• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Current Roleselection system

I have a pretty good machine, with a RAID hard drive array, means I am (most of the time) first or 2nd in. More often than not though, I will chose SMG or rifle over the sniper. I just prefer them, even though on the urban maps like odessa I am quite good at snipeing. Maybe I should start taking the sniper and giving it up a few mins into the match, so someone else can get it?

Upvote 0
Yeah, really, this is much ado about nothing. The bolties ARE good weapons, and the game IS designed to be a first come, first serve class system. It has, at least as long as I've been playing it (3.0 in the mod), always been this way. You won't get the sniper rifle, the MG, the SVT, an SMG, Squad Leader, or the anti-tank class all the time. Hell, you may ALWAYS be stuck with at least on the start of a round) a bolt action rifle.

But (a) you can pick up something else from a fallen comrade, or (b) you can use the bolties to great effect. And what's more, usually the guys on the other team are in the exact same position as you. So yeah, you're "stuck" with a boltie, but so is half the other team as well. Pick your fights, support your teammates, and you can still do perfectly well in a round.

Upvote 0
^^ Exactly. Life's unfair, but adding a lottery system won't change that.

And no, RO is perfectly playable on dial up. I've done it, I just had to lead people more.

Don't like the bolt action? Get over it, and learn to shoot.

Sounds callous, but it's the truth.

Hehe
Life is unfair is ok untill the point when life is unfair against you... :D
For example if we get a lottery system or a point system like BF has...

Remind me to say the same to you if this **** hits the fan :D

Sounds callous, but it's the truth.
Respect u snake, but u do sound abit harsh sometimes haha
---------------------------------------------
I found an alternative system that can be integrated on future maps:

WEAPON CRATES:

1) Initial class selection change:
On the initial class selection you can choose between a) Tank crew
b) Tank commander - PIstol
c) Commander - SMG
d) Infantry - Bolt action.

2) Select weapon from a crate:
As the game starts you must select a weapon from a weapons crate at spawn and then get a list/menu over available/not avail weapons for your selected class.

a) tank crew - may only select pistols
b) tank commanders - only pistol or SMG
c) Commander - All except sniper and MG.
d) Infantry - All classes

3) Maximum active weapon limit:
To Avoid "5" players running around with MG's you can set a maximum active weapons limit. Once example 1 MG has been selected, an the menu will say "not available".

4) Weapon Stock limitation:
This system makes is possible to have a maximum spawn on rare weapons.
IE The MG may only spawn 10 times in the crate, and after that, nobody can select it anymore.
This will make you take good care of the rare weapons. (hopefully)

5) What does weapon crates fix?
Adding weapon crates at the beginning of the round will:
a) Prevent those with hi-end computer to domminate weapon selection.
b) When you die, it is possible for somebody else to grab your weapon before you from the crate:
c) With limited weapons and the fact that you loose your weapon when u die will naturally increase the fear of death.....

Upvote 0
On my new rig, I'm always first in and I'd happily see this system implemented. After all, I'll still have my 20" widescreen to shoot people at long ranges with bolt action :D

Although if I do get the sniper class especially, I tend to give it up after one round. I miss my good old bayo too much.

No, not rich, just stupid.

Upvote 0
Personally, 75% of the time i'm stuck with a bolt action rifle.

I'd love to see a system that gives the low-end machine players the chance to play with the uber weapons...

And to the people who think your computer speed should dictate class, learn to share hosebags.

There are no "uber" weapons in the game, the gun is as good as you make it.

Upvote 0
I can support my team with any weapon. Thing is i want to support it with something other then a bolt action rifle sometimes...

This problem has never crossed my mind before, (because I have a top end rig and get first choice) But with this thread, I can now appreciate that some of the other players out there, do not get the option of ever playing with some of the classes that I get a free choice of.

Maus, I dont think I have ever seen you in game anytime before, but if you ever see me on the same server, ask me to swap weapons some time and I will do so. I do often choose the bolt action anyway because I like it, but if I have anything different, I will swap with you to give you an opportunity with a different class.

That offer goes to anyone, if you see me in game, ask me if I will be willing to swap. If you are polite and decent I will definately consider it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Stick close with other players and wait for them to get killed, and in the meantime use the bolts. I use the bolts frequently and I quite like them. Also, periodically check the classes. People shift around, leave a map, etc. all the time, so this talk of "We need to make it even at the start" really doesn't seem like anywhere near the big deal some people make it out to be.

As I said, you can't always get what you want, but you get what you need.

Upvote 0