• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crytek high res video

The rise of physics is just amazing, from 1998 (Trespasser) to 2001 (Mafia) to 2003 (Max Payne 2) to 2004 (Half-Life 2) to eventually 2005 (NovodeX, CryEngine 2, ODE, etc) those huge leaps in physics were following eachother rapidly.

To eventually from pre-create destruction (Red Faction) to real-time full-scene dynamic destruction were the differences between materials can be noticed and falling debree which can fall upon another (piece of) wall to create even more debree is getting standard now.

Totally destructible cities, particle physics, metal bending, meta-ball fluid/gas simulation are all going to be overhyped but these can actually change gameplay to a level which makes arcade games somewhat realistic.

I love it! :D

CrySis will be a great game... 1 large streaming map + day-and-night shifts + (improved) FarCry gameplay + next-gen physics + next-gen graphics = t3h r0xx0r.

CryTek will definately make it! :D

Upvote 0
SgtH3nry3 said:
The rise of physics is just amazing, from 1998 (Trespasser) to 2001 (Mafia) to 2003 (Max Payne 2) to 2004 (Half-Life 2) to eventually 2005 (NovodeX, CryEngine 2, ODE, etc) those huge leaps in physics were following eachother rapidly.

To eventually from pre-create destruction (Red Faction) to real-time full-scene dynamic destruction were the differences between materials can be noticed and falling debree which can fall upon another (piece of) wall to create even more debree is getting standard now.

Totally destructible cities, particle physics, metal bending, meta-ball fluid/gas simulation are all going to be overhyped but these can actually change gameplay to a level which makes arcade games somewhat realistic.

I love it! :D

CrySis will be a great game... 1 large streaming map + day-and-night shifts + (improved) FarCry gameplay + next-gen physics + next-gen graphics = t3h r0xx0r.

CryTek will definately make it! :D

I think you should calm down a bit dude :)

Even the first gen. PPU (that should come soon) will "only" be able to handle a couple of thousands physics objects at once (what I have read it is less then 5000 probably between 1000-2000 objects at once (well actually thats pretty much compared to the current tech that tops out at ~60 object)).
So with these preliminary numbers there's still a long way to a wall entierly following the laws of physics when getting blown up :rolleyes:

But remember what i wrote here is only speculations spread around the computer sites and magazines but to me they seem reasonable :)

Upvote 0
Jaesperson said:
go out, have a life, blow something up... oh wait.. :eek:
True! :D
Fu. Svedberg said:
I think you should calm down a bit dude :)

Even the first gen. PPU (that should come soon) will "only" be able to handle a couple of thousands physics objects at once (what I have read it is less then 5000 probably between 1000-2000 objects at once (well actually thats pretty much compared to the current tech that tops out at ~60 object)).
So with these preliminary numbers there's still a long way to a wall entierly following the laws of physics when getting blown up :rolleyes:

But remember what i wrote here is only speculations spread around the computer sites and magazines but to me they seem reasonable :)
Yes and those physics based on CPU General Computing power are JIT physics and not real-time like the Ageia PhysX chip does.

It doesn't sound that much more, but it really is.
And objects... Well you must mean interactions. ;)

Mostly you can trust PC mags, but sometimes they just write bullsh*t stories/fantasies.

The only thing which bothers me is that PhysX PPU is built on the 130nm procede... If that was either 90nm or 65nm it could have been cheaper, better and more successful.

Upvote 0
Yeah but keep in mind what we will see soon is just the first gen. PPUs :)

After that we will probably have to upgrade PPUs every 4 month to stay on top just as it is (more was) with the GPUs/VPUs :p

My wallet is allready screaming and I'm seriously concidering to just take a crap on all what PPUs are called untill the day the games require one (hopefully I will have stpped playing computer games by then)

Upvote 0
Fu. Svedberg said:
Yeah but keep in mind what we will see soon is just the first gen. PPUs :)

After that we will probably have to upgrade PPUs every 4 month to stay on top just as it is (more was) with the GPUs/VPUs :p

My wallet is allready screaming and I'm seriously concidering to just take a crap on all what PPUs are called untill the day the games require one (hopefully I will have stpped playing computer games by then)
Yes unfortunately, you are right.

Maybe one day you might encounter things like insufficient PPU power, PhysX drivers which need to be updated multiple API's... (OpenPhys, DirectPU :eek:)

Doom is getting near!

But I hope they will go to a decent productionfab soon, 130nm is just to old, expensive, hot, big, etc.
90nm, 65nm or even 45nm PPU would r0xx0r...

Maybe it would shrink in price because it shouldn't need anymore coolers, it would have a smaller chip, better die, etc...
Stupid move Ageia... Don't let it happen again. ;)

Upvote 0