• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour mod or Tripwire's own Expansion to '44-'45

MEGADETHTHRETH

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
In an interview with big download the lads from tripwire said that they chose the pacific theatre for the new joint effort mod, Rising Storm, and that's great that that is happening but, I would also love to see a 44 - 45 mod coming out, I would pay anything for it, just to see the King Tiger, Jagdpanther, Jagdtiger etc.
That is one reason I play Darkest Hour so much is because the tank battles are excellent and the combined arms maps such as stumont are fantastic and they make you feel as if you are there.
Tripwire said that the Normandy scene has been done to death and that is true, but not in Red Orchestra's iconic style of gameplay.
Quite honestly tripwire, all the campaigns have been done now by Call of duty and Medal of honor. Pacific, Russia, Normandy, Africa, but they were arcadey games, playing red orchestra /darkest hour is a totally different thing than them, There was no realistic tanks or at guns to get to grips with in them games, its just totally different and thats why I would love to see a darkest Hour 2 mod for ROHOS, or just tripwires expansion.
Whatever, I would really love to see what europe looks like in ue3, along with the hummels and nashorns, tigers, jagpanthers etc. I am sure that there is a lot of members here who would still LOVE to see Tripwire give us a 1944 - 45 mod/expansion.
Also, A mare nostrum mod would be cool, but a darkest hour one is a must PLEASE.:)
YouTube - Jagdpanther WTS moving on training groud
YouTube - "The Roar of the Tiger" Maybach Engine

Last edited:
If HOS is priced normally for a game ($29.99 to $49.99), then I don't think that split will occur again. A lot of people, particularly from the Day of Defeat: Source community, were introduced to DH when there were beginning to be somewhat frequent free weekends and sales after the release of DH 3.0, and thus probably did not feel obligated to play Ostfront because it was so cheap.

Upvote 0
Hopefully there won't be any DH mod for HOS. DH split the RO player base and I haven't been able to play RO since then. RO became Danzig 24/7. So it's either Danzig 24/7 or DH "We like to play terrible maps and wank about how we're driving around in King Tigers and stacking the German team." Fun times.

Much anger! I wonder if you have the same feeling about RS's inclusion?

DH was very welcomed in eyes, helped me get away from Danzig 24/7 :D

Upvote 0
Hopefully there won't be any DH mod for HOS. DH split the RO player base and I haven't been able to play RO since then. RO became Danzig 24/7. So it's either Danzig 24/7 or DH "We like to play terrible maps and wank about how we're driving around in King Tigers and stacking the German team." Fun times.
Kipper, I can see where your coming from and I feel you, not literally, but I know what you mean.
BUT, if Red Orchestra 2 is marketed really well and loads of people know about it and buy it, then we won't have to worry about danzig 24/7 ever again or whatever the equivalent of that in RO2 will be.
Of course Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45 was tripwires first game with a small budget of 1 trillion dollars...or was it 1 million, anyway, this time around they have a reputation and people know them and the game will reach new audiences of people, so I am sure you will have plenty of people to play with....in the game and all the mods.:D

Upvote 0
Would be nice, but we only need so many mods.

Right now, we are getting the Pacific, and if the other teams come through, a WWI and Vietnam War mod.

I'd rather have other modders combine efforts, and actually released something that is worth playing.

But, if a team does make a mod for it, I'd download it for sure.

Upvote 0
imo, the DH team should have started porting over their mod to work with the new engine that HOS will use a LONG time ago.....instead they busted their butts to bring us an update with (drumroll please..........)

mantling, c96, a couple mediocre maps, and some bugfixes......wooohooo. while nice, seemed like a wasted effort to me :rolleyes:

no need for a "DH2". just port the game over to be a mod for ROHOS and take advantage of the benefits a new engine will introduce. keep the name "Darkest Hour: Europe 44-45" and those who currently play it would most likely follow it as it continues with the RO "franchise". most importantly, it'd bring more attention to ROHOS and the other mods the game will have. with all the new players that will be joining the RO community, the mods for HOS should have much less trouble attracting players than the mods for ROOST did, especially if the mods are released before the "mothergame" has passed it's peak. ;)

with Rising Storm, Iron Europe, In Country, and the addition of Darkest Hour, that'd have 4 mods for ROHOS and should be plenty to keep people occupied. let's just hope we won't see community splits like we did with ROOST and it's mods.

