• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

D-Day Sale!

Blood work huh? I considered careers in science back when I was still in high school, but I went down a different path. I work in a different kind of lab, and although chemistry and big expensive machinery is involved, it's not quite what you might have thought. I'm in digital photo imaging. I've done everything from film processing, analogue and digital photo chemical printing, mini lab machine maintenance, camera and hardware sales, and my favorite....image manipulation and restoration. It's a small place, but I'm looking into getting into something bigger. I've already done work in a few other related areas, such as commercial (albeit relatively low budget compared to some of the other businesses I've apprenticed at) product photos and image work for advertising. I recently shot photos of condos for a real estate agent. I'm hoping to get into the print side of things though...such as an offset lithography printing press operation like what they have at major newspapers and magazine publications. Either that or maybe large format photo digital printing....they print on giant rolls of light sensitive photo paper that are a couple of meters wide and often hundreds or even thousands of meters long. I've seen the machinery that they use...it's worth several million dollars. They can fire off thousands of smaller photos this way, or take gigantic billboard ad sized photos and print them out as a series of long strips about a meter and a half wide. Much easier that way than trying to mount the photo as a single piece of paper...can you imagine just a couple of billboard workers trying to hang up an image 6 x 18 meters in size?

Now, onto the good stuff.

As for the CD key, I'll send it to you in an email...be sure to let me know if it works. I think all you need to do is go into steam and under the games menu at the top of the window, click on "activate a product on steam"

Monkeyfarmer

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, Steam may recognize the ip as being out of Germany allowing the uncensored version to be transferred.

Can someone confirm this? :confused:

That way if you live outside of Germany and gift it to someone in Germany, the ip will tell Steam that it needs to send the censored version so it doesn't interfere with the law.

The uncensored version of Red Orchestra is not on the index in Germany.
By the way, you need to be at least 18 to buy RO through Steam, so this censoring only is to annoy adults.
Only during free trial weekend German players(also those that are not at least 18) are able to play the uncensored version. So obviously the uncensored version does not interfere with the law.

Upvote 0
Well hmm...... I look at samples under a microscope and it's like a picture that moves around.... sort of lol! But, yeah, the cd-key worked pefectly and now I can relive my glory days of being killed for charging w/ my bayonet at a machinegunner lol! Thanks for everything and I hope I see you on the Battlefield ;)!

Upvote 0
Well, Steam may recognize the ip as being out of Germany allowing the uncensored version to be transferred.

Can someone confirm this? And is it possible in this way to play a the uncensored version in Germany, if I use the steam account that recieved the gift? :confused:

That way if you live outside of Germany and gift it to someone in Germany, the ip will tell Steam that it needs to send the censored version so it doesn't interfere with the law.

By the way, you need to be at least 18 to buy RO through Steam, so this censoring only is to annoy adults.
Only during free trial weekend German players(also those that are not at least 18) are able to play the uncensored version. So obviously the uncensored version does not interfere with the law.

Upvote 0
It is not "indexed" BECAUSE we only did a reduced version - the full-gore version is not officially on sale in Germany. And we asked the question directly of the relevant German authorities and were required to reduce it.

And don't start off on this one again - it will get tedious. We produced what the German authorities required of us. If the people living in Germany don't like that, then lobby the relevant governmental authorities - NOT Tripwire!

Upvote 0
Can someone confirm this? And is it possible in this way to play a the uncensored version in Germany, if I use the steam account that recieved the gift? :confused:

After some tests I've seen that the IP doesn't matter. It matters the address from the CC if you bought it over steam.

I've bought mine with a german cc and it is censured. I've loged in with someones else account not from germany and i had it "uncut".

P.S. living in Germany.

Upvote 0
It is not "indexed" BECAUSE we only did a reduced version - the full-gore version is not officially on sale in Germany.

But it is available for free during free trial weekend even for those that are normally excluded from buying RO through Steam because they are not at least 18. Am I the only one that thinks this is inconsistent and not very fair towards those who after purchasing RO experience thier game is censored? A game by the way that focuses on realism.

And we asked the question directly of the relevant German authorities and were required to reduce it.

But not for adults. Other companies release additional "USK 18" versions because of that. Even the notorious EA does that. And because it is not possible for customers that are not at least 18 to buy RO through Steam there is no need to only sell a censored "USK16" version on Steam and no uncensored "USK18" version. In fact there are many "USK18" games available on Steam.

And don't start off on this one again - it will get tedious.
I don't think it is helpful for your company to deal with customers in this way.
May be you have overlooked my question:
I only want to know if it is possible to get a uncensored version of RO by gifting it to a non-German Steam account.
If you are afraid of the German authorities, you can send me a PM with the answer.

We produced what the German authorities required of us. If the people living in Germany don't like that, then lobby the relevant governmental authorities - NOT Tripwire!

The German authorities don't require you to censor game versions only available for adults.
If it is possible for everybody to play the uncensored version of RO for free, why don't you allow this for adults that bought it through Steam?

Upvote 0
as he said, dont start it again (or at least do it in another thread). i think the "18"-restriction applies to advertisement mainly. they wouldnt be allowed to offer the game in public (advertisement in steam included) when it was indexed (which it would be if they had full gore and swastikas enabled in the german version)

Upvote 0
Steam does not allow for 2 versions of the same game for sale in a set regeon. No age verification is available on steam. Thus no "adult only" indexed version would be available. And the game being uncut during the free week sounds like a bug on valves end. It certainly wasn't something TWI did.

Now back on topic like Alan said. TWI has discussed this many times and doesn't need to do it again. Use the search button.

Upvote 0
Steam does not allow for 2 versions of the same game for sale in a set regeon. No age verification is available on steam. Thus no "adult only" indexed version would be available. And the game being uncut during the free week sounds like a bug on valves end. It certainly wasn't something TWI did.

May be I did not mention this often enough before: When you buy a game at Steam with CC/PayPal/Click&Buy, you have to be at least 18. So there already is an age verification. That's why Steam is able to sell "USK18" games in Germany.
If you are 16-18 you cannot buy RO through Steam, not even the censored "USK16" version. The contradiction is obvious.

Now back on topic like Alan said. TWI has discussed this many times and doesn't need to do it again. Use the search button.

My question is on topic. May be you have overlooked it too:
I want to know if it is possible to get a uncensored version of RO by gifting it to a non-German Steam account.

Upvote 0
No idea, would be a question to ask valve. TWI did as it was told by it's legal adviser and German authorities (Think they will tend to trust those people over you, and TWI will probably never comment on any possible ways to bypass the censor as it will probably get them in trouble). Take it up with them if you have an issue. Use search, it is your friend.

Upvote 0
I think (but I'll have to check) that Steam goes by your IP - but I will need to check with someone more technical than me.

On the topic of different versions: we would rather more people get to play the game than have more gore/less players in Germany. It was considered "debateable" whether or not we would be "indexed" in Germany for producing the full-gore version and going with an 18 rating. We weren't going to enter into "debates" with the authorities after release so we took the safe option. And, as Yoshi said, only one version (we don't have the wherwithall to mess with more than one version anyway). Sorry, but thats the way it is! Just get lobbying the German authorities to come into line with the rest of Europe and stop them being a pain in the *** :)

Upvote 0
I tried that with my store bought version of COD4 and it did not work.

I guess because the store version is not a STEAM game even though the game is available through STEAM?

Or did I do it wrong maybe?

Most 3rd party games do not allow for this, the publishers have to work it out with Valve (Such as they did with Prey). However since RO is tied to steam anyway, it works like any other valve game in that you can just drop in the cd key.

Upvote 0