• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour: Normandy 1944

time for that time again guys I know we have been quiet for a while but we are still hard at work and to Satisfy your thurst here is Another wonderful update i give you the Cruiser Tank Mk.VIII Cromwell Mk.IV :p:):)

cruisertankmkcj4.jpg

Upvote 0
True story about Cromwells near Normandy. Mate of mine's uncle was a commander of a Cromwell just around the time of Caen and their unit got buzzed a couple of times by P-51's - even to the point of being shot up by them, killing several crew.

This was despite several requests to the Americans that they sort their IFF issues the feck out and tell their guys that not all allied tanks were Shermans. So the unofficial word came out from the company commander, "Next time you see a yank plane come within range, shoot the b*stard down."

Plus ca change, eh?

BTW - what LOD is the model for that render?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
True story about Cromwells near Normandy. Mate of mine's uncle was a commander of a Cromwell just around the time of Caen and their unit got buzzed a couple of times by P-51's - even to the point of being shot up by them, killing several crew.

This was despite several requests to the Americans that they sort their IFF issues the feck out and tell their guys that not all allied tanks were Shermans. So the unofficial word came out from the company commander, "Next time you see a yank plane come within range, shoot the b*stard down."

Plus ca change, eh?

BTW - what LOD is the model for that render?

Sounds about right :D

When the Germans bombed the British ducked.
When the British bombed the Germans ducked.
When the Americans bombed every bas**rd ducked!

Upvote 0
When the Germans bombed the British ducked.
When the British bombed the Germans ducked.
When the Americans bombed every bas**rd ducked!
But the Normandy bocage made manoeuvring impossible, and the poor armament and thin armour of the Sherman and Cromwell led to massive losses as columns of armour were funnelled into the sights of the German Panthers and anti-tank guns. The Allies were forced to rely increasingly on their excellent artillery and on massive air bombardment (which frequently hit the Allied troops as well - the Canadians in particular were hit by US bombers so often that they began shooting them down).
Some things never change. :)

BTW, can some one please point me to not so ugly British tank? Did such things exist at all??

Upvote 0
Makhno im sure Tman can answer your LOD question, but but it will be the right tri count for RO vehicles we dont make hi res models and scale them down for DH its a waste of time (not that i think thats what u were saying)...

@ Bolt...i like the brit tanks lol...ugly sure, but they have a certain charm. the matilda was quite a pretty tank i guess, function over form however is probably the best way to look at brit tanks.

Upvote 0
Erm - no, I actually did mean LOD but, then again, I am not sure if LOD for vehicle models is even an option in standard RO, so ignore me.

Not sure about the ugliness of the Brit tanks being a triumph of function over form. Surely, by this point the Brits had at least HEARD OF the advantages of sloping armour, yet we continued to churn out shoeboxes with rivets for decoration.:confused:

Upvote 0