• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crysis Discussion Thread

For any other laptop users with an Nvidia card, specifically the m8xxx series. I found the best drivers to be the 167.26 from Laptopvideo2go.

Though some people (even ones with the same system as me) say that the new 169.01 are better but personally I get crap performance with them for some reason.

Oh btw the links are for the vista32 drivers but they should have XP drivers on the site as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Performance and visuals aside what do people think of the game itself?!

The guns and movement feel solid and there is plenty of tactical scope in how you play. From brute force to stealthing past or even good old fashioned "RUN AWAY!!!!".

The AI seemed ok but did odd things in places. For instance i was shooting a whole group of koreans and one of them on a mounted gun just flat out ignored me till i shot him (he was facing the wrong way).

The special visuals (like cloaking, gettin out of water, concussion) all add to the immersion and it has that in bucket loads. Being able to shoot the tyres out on veichles etc is a nice touch and destroying stuff with your bare hands is hours of fun!

I feel that the maps are a bit more restricted than farcry but the scope of them isnt. (ie you can still see a lot just not access it). If they could eek out another 10 fps so you didnt get horrible slow down when the fighting happens they would have a winner on their hands.

Upvote 0
Dunno, AI seemed dumb to me. Nothing spectacular. I've had more fun with Farcry mercenaries. They were smarter, used tactics and scared the **** out of me sometimes. These Koreans only do the shooting so far.

The beginning was great. Crysis has one of the best cinematic animations I've seen in a game so far. I'm a bit disappointed with the graphics though. They were much better and looked realistic in the videos and screens presented by them. I've got a 2900XT and it doesn't even come close to those screens at highest detail levels.

Anyway, I like the concept of Nano-Suit. It made the game "more beliveable" than Farcry, as seeing a guy taking bullets lasers head on with only a Hawaii shirt wasn't a good logic :) It's not practical though, because it takes time switching between suit modes and this puts you in some awkward situations. I tended to stick to Armor in combat for this reason.

As sprad said, the levels are linear compared to Farcry. I almost got bored with demo mission if there wasn't those awesome cinematics because firefights aren't satisfying enough.

Inclusion of ironsights is a big plus IMO. Now I just wonder the possibility of a WW2 or a modern combat reality mod for Crysis :)

Upvote 0
One of the best games i have ever played. Well, at least the best demo i have played :p

The immersion level exceeds anything i have played before. You really need to play this at full graphical whack to get the experience. The scope of the level and detail is immense. Its not just another game with good graphics, the graphics are the gameplay here. The combat is great also, its not realistic, but who gives a ****? Its tactical, weapons are satisfying and fun to use, the iron sights are great and the sound effects are top notch. Did you take notice of the canyon as you approached the end of the demo? The 3D bumped rocks on the floor really did it for me. I have never come across an environment in a game that felt as alive as this does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, I have an 805d and a 7600gt so I should have taken one look at the low/medium graphics and been disgusted by the pop in, low res textures and dodgy lighting. But I wasn't. This game delivers the fun in spades, and I can't believe it but game play saves the day for Crysis. Story seems semi-interesting too.

Playing on the regular difficulty I was starting to doubt. Delta difficulty is where it's at. I must have played through the demo like 6 times trying different approaches and using different abilities.

The stealth mode + silenced weapon is by far the easiest way to stay alive. Stealth-move-shoot-stealth and watch the koreans run over to your last location. Great fun and extremely believable as a near future technology. I wish they would be able to at least shoot in your general direction if you are right next to them.

Strength mode in my opinion is a lot more fun though. With strength and no silencer a zero recoil burst from either assault rifle can kill the heavy armor dudes in one go. You also get a chance to see the enemy AI at work which while not Stalker-level is pretty damn competent with flanking and creeping attacks.

Physics. Mostly destructible environments. Strength-throwing an enemy soldier through a bunch of sandbags. Nice.

