damage from shrapnel

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

damage from shrapnel

• I like it, makes it more real

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • No its a game, unreal is better

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Does not matter to me

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters

nate

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 24, 2005
getting damage from shrapnel such as a nad hits about 10 feet away, you dont get damaged from the nad but from a nearby helmet that your teammate was wearing that was shot off, or a gun that some had.

also if a tank explodes, parts fly off and hit nearby enemys or teammates, or they could be 40 feet away and a small metal chunk of the tank hits them, depending on where it hits would it kill him or damage him.

such items as rocks and other debris on the gound. flying out dealing small damage. also dead bodys hit by nads should deal damage.

having the ablility to pick up and throw rocks would be neat.

nate

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 24, 2005
Nyu knows exatly what im saying, its like in CSS where if u throw a NAD at some one it deals like 2 or 1 dmg. it could make a diffence in life and death, like once i threw a flash as some one ran out in dust in long A, and i nailed him in the chest and he died, a big Flash icon appeared as the kill.

nate

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 24, 2005
and the phis will be that good, it will be just like source, if a nad hits a car tire then you, the tire will deal dmg

Bobdog

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Texas
I believe there already are individual pieces of shrapnel modeled; that's why you'll sometimes die from a grenade that is pretty far away. You're unlucky enough to get caught by a piece of shrapnel

Xendance

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Elitist Prick Club RS Branch
BobdogG5 said:
I believe there already are individual pieces of shrapnel modeled; that's why you'll sometimes die from a grenade that is pretty far away. You're unlucky enough to get caught by a piece of shrapnel

^
|
|
|

See? There already are sharpnel projectiles.

Nyu

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
www.panzergrenadiers.com
uh, it's been awhile since i've played ro but i really don't remember seeing a rock flying from a nade explosion thirty yards away flying and killing me.

Fu. Svedberg

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Sweden
You normally don't see the pieces of shrapnel flying off from a exploding grenade IRL atleast not if they have enough energy to hurt you.

In the current version of RO (3.3) the hand grenades have shrapnel dmg modeled you just don't see the shrapnel to save some preformance.

Blitz-Hawk

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Somewhere in Canada
It might be interesting to even see shrapnel from gunshots. For example if you were standing very neara wall and someone shooting at you gets a near miss, launching debris from the wall into your arm. Not that it would really do too much damage, but maybe just making your character flinch and have the view blur for a split second.

Zell

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Maine, USA
I dunno, that would hurt quite a lot, it would probably puncture the skin and tear into the muscle or something.

And please, nate, they're NADES or GRENADES, not NADS. Nads is slang for testicles. That extra 'e' can make all the difference. :D

FYROM

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Georgia Tech
I don't know, all of this sounds pretty calculation-intensive, simply for tiny amounts of random damage. Although I could see shrapnel damage coming off a tank, maybe have the ammo cook off and behave like small grenade blasts.

SgtH3nry3

FNG / Fresh Meat
Yes but is it possible for the Karma physics engine to do things which sounds more like Havok's duty like those physics in Max Payne 2 and Half-Life 2???

It would seem virtually impossible, but in the Unreal Engine 3.0 it would be really possible.

Amizaur

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 18, 2006
Gdansk, Poland

Then please model them inside of tanks also (for rounds penetrating the armor) :p

kabex

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 27, 2006
Mexico
Infiltration for UT99 had an awesome shrapnel system. If anybody has played it, it'd be nice if RO:OST had something similar but alas, it's just a dream and it's not gonna happen for a lot of reasons(primarily server overload, one single frag blowing up slows down my listen server a lil' bit).

Also, frag grenades(F1s) don't harm you from 2 meters away. I just tried this a few hours ago, take a grenade, aim as high as possible(looking at the sky, move your mouse as far up as possible) throw the grenade with a charged throw(far as possible) and it will land ~2 meters in front of you. First explosion will not kill you, nor harm you. You'll have to throw another one to die.