• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Custom map downloading

Well whenever a workshop item updates the client gets the update. If they are subscribed to it.

They may do it in a way to make it easier for server operators to update maps. Maybe something like having the workshop ID in the command line so every time the server updates it downloads the latest version.

But there's still the issue of somebody not being subscribed to a server with a custom map and having to download it.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2294886 said:
there's still the issue of somebody not being subscribed

Herein lies the problem. Only a small proportion of players will bother going the extra mile to subscribe. It was difficult enough getting players to wait a few minutes to download custom maps from a redirect.

Ask a RO2 server admin about player drop off from custom map downloading. Sure after a while enough players will have a custom map and drop isnt that noticeable, but I would have hoped a better system was under consideration after the RO2 experience.

What about a TWI / Anti-matter Games run Steam Workshop group that players were automatically subscribed to when they installed the game and the developer managed what maps were in that group. Or wait, the devs just use steam updates with custom maps that are deemed to be of a certain standard.

Plenty of mappers turned away from doing work on RO2 content because of the map download handling. The map competitions were great but they were too few and far between.

Upvote 0
No mapper turned away because of the redirect download times lol.

A lot of people use the steam workshop nowadays compared to a few years ago. Not to mention RO2 didn't even have workshop support for ages. Mainly due to releasing before steam workshop was even a thing.

Plus, and this is more specific to Cat's server, a lot of people have much much faster internet than they had before. New Zealand for example. 2012. Almost nobody had fibre connections. 2017. Almost everyone does or at least has access to it. Australia is catching up in that regard too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If there is workshop for server support that means:
- easy way to maintain updated map for server owner (auto update)
- easy way for people to download custom content (when not subscribed to it, they will download from workshop COMPRESSED files because steam comprsses everything during download)
- easy way for server owners to make collections they can advertise in welcome screen URL, this way people can be always up to date for the custom content server runs
- people who subscribe to maps or collections will always be up to date

I hope they do not go the lazy way like for KF2 where there is nothing to manage workshop content from webadmin (and so where you need to stop server, add workshop items ID to config file, restart server, check when it has finished download, then stop server, then find the map file name in newly created folder in server cache folder, then add it to config file again for it to appear in webadmin, then restart server, then add it to map cycle => this is really a pain in the ***, for me a half working system so I hope they improve that). There is a mutator/mod for KF 2 that allow server admins to manage workshop content directly in webadmin they should add this to KF 2 and RS 2 as soon as possible.. because currently it is half support for me.. not good enough (and there is also this bug where it says workshop item is up to date when it is not so you have to find out by yourself when people got 'mismatch' or 'fail opening the file' error, then you have to manually fix the server with painfull procedure..)

RO 2 suffered from poor custom content support, and poor workshop support too (file size limitationo on workshop, no compression available for redirect,.....). Now workshop support should be better so hope for the best.

edit PS: and with the REAL LACK OF MAPS (seriously is this a joke? 3 TE maps playable on 64 slots server) from the release, sure custom content will be a thing for RS 2 lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO2 has a lot of custom maps. There's about 60 custom maps that I consider pretty much finished. For RO2 and RS. Majority of them aren't kn the workshop. Half of them aren't even on this forum. A lot of these custom mappers for reasons completely unkown (and probably completely irrational) they are hidden away on various clan websites and such. And they aren't little clan maps. These are proper 64 player fleshed out TE maps. That they didn't decide to share.

Anf mg I keep finding new ones. How I find them is I see a server on a map I've never seen before. A server that's full might I add. I search for the origins of said map and it might end up being on some german gaming forum. And that's the only place it exists. Yet people all waited around to download that map.

You are going to get custom maps Withen the first month easy.

Upvote 0
With regard to custom map downloading, TWI currently has a mirrored custom map redirect server on both sides of the pond according to info I've gotten from folks on the staff. That's the one we use for Crucible. Unless there is a capacity issue, (I doubt it) I can't imagine why RS2 creations couldn't be parked there as well. While it's true that the game servers between RO2 and RS2 are different, the redirect server situation and behavior should be similar. The server is fast and folks in North America and Western Europe should have little issue with download speed as long as your broadband is up to snuff. I can't tell you what TWI's plans might be for storage in this regard, it's up to them, but I don't think it need be a problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0