• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC DeadZone issue [Small Bug]

Humam2104

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2020
Category: Code
Reproducibility: Always
Summary: Right Stick DeadZone Limit is not effective when using the Mouse and Keyboard
Description: I have an xbox controller that I bought a few months ago. I recently noticed a bug in the game related to the DeadZone Issue.
TLDR: Controller deadzone option isn't effective when using a KB+Mouse. sometimes I use my KB+Mouse and keep my controller plugged and that causes this issue. If the controller is unplugged the issue goes away.
Update: The problem is that the right stick Deadzone is not effective when using KB+Mouse. As seen in the video there's a small deviation from the center in the Right-stick that should be ignored as a Deadzone, therefore the camera keeps going down while Pressing W.
Note that this is one continuous clip from start to end. No editing is done on the clip except for the text on top

Last edited:
We appreciate that you go through the effort of writing up and reporting issues when you come across them. Video can quite helpful too. However please give us as much information as possible when writing up a bug an then attach the video to compliment what is written. From this video I am not sure what you are experiencing, in both cases I see you walking forward and do not know what the problem is that you are experiencing. Since you are a regular at reporting bugs, here is a link to our Bug Template thread which give you a look at what sort of information is needed to write up that is useful for QA. https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/bug-template.107058/ You may not have all the info all the time, but as much as info as possible that explains what is being experienced and what you expected to happen instead. Passing this along to you so we can better help and understand each other.

Upvote 0
I confirmed that by design, Dead Zone controls options are only for controller use, specifically analog stick use. The control option will not work with mouse and keyboard. Thank you for the additional details you wrote up.
Summary:
I think there's a confusion here. Deadzone settings are not effective when players are using the Mouse + Keyboard, once they start using the gamepad again it works as usual.
As you can see, the camera goes down when I leave the controller on the side without pressing any buttons or moving any sticks
More Technical Explanation:
I have both the Gamepad and the Mouse + Keyboard plugged in.
Some controllers have sticks that are a small drift which makes them uncentered (from the factory) just like the blue area in the picture below
As a fix for this, games specify a deadzone (an area at which the controller sticks movement won't be affecting the game). As long as the blue dot is inside the red area then the game won't be affected.
In our case, the deadzone is specified and working correctly. BUT when I keep the controller plugged in this deadzone and start using the Keyboard and Mouse this deadzone becomes ineffective and the camera keeps going down due to a small movement in the right stick.
The deadzone settings should be effective while players are using the keyboard. So that if a player chooses to play with Mouse + Keyboard he won't be bothered with any unnecessary movements coming from the controller when not being used.
1621953693831.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been trying to get this deadzone issue fixed since Early Access (TWI always blaming user or hardware to not implement a dead zone setting all these years), good there is now a dead zone setting, which doesn't work in the most relevant situation (when you do not use the controller and the drift from controller is messing with your game).

Keep it up TWI, you'll get it right in a few years I guess.

Upvote 0
I have been trying to get this deadzone issue fixed since Early Access (TWI always blaming user or hardware to not implement a dead zone setting all these years), good there is now a dead zone setting, which doesn't work in the most relevant situation (when you do not use the controller and the drift from controller is messing with your game).

Keep it up TWI, you'll get it right in a few years I guess.
I noticed that it messes with your game when you use the keyboard and mouse for some reason.. when you use the controller it's fine as shown in the video. I don't know what's the issue here. I didn't have this issue before they introduced the deadzone option :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0