• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Death Messages Delay?

Because it is an FPS and people like getting kills in FPSs. The game is competitive by its nature the player wants validation of his triumph over another player.

^ exactly :)

it's a game so it needs to have the most common features seen in an fps game in order to attract the majority of players to actually play the game.

if people don't want any type of death messages regardless of delays, i suggest going down to your nearest Army recruiting headquarters......or just be happy that TW will give you the option to turn them off and hope that your server attracts enough "realism" fanboys to keep it filled

Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0
Unfortunately I can already see 90% of the servers, even the full realism ones, enabling death messages. I don't understand why most ROOST servers have DM enabled. I mean, the game is so much better without death messages! Firefights would be so much intense.

As long as you can instantly check whether you killled someone or not through the scoreboard then the idea of uncertainty of no deathmessages is gone.

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
As long as you can instantly check whether you killled someone or not through the scoreboard then the idea of uncertainty of no deathmessages is gone.

At least it will let some players who wish it to not always check the scoreboard. I used to check it myself from times to times when I played on a DH server that had DMs disabled but in HoS there will be (hopefully) so many servers that you can choose what you play.

Upvote 0
At least it will let some players who wish it to not always check the scoreboard. I used to check it myself from times to times when I played on a DH server that had DMs disabled but in HoS there will be (hopefully) so many servers that you can choose what you play.

Personally i simply hope that the score of the scoreboard is delayed with the same amount as the death messages.

Or that the scoreboard only updates for you when you die or that the game is over.

Upvote 0

There is a way in DH (so I'm assuming RO) to disable to the scores on the scoreboard. You still see people's "ranking" (like who's on top or whatever), but you can't "cheat" and check if your score went up to see if you got that long distance bolt kill.

The German server (Franzkeizer or something like that) I mentioned above used to have this feature enabled but have now put the scoreboard back to normal unfortunately... perhaps because they weren't getting enough players :(

Upvote 0
Which got exactly the same effect, all i'm saying is that i hope you cannot use the scoreboard to confirm a kill.

I'll go with Zets too, but at the same time I like to look at the scoreboard to see who is playing, who left the game etc. In that case, I'd still like access to the scoreboard but with the delay.

I would actually remove the score from the scoreboard altogether until the end of the round.
You could still have the player list and their ping/specialization, but the players would be sorted alphabetically and the score would be removed.
I think it might be more fun to have to wait until the end of the round to get the score, ranking, medals, mvp, etc.

Upvote 0
I'm very pleased to hear about the efforts to make the game less gamey and more realistic. In reality it is much more hardcore than playing without death messages for people don't generally die instantaneously from bullet wounds except if to the cranium or neck. The improvements that are now in place can have several positive consequences:

1. Keep shooting at target, especially the further away, more hidden they are, despite already having hit them, because one is unsure.

2. Someone else doing this, giving their position away more, draining their ammo and presenting a juicy opportunity.

3. A person thinking they got one, and perhaps they did hit (wounding) - and going on to regret the assumption. :)

I like stats, and competitiveness is fun too. But like many pointed out, one can have both due to delays or just showing when dead/after the round. It is also possible to see if one killed someone or not by.. looking at them directly. How badly do you want to find out? Enough to risk getting hit? ;)

It is more difficult for beginners to learn how to shoot accurately but since there are options, they can earn in any way they want.

Upvote 0
All it needs is to have a scoreboard that isn't instantly updated, i.e. updates every 30-60 seconds. If players are happy to sit behind a piece of cover for a minute to confirm they got a kill then congrats to them, but imho so long as you make it a chore to double check a kill, most people will play on due to being in the thick of things.

Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0
Yep delayed death messages are in. It will likely be the default for realism mode. And we'll have plenty of options for the death messages, including no death messages, or configuring the delay time. For countdown in particular it really helps make the game more intense having the delay and not knowing for sure if you killed someone or not right away.
-----------------------

Yes this is nice
Me personally no death message update or at least 30 sec delay

Like someone said No Kills on scoreboard are registered till round end,,but still have access
to score B,to see pings,teammates etc.

Already mentioned---to have a top 3 MVP when round ends both teams

Like to see messages with trophys/achivements/metals,etc earned no delay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would actually remove the score from the scoreboard altogether until the end of the round.
You could still have the player list and their ping/specialization, but the players would be sorted alphabetically and the score would be removed.
I think it might be more fun to have to wait until the end of the round to get the score, ranking, medals, mvp, etc.

This sounds like a fecking awesome idea.

EDIT: BTW, I can't remember, but didn't TWI say that you could totally disable death messages and the scoreboard at some point in one of the many vids and all that? I know for sure they said you could disable death messages but can't remember if they mentioned scoreboard...

Last edited:
Upvote 0