• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour 3.0 out Tonight!

I played around for half an hour. The content is really polished, weapons, tanks and models are pretty good. Maps look great as well. Almost on par or better than RO content with some exceptions in sound department. Props to DH devs for their quality work.

My problem is maps don't play so good. On Wach Am Rhein, our team(allied) just got steamrolled by Axis, thanks to their respawning "ownage machine" King Tiger. There's just nothing to do against it. Usual replys will suggest "you must use teamwork Luke", but teamwork is non existant in Public.

Then on Carentan, our team(allies of course, because axis is always stacked by strange tagged wannabe's) couldn't even cap one objective because we got raped by MG's. The map is quite linear, entrances to the town and objectives are very clear, and the most important is we didn't have a sniper while the Axis did. Thus they could keep taking out our MG's while exceptionally protecting theirs.

Then moving on to, Raid. This was rather more balanced and we could cap one objective before the timer ran out. Mh.

Hill 108, the map I raged. While we were losing time capping an empty objective, Axis are allowed to take positions for some meatgrinding. After we capped, the whole team got owned after springing out of the bushes in the middle. It was obvious they knew where we were, but we had no idea where they were around on that huge hill. They were even shooting into the bushes wildly so we were "spawn supressed". Flanking was not a successful choice, because I had to run hundreds of meters in the open before Axis players' eyes. I also got stuck in some places, especially at the trench static meshes. But the map does look wonderful.

So it was more of a frustration than joy for the first try. I hope I'll get a better impression next time :)

Upvote 0
Downloaded and tried, I must say very nice look and feel.

I like the suppression effects, very well done, although in some cases I got the suppression effects from friendlies standing beside me firing at the enemy. In those cases, I feel I wouldn't be quite so twitchy :p

Some maps ran out of reinforcement on both sides quite early into the battles...

Some of the areas where players spawn (behind sheds etc) are good, but in many cases players immediately come under fire when they go left or right. Great that players quickly get into action, but in general, it leaves them with very little option except to run and pray they get to cover in time, or crawl out of the spawn locations....

I like the fact that it is very difficult, almost to the point of frustration, and the fact that you really need teamwork to play.

So far, just those issues I commented on might be a problem if I am nitpicky, and I am sure some will probably be addressed, but I must say, a very nice job overall!!! :D

(I will have to post better more indepth comments over at the DH forums)

Upvote 0
The new maps are OK. For the most part they look kind of bland. For all the french houses that exist in every level I would think you could make some custom textures for them so they look less like Stock RO.

Gameplay on most maps needs improvement as well. Brecourt is kind of silly. Me and the other MG on axis had a field day. There is no real cover and once you find the sweet spot you can just burst fire into the bushes and kill the Americans as they leave spawn without even seeing them.

Upvote 0
I learned right here that you do not leave the jeep when in motion:

rojeepride.jpg

Upvote 0
I like it so far, but IMO the team should focus more on polishing and bug fixes rather than new content for now, there are a lot of little details that while they are not game breaking, they make the overall thing look a bit cheap or non-profesional, I think there are also some issues with hitboxes or hit detection, not sure about that, but I feel is much harder to hit people here than in stock RO.

please take this as a constructive criticism, I'm not trying to bash the mod in any way, and I'd like to congratulate you for the work done so far.

Upvote 0
DH uses stock RO player hit detection. Lag can cause the impression that hits aren't registering. This is client side/server related. I was certainly killing (and getting killed) as much as usual when playing infantry.

A hotfix is in the works for the major map bugs. It will automatically update your DH build through Steam.

@Kipper: oh...nevermind.

Upvote 0