• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dead nades and Team Killing

Dead nades and Team Killing

• Suggestion 1

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Suggestion 2

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • Leave it the way it is

Votes: 39 52.0%

• Total voters

Flogger23m

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2009
I have a suggestion about "dead nades".

For those of you that do not know, a dead nade is when the player has a grenade in their hand, but before they get to throw it, they get killed and it drops... then a team member walks over it and blows up, resulting in points taken away from their score to possible being pick from the server.

Now, for the suggestions... maybe these can be server side options:

1) If a player is killed, their grenade will not kill team mates, but will still kill enemy players.

or

2) If a player is killed, their grenade can still kill team mates, but they will not loose points on their score and will not get kicked from the game/have a TK counted against them.

I think the second option is the best. It would be contradicting realism to have grenades not kill a team mate. But at the same time, it is frustrating to get kicked over dead nades. It has happened to me and others before while playing RO. Just two dead nades in one game can kill 2-5 people, which often triggers and autokick.

What does everyone else think?

Last edited:
TK kicks over dead nades are also a form of a throttling mechanism - perhaps one of the few things limiting nadespam. If you know there's a high likelyhood (and usually you are aware of that) of getting shot, exposing yourself to enemy fire while juggling (armed) grenades is a bad idea. That's why you can throw them over things and around corners - because bullets' trajectories don't bend around.

Leave it as it is.

Upvote 0
i think that TKs are not a bad thing... well it sucks when it happens but its still a major part of what makes this game realistic. i think it should be left the way it is. perhaps the person that killed the grenadier should get the extra points for killing more that he bargained for.

**EDIT: What i meant by "i think it should be left the way it is. perhaps the person that killed the grenadier should get the extra points for killing more that he bargained for." is that IF they where to make a change i would feel comfortable with this. tho the game is to me fine right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i think that TKs are not a bad thing... well it sucks when it happens but its still a major part of what makes this game realistic. i think it should be left the way it is. perhaps the person that killed the grenadier should get the extra points for killing more that he bargained for.

yeah, give the point to him, that would be interesting, but what if there is an enemy nearby and dies because of dead nade, would that count as TK for the one who killed the grenadier?

Upvote 0
- because bullets' trajectories don't bend around.

Indeed, but enemy grenades can be thrown over cover and kill you... making you drop your grenade only to have a friendly walk over it.

Like I said, I would prefer the team member to get killed, I just don't want people getting kicked/banned for it. Code it so that when a player is dead, their grenades do not count towards TKs/kick limits. This is what Suggestion 2 means. This is what I personally would favor.

I would not like suggestion 1, as having a grenade blow up under someone and have them walk away unharmed does not belong in a realism game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's not really anything that the game itself can do about that. That's a setting on the hosting server itself. Server admins can chose how many TKs are permitted before 'X' retaliatory action is taken (ie: kicking, banning, etc) and also what percentage of damage someone will take from teammates.

Upvote 0
I have a suggestion about "dead nades".

For those of you that do not know, a dead nade is when the player has a grenade in their hand, but before they get to throw it, they get killed and it drops... then a team member walks over it and blows up, resulting in points taken away from their score to possible being pick from the server.

Now, for the suggestions... maybe these can be server side options:

1) If a player is killed, their grenade will not kill team mates, but will still kill enemy players.

or

2) If a player is killed, their grenade can still kill team mates, but they will not loose points on their score and will not get kicked from the game/have a TK counted against them.

I think the second option is the best. It would be contradicting realism to have grenades not kill a team mate. But at the same time, it is frustrating to get kicked over dead nades. It has happened to me and others before while playing RO. Just two dead nades in one game can kill 2-5 people, which often triggers and autokick.

What does everyone else think?

It is fine the way it is.

A dead nade is a TK... figure out how not to produce dead nades

Upvote 0
The thing is that the fear of getting a TK kick(ban) is making you behave more reasonably and carefully with nades. I can think of so many situations when I'd happily stroll around cooking nades left and right, not really giving a damn about whether it'll be a dead nade - if I knew there won't be any penalties for the accidental TKs.

Same with shooting, really - if I knew there'd be no kick for spraying down a friendly (actually, I meant the enemy more than the friendly) engaged in melee, I'd probably do it more - right now, these are some really rare situations, usually I hold my fire. Because I want to stay on the server, and because it looks like a thing people would do in such situations.

Upvote 0
As said before it's pretty irresponsible to expose yourself to the possibility of being dropped by the enemy whist holding a live grenade in the vicinity of your team mates; and as such you deserve a penalty for tk's inccured.

However, the phaps the real issue here is of being kicked for a single, multiple TK -
Obviously in this case one dead nade in a crowded area can often mean an early bath, which is harsh for a first/single 'misdemeanor'
Even harsher would be the kick for a sapper who takes down 3+ muppets who ignored his satch placement.

It may be fairer (but unfortunately far more complicated) if the system accounted for the number of TK incidents you cause as opposed to the death toll.

Upvote 0
Option 2 for me. I don't see why anyone wants to punish someone for soething that isn't in their control.

It should still harm team mates but the persont hat dropped it shouldn't get punished for it.

I mean how , as someone said, are you supposed to know when not to use them?

You can't know where everyone else, a sniper can have a bead on you from across the map and you won't know until it's too late.

Upvote 0
For me dead nades mostly happen when I'm not in the open. And since RO:HOS will most likely have bullet penetration it would just be beyond annoying to get shot through a wall, drop the nade, kill several teammates, and get kicked. Though there really should be a forgive system for TK's. Actually, there should even be option to not charge someone with a TK if you know it was your own fault.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For me dead nades mostly happen when I'm not in the open.

Indeed. As mentioned in my previous post, enemy grenades coming over walls/through windows is the biggest cause of dead nades for me.

In case people are still confused about suggestion 2, it only goes into effect when the player is dead. When they are alive, a grenade will still cause - points and be counted towards a kick/ban.

About the satchels, yeah, that happens a lot to me to. I often say that I am about to place one multiple times, and tell my team to stay back. I then check outside and make sure that there are no enemies (there are none in sight), then I run up to my objective, arm it, only to have a enemy grenade kill me. Then after I have been dead for 10 or so seconds, three idiots walk over it and get TKed, kicking me for the rest of the session.

Upvote 0
If you don't get punished for "dead nades", then you'll find people deliberatly getting shot while holding nades just to annoy team mates. :p

These days it's rare that someone dosent "NP" after you say "Sorry, dead nade".

The nade spam in this game gets a bit ridiculous. You could have it that dead nade damage no one, but frankly it should stay the way it is.

Upvote 0
Doesn't seem like you read/understood suggestion 2, which does allow for TKs.

TK's from dead nades is fine. It forces the player to think ahead, and plan where and when he'll throw that grenade. If he chooses a bad place to throw it, exposes himself stupidly to enemy fire, gets killed and drops his nade at the feet of teamates he not only deserves the TK's, possibly kick but it is what makes the game more realistic.

Dead nade TK's need to be dealt with by individual players thinking, not by game mechanics changing to allow them in modified ways.

Upvote 0