entire opponent team shouldnt be able to see it then, rather than only not showing it to the person that was killed.

The reason why i suggested keeping it in because the intention is that the enemy can comment on it being a good shot as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the reason it is in the game to begin with is purely for e-peen reasons... theres just no other reason to have kill distances in there except to somehow make you feel good for a long shot. The next question becomes, is it something meant to be bragged about for public e-peen reasons.. and this question will be answered with the way they implement it - basically whether or not everyone can see the kill distances.

If it's displayed to everyone, then in some situations you'll be able to tell where the enemy was.. but more often than not in ROOST you can easily tell where you were killed from without those messages, sooooo..

Upvote 0
In the deathmessages the distance at which you killed someone is shown.
This is nice for long range rifleshots to boast about your skill, and for getting a sense of how far distances are.

It brings an issue though that if you didnt notice the person that killed you that you can know he was actually 3 meters behind you. So you can instantly notify your teammates.

Thats why i suggest a simple suggestion, if kills are made under say 50 meters simply display as distance <50m rather than 24 or 7 meters. This allows for more stealth in the gameplay. So that the exact enemies position cannot really be determined from the deathmessages.

No I am against all death messages. I believe that it ruin game only, if you know name of player which killed you several time on same place and you will see that someone got him, you know that path is cleared. Also there is lot of examples. It give you illegal information about enemy and it should be banned from game.

Very often I used death messages to get free kill by back-dooring positioned enemy, due to information that he is still alive and he still shoot our soldiers.

Or remember player name which is securing your back and if he die, death message tell you that enemy is behind you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm against instant deathmessages myself, but that there will be deathmessages in the normal mode is a given and the distance will be shown. And thats what this suggestion is for primarily.

Its often easy to know where you were killed from indeed, and its easy to often see where a nade is being thrown or where the bullet came from. But personally i dont want to get systems tell me too much info.

If systems are added because they are deemed fun like the kill distance, then i hope that atleast it cannot be used to measure where the enemy is or what the enemy is doing.

For this mode i think a compromise is better than nothing, would i prefer no kill distance being showed yes. Would i prefer people to not know if they actually hit or missed through a deathmessage then the answer is yes. But not everything is the way I want it, and for newer players features are added to make life easier for them.
The issue is that features that help a player often show a bit too much information to the player, taking away the aspect of tension of not knowing where the enemy is and what he is doing next. And i think that while keeping most of those aid functions a lot of the tension can still be restored hence this suggestion, as a form of tension will make the game more fun for everybody.

For most of us there is the hardcoreish mode anyway, but i believe that with small changes that keep all fun or user friendly functions in place. Could add more tension to the game and more fun for all players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't mind death messages, but showing the distance is too much.

Take this example. There are three people all standing together. If you hit and kill one player, you will now know the distance of the other players. This will assist you in aiming, as you know the exact distance of the enemies.

If anything, it should be left to retard mode only.

Upvote 0
FFS peterpan, this is not about that at all.. Deathmessages will be there and there will be showcases of the killdistance. This is not a discussion about that its about if they are there anyway how to make them optimal.

This discussion is about if that is there, how to make sure it cannot be used that much for finding out ones position.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FFS peterpan, this is not about that at all.. Deathmessages will be there and there will be showcases of the killdistance. This is not a discussion about that its about if they are there anyway how to make them optimal.

This discussion is about if that is there, how to make sure it cannot be used that much for finding out ones position.

Peace man, its forum, isnt it?

Upvote 0
Why not make it like this for all ranges? You'd have ranges like >50m, 50-100m, 101-150m etc... So it would basically show the range with 50m accuracy.

I say not to all ranges.

I am ok with death messages (but adds to the immersion to completely remove them). But putting in the range? That is giving away far too much info.

What is next? When you die, will your camera zoom into the person who killed you? These things work great in CoD and TF2, but don't fit in any game claiming to be realistic.

Upvote 0
But i think that tension is one of the key points that makes RO fun, and i want all players even with aids to feel that tension.

Thats why i made this suggestion, for most of us its clear what we want, but thats why there are 2 modes, one for the realistically rectal ones like us and one for more generic players. I just want even if people get aids that they can feel the same tension as that is for me that makes the game fun. Teamwork and tension.

Last edited:
Upvote 0