• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Death of Mikhail Kalashnikov

The Commissar

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2011
Hero Mikhail Kalashnikov has passed away today.

Michael_Kalashikov.jpg

Russian: http://russian.rt.com/article/20115
English: http://rt.com/news/kalashnikov-dies-inventor-ak-47-887/

Покойся с миром, дорогой товарищ.

Been wondering the same, its not like the AK47 saved millions during the war or something, its just another weapon... Hey, lets celebrate nuclear weapons too, there must be some kind of way to put them in good use right?

Edit: Ok, I guess you could say that technology in general advances much faster during war times (eg rockets), but still don't see how a good automatic rifle must be celebrated so much...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One comment of his did stand out for me, he said he's not responsible for what politicians do with his creation. This can be said for most engineers and technical people today who have to sacrifice integrity and their principles to gain money or promotions, there is no forethought, no gathering of technical people who say "what purpose will it have" "how will people use it". An item or a building design is just created and thrown out into the world which is run by the technically unqualified. After the atom bomb was developed, Oppenheimer asked president Truman to drop it off the coast of Japan as a warning that the US government had the weapon, president Truman told him to get out.

Kalashnikov's comment is an attempt to remove himself of any guilt. But if you are going to create something, give it to a government or just release it into the world, you are responsible, or irresponsible, for not giving forethought to the creation and its purpose.

Upvote 0
really ?

his weapon killed and keeps on killing people. *yeye spare me the *guns dont kill people, people kill people* bs*

"congrats" for that "heroic" archivment :rolleyes:

Hero is his literal title. He was awarded Hero of Soviet Labour twice and finally Hero of the Russian Federation. I'm not defending the production of the world's smallest WMD, but if you see a lot of headlines, especially in Russian, calling him a "hero" without qualification, it's likely in reference to those awards. All lesser awards come with the title "cavalier", but a Hero of the SU/RF is, obviously, a "Hero".

It's actually kind of weird to see "cavalier" used for Soviet Awards - it sounds like an oxymoron. Then again "Order" in the chivalric sense is already oxymoronic for the Soviet Union.

Upvote 0
really ?

his weapon killed and keeps on killing people. *yeye spare me the *guns dont kill people, people kill people* bs*

"congrats" for that "heroic" archivment :rolleyes:

+1

I am certainly not happy that he is dead (actually I am not happy about anyone dying) but sad? Certainly not. It is always a shame when smart people use their knowledge and creativity for something destructive and not constructive.

Upvote 0
I ask you show respect to this man and his legacy.

I do not want to have people baiting, trying to get an argument started. Not only knowing very little about Kalashnikov (specifically what he did, who he was, what he believed, etc.), but also failing to understand as basic concepts such as "responsibility."

If you have nothing good to say, or will simply spout "he made bad guy gun guise! is sooo bad," with no intelligent thought, I ask you don't post.

Upvote 0
I ask you show respect to this man and his legacy.

I do not want to have people baiting, trying to get an argument started. Not only knowing very little about Kalashnikov (specifically what he did, who he was, what he believed, etc.), but also failing to understand as basic concepts such as "responsibility."

If you have nothing good to say, or will simply spout "he made bad guy gun guise! is sooo bad," with no intelligent thought, I ask you don't post.

Here is a nice example about having a legacy.

Remember Alfred Nobel (I hope so). The man invented a lot of things good things but he is most likely known for inventing dynamite. When a brother of Alfred Nobel died a french newspaper did some sloppy research and thought that he was dead. They wrote a obituary about alfred novel and called him the merchant of death. Beside dynamite (which wasnt directly used in the war industry) he also made some other inventions for the military. Being given such a nickname probably made them man thinking and so he created the Nobel Fund and because of that we have stuff like the nobel price.

Speaking of responsibility?

Upvote 0
Speaking of Nobel price, the whole thing is a joke nowadays. A price in economics? Peace price for Obama? For Kissinger? Its a political circlejerk, nothing else.

Kalashnikov engineered something that a simple peasant could use to defend Mother Russia with. Very evil of him, should have engineered the M16 that spreads freedom and democracy with every bullet.

Upvote 0
Kalashnikov engineered something that a simple peasant could use to defend Mother Russia with. Very evil of him, should have engineered the M16 that spreads freedom and democracy with every bullet.
peasents defending mother Russia from evil capitalist pigs

tehrik3zd2.jpg

btw the guys who said something against your hero are probably thinking the same about anyone else who makes weapons, AK,..M16,..G17,.. whatever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0