Reactions: Olivier
Upvote 0
Nezzer the Jumbo Sherman is not an official tank. We're fully aware of the angst that it causes some players, but it's the work of another group of modders and has nothing to do with us.

bswearer, you can't just port UE2 to UE3. Moreso that you can't port an RO mod to a HoS mod, as I guarantee you that the entire parent code structure will be completely different, moreso than the engine base change. i.e. DH's code would require huge changes just to compile. It would be easier (and better, trust me on this) to simply start from scratch. As far as existing weapon models and textures, there's little point other than as placeholders. The poly counts on models are too low and the texture resolutions are also too low. They were designed for an old engine and if you try to use them in a newer engine, they'll look like arse frankly.

Regarding a DH2, there will definitely be something from the team, but whether it's a HoS mod or something else can only be speculated upon at this point. I will likely not be involved with a sequel personally, so I'm not really privy to the musings of the team and even if I were, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to discuss them anyhow. :)

Upvote 0
imo, the DH team should have started porting over their mod to work with the new engine that HOS will use a LONG time ago.....instead they busted their butts to bring us an update with (drumroll please..........)

mantling, c96, a couple mediocre maps, and some bugfixes......wooohooo. while nice, seemed like a wasted effort to me :rolleyes:

no need for a "DH2". just port the game over to be a mod for ROHOS and take advantage of the benefits a new engine will introduce. keep the name "Darkest Hour: Europe 44-45" and those who currently play it would most likely follow it as it continues with the RO "franchise". most importantly, it'd bring more attention to ROHOS and the other mods the game will have. with all the new players that will be joining the RO community, the mods for HOS should have much less trouble attracting players than the mods for ROOST did, especially if the mods are released before the "mothergame" has passed it's peak. ;)

I disagree.

It's great that they keep updating DH. Lots of people still play it, so it's good for the community and equally rewarding for the developers. Frequent releases and player feedback are the best way to keep a mod community healthy.

DH is not really my cup of tea, but if they keep giving their playerbase what they want then it's not a "wasted effort".

Upvote 0

Rofl, what are you talking about. I just checked and there's like 3 full 50 player servers (non Danzig) and a couple 80% full 32 player servers (not Danzig).

Upvote 0
I disagree.

It's great that they keep updating DH. Lots of people still play it, so it's good for the community and equally rewarding for the developers. Frequent releases and player feedback are the best way to keep a mod community healthy.

DH is not really my cup of tea, but if they keep giving their playerbase what they want then it's not a "wasted effort".

don't get me wrong, from certain persepctives, i agree with you that it's great they've been updating. those who play the game alot are pleased. the updates (although they really aren't "frequent" anymore) did provide some reason for more people to give it a try. if i was a diehard DH player, i'd be thrilled to see my favorite game is still being worked on and it would encourage me to keep playing. if i was a dev i'd be happy to see people appreciate my work.

what i'm looking at is more the future life of DH and what would be best for creating longterm growth.

healthy isn't really the word i would have used to describe the DH community. from the outside looking in, which is my perspective, it's pretty far from what i'd consider to be "healthy". sure there's some clans and units, but there's no legitimate competitive community as there's no campaigns, tournaments or even scrims that appear to be happening (aside from intersquad 29th stuff, which really doesn't count). as many have pointed out, there's very few servers that stay populated (which sure RO is the same way these days), and almost everything that is done revolves around only certain "groups" within the overall community. the community and game is stagnant. it's to the point where we're simply not going to see anything really change.

also, "lots" isn't exactly the word i'd used to describe the amount of players. aside from the one day when the recent patch was released, it's gotten a daily peak of over 400 maybe 4 more times over the course of this past year. on average, the daily numbers count for only a small fraction of those playing RO (and its mods).

fact is, nothing will dramatically change for DH before/after the eventual release of ROHOS. well, actually yes there will be something dramatic, but that will be when DH eventually dies off. the RO mod died when ROOST was released. when ROHOS is out, ROOST and its mods won't last long because people move on. i'm not trying to preach "doom and gloom" but reality. that's why i commented that if the DH team is looking for longterm growth, they should have instead put the large majority of their time into looking at porting their work to continue as a mod for HOS.

sure the update was great for the current community, but it isn't going to have any real effect on creating longterm growth. who knows, maybe they have been working on a port? maybe it's planned for the future and this might be the last update for the mod (at least as an ROOST mod). only time will tell.

Upvote 0
I hope darkest hour follows over, it doesn't split player base really most DH players play RO as well.

And it will give the game more appeal, I know USA is big market but the rest of us like to get the chance to fight in the uniforms and weapons of our own forces plus it opens up more maps and varied weapons hope they include an african compain in as well as there were some good fights over there.

Upvote 0