• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dear Tripwire, My list of changes :)

Fiennes

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2011
I will prefix this post with a disclaimer that I love the game. I make no bones about it. That said, there's quite a bit of stuff that needs fixing:

Commendations

I scored high the last round, let me take that Elite Rifleman class! Oh, but don't bother to tell the other player, wondering why he can't spawn. Just give him a mouse cursor and recolour the scoreboard so that they think they're in spectator mode. This is infuriating (and it has happened to me far too often). Either remove the ability to "take" other roles, or tell the person that they need to choose something else IN A TIMELY FASHION. If that means increasing the "before round" countdown by 15 seconds, so be it. Many RO:2 tactics rely on the first rush for position, and to be left out because the game didn't tell you that your role has changed is just plain lazy. You can tell this irks me, can't you?

Respawning

For God's sake, don't make me click my spawn AND the Ready button. The user-interface is sluggish, and when there's 0:01 on the respawn clock, it means a missed respawn. Better yet, just respawn me on my previous choice - if I didn't have time to change it, I don't care, just put me back in the action.

Oh, and it's great that when I choose to spawn on the squad leader, you spectate him for me. Then when I click Ready, you go and spectate some random schmoe. Please, just continue to spectate the Squad Leader. If he's in a firefight, I'd like to be prepared.

Speaking of spawning on the Squad Leader, I kind of expect to spawn with him when he's in a room firing rounds out of the window. I don't expect to spawn outside, with the stuff he's firing at.

Auto-Balance

1) If the round is due to end in 'x' minutes, or if the side that needs balancing is out of reinforcements, auto-balance should never occur.

2) The server should allow a "whitelist" to be configured so that clans can play together on the same side (they path for the server, right?) and are exempt from any auto-balancing.

3) Auto-balance shouldn't strictly be random. If I have been there since round start and slogged my way through 12 minutes of capturing objectives and killing the enemy, it's a slap in the face (A slap, I tell you!) to be auto-balanced. The game should pick recently joined players who have not made such an impact. It may suck whoever it is, but let's not punish those who have really fought.

4) Before auto-balance, a count-down should show ("10 seconds to Auto-Balance"). If somebody elects to do it themselves of their own back, they get +5 team points or something for good team play.

5) Irrespective of how somebody is auto-balanced (whether by choice or automatically) the respawn timer is ignored and they are spawned as soon as they have chosen their role.

These changes to auto-balance would remove a lot of frustration, I feel.

Lockdown

Might make sense on the first objective if you're going to keep it, but not for the rest. An argument for lockdown is that it prevents the attacking team from camping and sniping. I am not sure if this was a problem in the original RO, or even if it is a problem now. The team will lose if they do that. This is open to debate, of course. Perhaps it can be a server-configured thing.

Graphics

* The FPS counter is saying I'm getting 75-95fps, but it *feels* like 30. There is a huge room for improvement here. I love this game, and I like the look of it - I really do - but it's not "smooth". And I'm not talking about the controls, I think they're fine. But the movement and general interaction with the environment feels slow, and it's not the frame-rate.

General Stability

* I'm glad they've fixed the alt-tab, but there's still the odd random crash. These, obviously, need eradicating like the evil they are.

* Apparently, RO:2 is using 2GB of memory. I'm not 100% sure why this is as I've never, ever played a game that uses that amount of memory before. I have enough and it has not caused me problems (I run with 8gb), but there are plenty of people who don't quite have that much... There is serious room for optimization here.

* The FPS counter is saying I'm getting 75-95fps, but it *feels* like 30. There is a huge room for improvement here. I love this game, and I like the look of it - I really do - but it's not "smooth". And I'm not talking about the controls, I think they're fine. But the movement and general interaction with the environment feels slow, and it's not the frame-rate.

Are you ****ing kidding me?

If it says 75-95fps, it's that many frames a second. How is anyone supposed to know what you're talking about here? It doesn't make any sense.

Upvote 0
Great suggestions, all of which were mention during the beta and non of which made it into the final game.

apparently TWI is too proud to cut/add things into the game at the behest of its fans. Like that one dev said, "They make the game the way they like it, if you dont, make your own."

and he definitley did say that, i was there.

Upvote 0
* Apparently, RO:2 is using 2GB of memory. I'm not 100% sure why this is as I've never, ever played a game that uses that amount of memory before. I have enough and it has not caused me problems (I run with 8gb), but there are plenty of people who don't quite have that much... There is serious room for optimization here.

An application making use of available resources is never a bad thing.

Upvote 0