• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour Release Updates! (Pt 1 April)

That is not entirely true. But I'm not gonna elaborate since Wilsonam seem to be in infraction hand out mood today.

Show me ONE positive thing you ever contributed to this community..see ZERO.:rolleyes:

Keep up the good work DH. And please...integrate it into vRO. You might miss some introscreens and stuff ( wich iam not entirely sure about ) but its worth it..since people are lazy these days...;)

Upvote 0
Of course we thought about it like that the main problem is (despite what other people will say) It just isn't possible to do everything we want to do by intergrating DH into RO (even to do 50% of what we want to do). We have tried it...it doesn't work. We are working on something that should help make the pain a little easier though and at the end of the day DH and RO will always be one and the same but its only 3 or 4 mouse clicks to get from one game to the other. Intergration most likely won't happen unless we get some major breakthrough but like i said we're working on something else.

The issue isn't really how easy it is to get from RO to DH but the thing is no one wants to sit in a near empty server to wait for it to fill up. Here's what happens, a player loads DH, sees 3 people in server, says screw it I want to play in a full RO server and leaves. There might be 20 people who load up in DH in 30 seconds but all will see an empty server.

If it's integrated you can have it on RO servers and then there's no issue.

Anyways, hope you guys can figure something out otherwise I fear for the longevity of the mod (as awesome as it looks -- RO's community is rather small)

It's the same thing as people not wanting to seed a server.

Upvote 0
can a moderator make another thread and move all this intergration stuff there or something... honestly guys we have a tiny team of guys who work 8-12 hours a day (many of us also have full time jobs) to get DH out...we have received threats and abuse from many people and while that is a little off topic we are not trying to split the community and there is no need to worry about empty servers. We are already getting great support from the call of duty, day of defeat and other ww2 online communities many of whom will be setting up servers and moving clans over to DH if all goes well. I'm sorry to say its not just intro screens etc we will be loosing if we intergrate. Putz etc thanks for all your support and for trying to keep this thread level headed. I am aware many of you are concerned but we've made our position clear. Like i said we are working on an alternative and that is where i'll leave it.

I'm prepared to be flamed for this post...

Upvote 0
can a moderator make another thread and move all this intergration stuff there or something... honestly guys we have a tiny team of guys who work 8-12 hours a day (many of us also have full time jobs) to get DH out...we have received threats and abuse from many people and while that is a little off topic we are not trying to split the community and there is no need to worry about empty servers. We are already getting great support from the call of duty, day of defeat and other ww2 online communities many of whom will be setting up servers and moving clans over to DH if all goes well. I'm sorry to say its not just intro screens etc we will be loosing if we intergrate. Putz etc thanks for all your support and for trying to keep this thread level headed. I am aware many of you are concerned but we've made our position clear. Like i said we are working on an alternative and that is where i'll leave it.

To be completely honest here, Aeneas, I don't think it makes the least bit of sense to integrate DH into regular Red Orchestra. It goes against logic from a content stand point.

It works for Carpathian Crosses because of what that mod is about. The Soviets remain a major army and most of the environments, weapons, and contexts all apply for that mod. It simply makes common sense to integrate it into RO -- it shares most of its setting and content.

I think of mods like Darkest Hour and Mare Nostrum as "expansion pack" mods. They move the game to completely other theatres of war, where armies, weapons, terrain, and types of warfare change dramatically from the stock game. Integrating something like that into RO would just be plain awkward... it would be like going to see an action movie, only to have it switch halfway through to one of Mozart's ballets or something -- totally out of place and, well, awkward.

Keep it standalone. It makes more sense that way.

Upvote 0
To be completely honest here, Aeneas, I don't think it makes the least bit of sense to integrate DH into regular Red Orchestra. It goes against logic from a content stand point.

It works for Carpathian Crosses because of what that mod is about. The Soviets remain a major army and most of the environments, weapons, and contexts all apply for that mod. It simply makes common sense to integrate it into RO -- it shares most of its setting and content.

I think of mods like Darkest Hour and Mare Nostrum as "expansion pack" mods. They move the game to completely other theatres of war, where armies, weapons, terrain, and types of warfare change dramatically from the stock game. Integrating something like that into RO would just be plain awkward... it would be like going to see an action movie, only to have it switch halfway through to one of Mozart's ballets or something -- totally out of place and, well, awkward.

Keep it standalone. It makes more sense that way.

Well said

Upvote 0
Well said but besides the main point.
Most players don't have the patience to wait for a full server, including me as my gaming times are limited. So this mod might die more early then it should.

I do understand the choice of the team, they dont want to limit themselves too much on an artistic level. A good choice from that perspective, go for it !
Let's hope it all works out well, time will tell.

Monk.

Upvote 0
It's something i've been working hard on, if nothing else we should have a dedicated core of clans who play in tournaments but I will personally be encouraging people to play and trying to bring in pubbers from other communities. In the months after DH is released expected a clan tournament with prizes and also a similar idea for custom maps.

Upvote 0
Look, if Darkest Hour's content is strong enough, and provides a largely different and refreshing experience other than that of the normal Red Orchestra, I don't think there will be trouble with DH having players.

It's all about the content. If the mod has alot to offer that makes it feel like a separate game, people will flock to it. DH will probably almost have it's own little community, and that would be a perfectly good thing. I don't think of it as a "community split" so much as another choice people have when playing RO. The two should benefit one another.

Upvote 0
Look, if Darkest Hour's content is strong enough, and provides a largely different and refreshing experience other than that of the normal Red Orchestra, I don't think there will be trouble with DH having players.

It's all about the content. If the mod has alot to offer that makes it feel like a separate game, people will flock to it. DH will probably almost have it's own little community, and that would be a perfectly good thing. I don't think of it as a "community split" so much as another choice people have when playing RO. The two should benefit one another.

could not have put it better myself thank you hockey :D btw nice RnL update

Upvote 0

Anenas is right. I guess you could call it vision...or ambition :eek: The question is why integrate Darkest Hour when it can and will be so much more?

Upvote 0