Sandbox editor! WOW. Another several hours of game play from the demo. Extremely intuitive. The tank gun appears to have both the speed and drop demonstrating a ballistics mod of the weapons should be possible. The demo was fairly linear with a non-linear bubble around the bay, but overflying the island you can tell there is a LOT of potential for non-linear gameplay. Hell they have flyable helicopters.

I just can't believe how badly Crysis destroys the COD4 demo. COD4 actually takes the graphics glory on my crap GPU at playable framerates, but the linear action and confined spaces feel dated. The only thing I wish was in Crysis that can be found here is material penetration.

This game is like the cosmically polar opposite of Bioshock. It just feels right and nothing feels tacked on or gratuitous. Is is going to replace Stalker as my GOTY? The full game will tell.

Upvote 0
I got shot through the side of a shack or perhaps i was unlucky at it came through the window?!

It was cool a boat was shooting away and knocked the supports of an awning out which then covered over the window saving my arse!

The tree chopping and moving bushes are in dx9 with high settings which is nice.

I have to agree that Delta difficulty is the only option if only to stop the damn koreans speaking english ffs!!

The first time (normal) i run and gunned it using the armour and regening health to own everything. In delta mode your health takes a lot longer to come back and a head on confrontation will get you spanked. Headshots are 1 shot kill which is good but chest shots can seem to take a while to down them but i guess body armour makes that semi believable.

I actually bypassed a lot of the fighting just by swimming through the bay and cloaking when boats came near. Disabled both the radar and dl'ed the outpost data without being detected. Then whilst cloaked stole a jeep and ram raided the checkpoint :D.

First time it felt a little run of the mill but cranking up the difficulty certainly made it more interesting and challenged you to use alternative tactics to shooting everything on sight!

(Had a cool moment where i had uncloaked in a bush to recharge and a korean walked right pass without either me or him seeing each other. Only noticed him as i was cloaking to move!)

Upvote 0
Add some more sight seeing ~

Add some more sight seeing ~

:D

Crysis Demo - 1280x1024 NoAA
Texture/Shaders/Postprocessing/Water - Very High
Others - High
(With WinXP: High to Very High Patch)

Athlon X2 4600+
X1950Pro 256M
2G DDR2 800

92_380_72177dbb3031953.jpg

92_380_7a9245766d06c3a.jpg

92_380_7851fc1f41e92d2.jpg

92_380_30fbc0fca80f628.jpg

92_380_ca008d493de8187.jpg

92_380_f7722610b63e608.jpg

92_380_b5698be63499b14.jpg

Upvote 0
Just played through this and it looks amazing...ran OK on my 8800GTS/2.66 Dual Core/3GB RAM with nearly all settings on high. Weapons and game play all feel solidly implemented, but I have one really annoying criticism; damage. It's terrible. It's irritating that a game which places a lot of emphasis on stealthy requires you to empty whole magazines on enemy soldiers to take them down. Head shots seem to have little effect.

I found that the damage system at range seems to be based not on how accurate you are, but how many bullets you put into the enemy in quick succession. For instance, I fired about 30 rounds at one soldier in single shots and it didn't drop him. However, if you fire 5 rounds on full auto, it will take them down. This is annoying in the extreme, I had so many situations where 3 soldiers could be taken down in quick succession with 3 simple, silenced head shots, but instead, it degenerated into a full on fire fight where I ended up exhausting whole magazines.

Apart from that, the game is fantastic....looks brilliant, plays brilliant, good solid cutscenes and voice acting. Sound effects are awesome and I love the weapon customisation....can see some great potential for modmakers there. Think this is definitely one to pick up on release :D

Upvote 0
Shooting up a vehicle from afar with an MG and then watching it blowing up, flame and generate a thick plume of smoke,
the visual there on the beach, made me giddy thinking of a WW2 mod for it!

Whether that ever happens who knows.... other than that, the game doesn't seem to be all that fun once the novelty has worn off.

For some reason I can't run it in low/medium shader level, only high - dang I could do with some more fps. I get this half screen of white crap

Oh yeah - You get seen way to easily from afar!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0