• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Death and Game Immersion

chasse

Mar 28, 2013
It's 2013. It's been 21 years since Wolfenstein 3D was unveiled as the first mainstream FPS. Yet why do games still insist on having players wait around, twiddling thumbs for long periods of time waiting for things like respawn? And why do we have to utterly break the immersion and magic of the game by hard-jumping into spectator mode while we wait? I'm a hardcore player, and I never like to wait to play even if the playing is an interaction as simple as spotting targets. I suggest players are given some activity to do in their down time whether it be artillery spotting, hauling supplies somewhere else on the map, writing/reading obituaries of the poor souls that died in the war, anything to keep me within the context/story of the game while actually playing the game!

If it were me, I'd change the player's pawn to a crow/raven and just have them fly around pecking corpses with minimal impact on the actual game..........

Last edited:
It's 2013. It's been 21 years since Wolfenstein 3D was unveiled as the first mainstream FPS. Yet why do games still insist on having players wait around, twiddling thumbs for long periods of time waiting for things like respawn? And why do we have to utterly break the immersion and magic of the game by hard-jumping into spectator mode while we wait? I'm a hardcore player, and I never like to wait to play even if the playing is an interaction as simple as spotting targets. I suggest players are given some activity to do in their down time whether it be artillery spotting, hauling supplies somewhere else on the map, writing/reading obituaries of the poor souls that died in the war, anything to keep me within the context/story of the game while actually playing the game!

If it were me, I'd change the player's pawn to a crow/raven and just have them fly around pecking corpses with minimal impact on the actual game..........

Err, no thanks. This isn't real life you know, and the spawn time is only 25 seconds at MOST. No time to be a crow, or do anything else you mentioned. You have time to change a class, select a spawn and wait the extra 10 seconds. There really is no point unless it's a single life gamemode like CD

Upvote 0
Imo: increase distance between spawn and front line, so there is more room for maneuvring. Next, spawn wait time can be decreased if deemed necessary, to keep total time to the front approximately the same.

The idea is to spawn in 'waves' more as a team and a shorter spawn time (even with a longer distance) promotes more individualism.

You can always maneuver side to side on the maps if you feel you want to maneuver more, or play on servers that are running the bigger custom maps.

Upvote 0
The idea is to spawn in 'waves' more as a team and a shorter spawn time (even with a longer distance) promotes more individualism.

You can always maneuver side to side on the maps if you feel you want to maneuver more, or play on servers that are running the bigger custom maps.

It is ofcourse a situation that has be looked at on a map per map basis.

Upvote 0
I usually find a nice comfy spot near the spawn, sit down, have a smoke and ***** about the officers and the food. It's so realistic and immersive, I feel a close connection to all those who have gone before us. I've even teared up at times listening to my teammates scream and moan as they die off in the distance. It's the true hardcore.

Plus, it eliminates that pesky immersion breaking respawn problem.

Upvote 0
If you die, you should take 15 seconds and think about from where you could have been shot and what you should do differently.
Seriously, I do this every time.
In CoD where you can respawn instantly you just start sprinting instantly whereever your spawnpoint is pointing. A player needs a cooldown time to, yes you guessed it, cool down.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping RS lets you spawn on the little boats (APC?) that you take to assault the beaches. So if you at 20 seconds on the respawn time you instantly go to the vehicle and then your waiting around with other players who are re-spawning on the boat for 20 seconds as you drive towards the beach. Obviously you can't be killed on the boat.

RO2 could do this with troop transport vehicles instead of respawns, you spawn in the back of a truck that drives towards the traditional respawn point.

Upvote 0
Imo: increase distance between spawn and front line, so there is more room for maneuvring. Next, spawn wait time can be decreased if deemed necessary, to keep total time to the front approximately the same.
i like this idea. we'd need the bigger maps for it to work though. no way it would do any good on most of the stock maps like apt.'s or barracks.

You discuss tactics with other players while you are dead. That is what I do.
i wondered why you spend so much time chatting. ;)
just kidding. thx for your hard work!

Upvote 0
Id love it if after blacking out dead and 3 seconds of silence with perhaps a review of your performance that life (who you killed. HOW you were killed. Where you were shot).
THEN, the spectate cam shows a view of where you will be spawning. If you "Spawn on SL", you spectate him. Either way map in the upper right constantly shows you where on the map you are spawning. All this would be to acclimate you to where you will spawn.

Spawning can be pretty jaring. This spawn camera would allow players to enter the world in an interesting way rather than just poping into existance.

Upvote 0
Spawning is a big issue in Red Orchestra, firstly because you don't always spawn as a team in the desired point of focus, secondly when you assault the team members aren't spread on the map, the majority of them are centered in one location and last but not least, if you miss the spawn you can't do pretty much anything. You need to wait, maybe a spawn thing that would spawn you to the closest location on the front would be nice. But nevertheless spawn has its issues.

Upvote 0